R5d4 sticker error or just faded?

Cardbackkid

Jedi Master
Hey guys bought this little feller the other day as I noticed the sticker looked a bit unusual and something I haven't seen before ? There doesn't seem to be any red print on the sticker so just wondered what your opinions are is it a factory error maybe the ink ran out during the printing process or is it just faded and lost its colour ? You can just make out the lightest bit of red on the right hand side biggest bar but all the others no sign of any colour back or front ? Look forward to hear what you guys think :)
image_zps1snmr8nk.png

image_zpsto1b7djt.png

BlueDog

Sith Lord
I'd bet on fading judging by the condition of the figure, red is always a colour that is susceptible to loss of pigment especially with exposure to UV.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Looks really cool but defo fading. The two long (ex)red bars to the front still have the slightest hint of red about them.

Ian_C

Jedi Master
That's crazy the other colours remain bright like that, but again, judging by the plastic condition, this is fading.

Throw it on ebay as a "no red" variant, and you'll make a ton. :)

JUST KIDDING. Never do that.

Ian

olisuds

Sith Lord
Christian use to own a similar type of QC error figure

r5_soe.JPG

http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1076389

It looks very similar to that. Although there does appear to be a slight hint of red in there still and the figure is badly discoloured so wouldn't surprise me if there was an element of fading in there.

Actually one thing that stands out for me with both these figures is how bright white the sticker is considering the discolouration of the figures. Or perhaps its just the yellowed bodies make the sticker look whiter.

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
It is strange. I'll have to dig mine out and take a picture. It was nice and minty till it got sun damaged, but the red was affected much more than any of the other colours. As with the ones above the only other obvious damage was the white plastic on the dome.

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
Has there ever been evidence of a mint fig with a no red sticker, until that I would put money on uv fading

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
110% stone cold UV fading. The colour red is most susceptible to fading as it absorbs lots of UV light.

http://www.reference.com/science/color-fades-fastest-9b1fdaf25522e5a8

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
Here's my R5 after getting too much sun on his left-hand side. You can see how badly it's affected the red whilst scarcely touching the other colours.

r5.jpg

Cardbackkid

Jedi Master
Thanks everyone for your opinions it seems unanimous on it being faded the only bit still swaying me to possible error is there's no red on both sides :?: does that seem weird to anyone else ?

olisuds

Sith Lord
Dannywhiteley said:
110% stone cold UV fading. The colour red is most susceptible to fading as it absorbs lots of UV light.

http://www.reference.com/science/color-fades-fastest-9b1fdaf25522e5a8

Fantastic - I didn't know that. I think you've nailed it!

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
olisuds said:

r5_soe.JPG

It looks very similar to that. Although there does appear to be a slight hint of red in there still and the figure is badly discoloured so wouldn't surprise me if there was an element of fading in there.

Actually one thing that stands out for me with both these figures is how bright white the sticker is considering the discolouration of the figures. Or perhaps its just the yellowed bodies make the sticker look whiter.

I would be willing to bet my house that Christian's figure is similarly discoloured. It's not just a figure missing red apps, it's a figure discoloured all over - the plastic is yellowed, blue is faded, grey is really faded, and red is gone altogether. Not to assign any blame to Christian as I would probably have thought the same as him back then.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
olisuds said:

r5_soe.JPG

I would be willing to bet my house that Christian's figure is similarly discoloured. It's not just a figure missing red apps, it's a figure discoloured all over - the plastic is yellowed, blue is faded, grey is really faded, and red is gone altogether. Not to assign any blame to Christian as I would probably have thought the same as him back then.

Sounds like he got a good deal if he got $90 for it :shock:

Christian

Jedi Master
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
olisuds said:

r5_soe.JPG

A blast from the past! The R5 was, in glorious hindsight, a faded sticker due to UV exposure. Still looks cool though!

olisuds

Sith Lord
Still looked cool though. Incredible how all the red colour completely faded away but the blue was still there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom