TFA Destroys Box Office

r1hvy

Padawan
Did The Forca Awakens overtake the Avatar record in the end?
No Oscars tonight, not surprised really! :-/

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Smashed it in the US and UK. Not worldwide though. Not helped by the global deflation, although it still wouldn't have quite made it.

kingshearer

Jedi Master
r1hvy said:
Did The Forca Awakens overtake the Avatar record in the end?
No Oscars tonight, not surprised really! :-/
Yer didn't even win the visual effects that Mad Max won 6 I must check it out on my android.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Nice to see TFA holding up well vs A:EG. EG smashed the opening weekend records and looks like it could catch Avatar worldwide. However, despite being miles ahead of TFA over the first week of release, both here and in the US, TFA's small drops have allowed it to reel Endgame in and it's now comfortably ahead in the US. TFA held onto its second weekend crown and the second week dailies are way ahead of Endgame's. EG's 3rd Friday was $16m, whereas TFA's was $34.4. Not sure about here, as box office numbers are more difficult to get hold of, but doubt very much now that EG will overtake TFA.

It just shows what an epic box office run TFA had- $936.6m US and £124m UK will take a lot of beating. Eventually, inflation will allow something to overtake it though. EPIV equates to around $1.4 billion in the US when adjusted for inflation!

Palifan

Sith Lord
Cazza said:
Nice to see TFA holding up well vs A:EG. EG smashed the opening weekend records and looks like it could catch Avatar worldwide. However, despite being miles ahead of TFA over the first week of release, both here and in the US, TFA's small drops have allowed it to reel Endgame in and it's now comfortably ahead in the US. TFA held onto its second weekend crown and the second week dailies are way ahead of Endgame's. EG's 3rd Friday was $16m, whereas TFA's was $34.4. Not sure about here, as box office numbers are more difficult to get hold of, but doubt very much now that EG will overtake TFA.

It just shows what an epic box office run TFA had- $936.6m US and £124m UK will take a lot of beating. Eventually, inflation will allow something to overtake it though. EPIV equates to around $1.4 billion in the US when adjusted for inflation!

I've been looking at these figures also recently and think you're right about EG not being able to take TFA Box Office crown. We'll see how it all pans out but even though I did think EG was a satisfying end to the last 10 years of Marvel, I didn't feel that it was quite as rewatchable as Infinity War. Saying that though I spent 2 years working on Missing Link that was released 2 weeks before EG and it's completely tanked, I should have gone into VFX's!

Ian

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Palifan said:
Cazza said:

I've been looking at these figures also recently and think you're right about EG not being able to take TFA Box Office crown. We'll see how it all pans out but even though I did think EG was a satisfying end to the last 10 years of Marvel, I didn't feel that it was quite as rewatchable as Infinity War. Saying that though I spent 2 years working on Missing Link that was released 2 weeks before EG and it's completely tanked, I should have gone into VFX's!

Ian

Ian, that must be so disappointing, having put so much time into something :( To be honest, NOTHING was going to survive against EG. It sucked the life out of other films that came immediately before and after it. Lots of casuals see it as an event movie and save their cash for that film only. I suspect Missing Link will do quite well on downloads etc :)

Palifan

Sith Lord
Cazza said:
Palifan said:
Cazza said:

Ian

Ian, that must be so disappointing, having put so much time into something :( To be honest, NOTHING was going to survive against EG. It sucked the life out of other films that came immediately before and after it. Lots of casuals see it as an event movie and save their cash for that film only. I suspect Missing Link will do quite well on downloads etc :)

Thanks for that and I also felt that we wouldn't have much hope being released closed to EG also. Never mind, there's always Shaun The Sheep Movie 2 coming later this year that might have a bit more luck :D

Ian

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom