Vintage die cast resource

spoons

Grand Master
I'm very pleased to announce that I've just about finished a vintage Star Wars die cast website and wanted to share it with the forum first - two months early Stu!

vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk

I'm sure there are a few typos and I still need a few photos but the key thing for me was to put something back into the community - and you'd be amazed at how hard it is to find out what ships were released on what cards. I hope the matrix is easy to use.

Many people have helped with photos (some are still to arrive) - and a big shout out to Mark Daniels. The site would also be a lot less glossy without Kim Simmons letting me post his original photo art - really stoked that he was happy to help.

I also pinched a couple of Craig Stevens' musings from here - I pm'd you Craig but the message is unread?

Feel free to give good and bad feedback and point out any errors. I'd like the site to become something akin to the Jawas Armory which helped me so much when I started.

shawn_k

Sith Lord
It looks great from the quick read I've just had. It's great to see another hobby resource come online. Great work!

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Agreed.

I'm looking forward to reading it all. One small thing - which you'll know anyway - is despite what the cardback says the Bomber wasn't released with the Falcon, Y-Wing, and Cruiser.

From the quick glances I had, I've learned new things. Great stuff.

spoons

Grand Master
Cheers guys and Ryan any help with Toltoys images would be great!

And Chipsteak - the Bomber page should make that clear. Likewise the Darth Vader TIE was after the other series 1 ships.

spoons

Grand Master
currymonster6290 said:
great site nice and easy to use. any plans to put the store display on!

Would love to put the display on and might do a feature on store displays at some point. I need to buy one first :)

BlueDog

Sith Lord
spoons said:
Cheers guys and Ryan any help with Toltoys images would be great!

And Chipsteak - the Bomber page should make that clear. Likewise the Darth Vader TIE was after the other series 1 ships.

I've not owned a TT die cast before mate but I would try either James or Jonathan. Pretty sure Jonathan would have a few within his amazing cardback collection.

I'll drop James a message.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Great site, Andy :) Learnt a few things already. Would love to know a little more about why Kenner cancelled the Tie Bomber. Also interested to know whether it was usual they made small releases of toys around their before the wider release?

One thing; your links needs amending at the bottom of the separate vehicle pages after the Series I vehicles: for the Star Destroyer, Y-Wing, Falcon, etc. they seem to link to the previous page rather than the next one.

Excellent all round though. Look forward to watching it grow!

spoons

Grand Master
Keep the feedback coming - that's a good spot Simon! I'll get that sorted

Ryan - James is on the case and has sent me cardback images. MOCs would be good too.

spoons

Grand Master
ScruffyLookingNH said:
Great site, Andy :) Learnt a few things already. Would love to know a little more about why Kenner cancelled the Tie Bomber. Also interested to know whether it was usual they made small releases of toys around their before the wider release?

!

That's a good question too Simon - and in short I don't know and no. The bomber didn't have a large scale counterpart and didnt do anything - my guess is that it's was release was an attempt to boost the line but interest was low.

I'm not aware of any other test marketing releases but not sure we would be if the marketing worked and then ship or figure was a goer.

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
Wow Andy I'm in shock, you said you'd do it and delivered it early.

Looks really really good pal, a fantastic resource, will have a better look this evening but top top work.

Now all we need is you to sort yourself out and get the book written :wink:

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Brilliant site and a valuable resource, was an honour to have been asked to contribute some images.

Great work Andy (and your dad!).

Joe

Grand Master
Great work Andy, die cast is one of many areas of Vintage that I have zero knowledge about so it's great to finally have a dedicated website! Really enjoyed reading up on them so far and Kim's pictures are a nice touch!

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
As someone who's been designing GUIs and websites for over 20 years I've got to say that looks great - really nice balance of text, pictures and simple-to-use menus. I love the die-cast range and find it really nostalgic but don't know much about it, so I'm going to be a regular visitor. :)

I had a die-cast TIE Fighter and Slave 1 as a kid, and I now want to own a TIE Fighter MOC more than ever.

spoons

Grand Master
Thanks again all - I'm really pleased that the comments have all been positive. I can take no credit for the design of the site, that was all my dad's doing, though the starburst theme and Imperial Cruiser pointers were my ideas :wink:

Ryan - James' Toltoy Land Speeder and Clipper cards are now up, I'm really only missing the Canadian Boxed items and a couple of Special Offers which should be coming soon. If anyone has a cardback with the Y-Wing sticker correction on I need that one too.

Grant

Sith Lord
Awesome stuff Andy. So good that people like yourself do this kind of stuff just as a labour of love for the hobby. 8)

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
Very nice site indeed. I don't know much about them either but always liked the die cast range and to have a site that has all the info about them is superb. Great work :wink:

spoons

Grand Master
Thanks Grant and Bungle. Grant, i'm just following in Joe and Jason's footprints but picked an area with only 11 things to collect :)

What I've found interesting is that the TIE fighter page has more hits than any other page - a popular ship

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom