Have we seen the last of the Sith?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I might be wrong here but I can't remember Kilo Ren or Snoke actually referencing themselves as Sith in TFA. Been wandering if they are a new type of dark side users or something, I've always thought it would be cool to have loads of dark side force users that fight amongst themselves.

Then again I hope that Snoke is Darth Pleagueis, in which case they are Sith, or perhaps not? Just wandering what others think?

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Sith was a cult of the Darkside. I think their lineage has been wiped out.

The Knights if Ren I feel is a migration and rebranding of what the Sith are but with slightly altered philosophy.

Starting with Snoke, the new order will be the Knights of Ren. Named after their first Saint. The knight of Ben.

Unlike the stately dynamic of authoritarian rule by fear that was Imperial Empire, the first order operate on slightly different incarnation.

Luke ordinary Empires, the imperials controlled through fear, political subversion, slavery and control. They would govern systems.

The early indication is that the First Irder behave far more like terrorist groups. Child soldiers, rampant murder of civilians etc.

There first action was to destroy multiple planets, including the rebel base. There is no interest in governor here.
The empire destroyed one planet. An example to rule by fear. The First Irder do not show the same type of restraint.
This is what it think any way. Could be wrong, but the evidence suggests that myth reflects reality, and the OT was set at the end of empires. The sequel trilogy is set in the new world of global terrorism l.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I think criticism of TFA is that it's to much like ANH. This is true and the constant nods to the OT don't help this.

But I also feel that this is just the surface of what the film appears to be. A more detailed look into the motivations of the characters and story actually provides an excellent fertile interpretation into the Star Wars myth.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Thanks Grant, some good points and information.

I don't evan think the Sith are mentioned in the origional trilogy are they? :? Just the dark side?

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Grant_C said:
I think criticism of TFA is that it's to much like ANH. This is true and the constant nods to the OT don't help this.

But I also feel that this is just the surface of what the film appears to be. A more detailed look into the motivations of the characters and story actually provides an excellent fertile interpretation into the Star Wars myth.

I've heard TFA being referred to in the press and online as 'the Star Wars reboot' which given its similarities to ANH is understandable, but wow, we'd have strung up JJ if TFA had been promoted as a Star Wars reboot before anyone had seen it.

If EP8 follows that reboot trend then it should be Dagobah-type training based for Rey in particular, but more interestingly, for Kylo as well. As we left it, he's headed off to finish his training from Snoke. I think we'll find out pretty early in EP8 whether the Sith concept still exists or whether Snoke is something different.

I think he's probably something different to the Sith purely because we even though the film watchers are aware of the Sith and what it means, I get the feeling that the people who'd actually live in a galaxy ruled by Palpatine wouldn't have known what he was. He's hardly going to advertise the fact! So therefore, the whole Sith concept would still be wrapped in myth and mystery, and unless Snoke had previously come across The Emperor or Vader, then all he'd know about it was conjecture from stories etc.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom