So I bought an AT-AT Walker on eBay...

jayums

Jedi Master
It's a Kenner ROTJ version. Reasonable enough price IMO so took a punt.

Arrived today, and the AT AT is mint, and box and inserts look aged. It has instructions, sticker sheet, guns and batteries, nice non yellowy guns, and a Kenner bag with all the goodies etc

The box has kaybee price sticker, old yellow tape etc... but it also has a flap that reads : printed by 'R smith and crew'.

Alarm bells ring reproduction etc etc !! but the box looks aged and authentic, sharp print etc

I was wondering if any of you chaps (who unlike me know arses from elbows!) could tell me if this is legit or otherwise?

Not being entirely lazy; did a search myself but to no avail... I've seen some guys on here with monster at at walker collections, so hoping someone can help!

Will post pics if needs be.

lejackal

Grand Master
Would love to add pics to the KayBee library if you wouldn't mind sharing. No idea on the printing though I'm afraid.

jayums

Jedi Master
lejackal said:
Would love to add pics to the KayBee library if you wouldn't mind sharing. No idea on the printing though I'm afraid.

Actually I lied... It's not a price sticker, but is a bright yellow kaybee 'this items needs a alkaline battery - ask the store clerk' sticker.

Let me know if that's still of any I nterest and will post pics this avo.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Post some pics - in truth I'd be much more worried about the "non yellowy guns" than by the entire box being repro.

Yellowy chin guns are good. Bit like when you see Palitoy Death Star canopies being sold on Ebay and the seller is like "ooh these are crystal clear". Time to run a mile!

lejackal

Grand Master
jayums said:
lejackal said:

Actually I lied... It's not a price sticker, but is a bright yellow kaybee 'this items needs a alkaline battery - ask the store clerk' sticker.

Let me know if that's still of any I nterest and will post pics this avo.
Yes please mate, that would be fantastic

jayums

Jedi Master
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
Post some pics - in truth I'd be much more worried about the "non yellowy guns" than by the entire box being repro.

Yellowy chin guns are good. Bit like when you see Palitoy Death Star canopies being sold on Ebay and the seller is like "ooh these are crystal clear". Time to run a mile!

Will do. I know what you mean!

I didn't pay too much imo and can always get a refund so not unduly worried about it - and perhaps perversely love a good bit of detective work - so will post some pics later and see what you make of it. Ta

jayums

Jedi Master
IMG_0341_zpspm5mqk5r.jpg

IMG_0340_zpsveubl2xa.jpg

IMG_0342_zpsrz431wp3.jpg

IMG_0344_zpsodbn3tal.jpg

IMG_0348_zpsca3bpkhn.jpg

IMG_0347_zpskrct5im2.jpg

IMG_0345_zpsbqckay3l.jpg

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Looks really nice to me. I notice the instructions are ESB but the box is ROTJ is that normal?

Nice purchase anyway. :)

jayums

Jedi Master
Cardbackkid said:
I'm not too cluded up on boxed items but it looks genuine to me ... and I prefer the jedi box to empire :)

Thanks for the advice. I'd never seen one with a 'printed by stamp' on it so just rang repro alarm bells despite the fact it looks and feels old. Personally I prefer the ESB box (I guess cos it ties in with the movie more - although I seem to remember an AT AT briefly in ROTJ - although maybe that's the special editions?). I might well put it on the sales here in the near future as it was a impulse buy (not my first!) as I'm trying to concentrate on loose collecting and I'm even getting priced out of those at the mo sadly !

jayums

Jedi Master
theforceuk said:
Looks really nice to me. I notice the instructions are ESB but the box is ROTJ is that normal?

Nice purchase anyway. :)

Yes I only just clocked that (duh!) - sure it can't be right??, but it does feel old at least, a bit brittle and aged etc same with the stickers!

Impulse buy without doing my research so was asking for trouble!

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Well I very much doubt that that box originally came with that instruction sheet, but that's hardly a reason to question the authenticity of the box. It's common practice for people to replace missing items with parts and pieces from other incomplete ones in order to make one complete whole one. I would imagine at some point (possibly the seller that sold it to you, but perhaps a previous owner) has added a set of ESB instructions simply to 'complete' the item. I don't think that should ring any alarm bells as it's perfectly clear those instructions almost certainly aren't original to that particular AT-AT, but that aside, the rest looks decidedly vintage to me, so chin up :). Hopefully as you say, someone with a similar ROJ boxed AT-AT can set your mind at ease regarding the 'Printed by R Smith & Crew', but it certainly looks to me like you have yourself a nice vintage item, so congratulations :)

jayums

Jedi Master
Snaketibe said:
Well I very much doubt that that box originally came with that instruction sheet, but that's hardly a reason to question the authenticity of the box. It's common practice for people to replace missing items with parts and pieces from other incomplete ones in order to make one complete whole one. I would imagine at some point (possibly the seller that sold it to you, but perhaps a previous owner) has added a set of ESB instructions simply to 'complete' the item. I don't think that should ring any alarm bells as it's perfectly clear those instructions almost certainly aren't original to that particular AT-AT, but that aside, the rest looks decidedly vintage to me, so chin up :). Hopefully as you say, someone with a similar ROJ boxed AT-AT can set your mind at ease regarding the 'Printed by R Smith & Crew', but it certainly looks to me like you have yourself a nice vintage item, so congratulations :)

Ta for the advice. Yep it does all feel right; just never seen that particular stamp on my other walker or vehicles, and it just seemed odd! Will see if I can pick up a ROTJ booklet for it!

Palifan

Sith Lord
I'm pretty sure I've seen other vintage boxed items over the years with instructions from the previous film. I could be wrong but if the instructions didn't change they may well have just been getting rid of some unused stock when they first released the new box. Just a thought but I'm sure it won't be too difficult to find some Jedi ones.

It all looks great though and I'd be very happy with it.

Ian

jayums

Jedi Master
Palifan said:
I'm pretty sure I've seen other vintage boxed items over the years with instructions from the previous film. I could be wrong but if the instructions didn't change they may well have just been getting rid of some unused stock when they first released the new box. Just a thought but I'm sure it won't be too difficult to find some Jedi ones.

Ian

Cheers Ian. Yes that thought did cross my mind; in fact Im pretty sure I had an ESB falcon that had a Star Wars leaflet with it as a kid.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
jayums said:
Palifan said:

Ian

Cheers Ian. Yes that thought did cross my mind; in fact Im pretty sure I had an ESB falcon that had a Star Wars leaflet with it as a kid.
That is true, it did. I have no idea if that continued beyond Empire into the Jedi era though. I'd always assumed it was simply Palitoy messing up, since the Star Wars logo is on them, but so is the Palitoy one, and since Palitoy never issued the Falcon in a Star Wars box, it's not a case of them recycling instructions from a previous release, it's them simply including ones printed with the wrong logo (probably based off the Kenner SW ones, of course). Perhaps Palitoy had planned to release a SW boxed version of the Falcon, but then delayed production / release until the new film came out, but had already printed the instruction leaflets and didn't want to reprint them? Who knows! :)

As for other items coming with instructions from a previous release, I will bow to the superior knowledge of others in that regard. I suppose it's certainly possible, but either way, as Ian says, finding some Jedi instructions shouldn't be that hard if you want some. Good luck!

jayums

Jedi Master
Snaketibe said:
jayums said:
Palifan said:

Ian

That is true, it did. I have no idea if that continued beyond Empire into the Jedi era though. I'd always assumed it was simply Palitoy messing up, since the Star Wars logo is on them, but so is the Palitoy one, and since Palitoy never issued the Falcon in a Star Wars box, it's not a case of them recycling instructions from a previous release, it's them simply including ones printed with the wrong logo (probably based off the Kenner SW ones, of course). Perhaps Palitoy had planned to release a SW boxed version of the Falcon, but then delayed production / release until the new film came out, but had already printed the instruction leaflets and didn't want to reprint them? Who knows! :)

As for other items coming with instructions from a previous release, I will bow to the superior knowledge of others in that regard. I suppose it's certainly possible, but either way, as Ian says, finding some Jedi instructions shouldn't be that hard if you want some. Good luck!

Yep that figures, I'm certain mine was a palitoy falcon. I have seen a few ROTJ leaflets around so I'm sure it won't be too difficult to pick one up for it. Many thanks all.

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
Box is legit. I have seen similar crew stamps on other vintage boxes. Alot of the union shops were proud of the boxes they produced and proudly marked them. It was also a great way to trace back if there was a quality issue.

jayums

Jedi Master
tiefighterboy said:
Box is legit. I have seen similar crew stamps on other vintage boxes. Alot of the union shops were proud of the boxes they produced and proudly marked them. It was also a great way to trace back if there was a quality issue.

Cheers, interesting. Not something I've seen on this side of the pond. So that's my learning done for the day! Many thanks :)

Thanks again to everyone who posted advice on this thread; much appreciated.

As an aside, if anyone reading this thread happens to have a ROTJ leaflet FS, or see one about, then feel free to PM me. Haven't looked too hard as yet to be fair; seems like tons of ESB ones but ROTJ less common perhaps.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom