Will I find many Palitoy MOC's at Celebration?

MarkG

Jedi Master
There was a fair few Palitoy items at Celebration Europe last year. Dave Tree had a stall with many on. Picked up a nice partially sealed 12bk Leia for a 'cheap' price... he had a fully sealed one for £4k. All where on display too.. mucho eye candy.

lejackal

Grand Master
wrighty said:
Wreck-It Ralph said:
Is the general consensus that it is not worth going to Celebration Orlando if your sole purpose is to buy Palitoy 12,20 and 30 back figures?

I don't think anyone goes to Celebration to buy specific items. You go to enjoy the atmosphere, meet your friends and have fun!! :lol:
I'm not sure he's collecting for fun :roll:

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
Yeah....I'm not expecting to pick up anything specific in Orlando (but finding a Jedi carrycase to complete my set would be nice)

With regards to getting MOC's there I'd worry about getting thrm back in hand luggage let alone checked bags.

You might want to look into sending them back....i think there's still a Fedex on International Drive not too far from the event.

.....or maybe a nice Tractor Boy might be able to help 8)

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
lejackal said:
wrighty said:
Wreck-It Ralph said:
Is the general consensus that it is not worth going to Celebration Orlando if your sole purpose is to buy Palitoy 12,20 and 30 back figures?

I don't think anyone goes to Celebration to buy specific items. You go to enjoy the atmosphere, meet your friends and have fun!! :lol:
I'm not sure he's collecting for fun :roll:

I would be going to specifically buy items to add to my collection as that is what I enjoy and that is fun to me, I dont have many friends on here as I have only just joined, I guess what I enjoy is different to some of the other members on here.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
robpmarsh said:
Yeah....I'm not expecting to pick up anything specific in Orlando (but finding a Jedi carrycase to complete my set would be nice)

With regards to getting MOC's there I'd worry about getting thrm back in hand luggage let alone checked bags.

You might want to look into sending them back....i think there's still a Fedex on International Drive not too far from the event.

.....or maybe a nice Tractor Boy might be able to help 8)

Good point. If you can get them in your hand luggage is there any problem getting them through security at the airport?

maxf

Jedi Master
Celebration isnt a vintage Star Wars event! Vintage is part of it, but it's all things star wars - from cosplay, to props, to fan art, to autographs, to tattoos and, of course, toys. Anybody going purely to pick up vintage toys, especially anything specific, will come away after a couple of hours wondering why they went. Go for Star Wars!

wrighty

Sith Lord
Wreck-It Ralph said:
I would be going to specifically buy items to add to my collection as that is what I enjoy and that is fun to me, I dont have many friends on here as I have only just joined, I guess what I enjoy is different to some of the other members on here.

That's a long way to go to try pick something up that you will not 100% sure will be available. If buying is all you are interested in and not everything Star Wars, I would suggest saving your money on flight and hotels and just wait for items to come on the forums, FB and eBay. This game is for the long haul no short cuts even with tons of $$$$$!! 8)

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I don't really see the sense in going solely to buy stuff. It will cost you $1000 to get there and stay at a hotel, so before you've bought anything at all you have already spent enough money to have bought one or maybe even two Palitoy MOCs.

And then you're paying a 50% premium on everything because things are always more expensive at events than they are online.

Wreck-It Ralph said:
Are you saying there were items for sale but not on display?

This doesn't just apply to events, it's the same on forums and Facebook. That is why networking in the hobby is so important, most high end stuff never even goes on public sale. I would highly recommend going to Celebration to meet people.

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
Nobody should go to a convention solely to buy vintage. As has been stated, most things are marked up, that's not to say you can't find nice odd ball items at decent prices, but other than that you will pay way above the odds. I am just going for all the man hugs.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
edd_jedi said:
I don't really see the sense in going solely to buy stuff. It will cost you $1000 to get there and stay at a hotel, so before you've bought anything at all you have already spent enough money to have bought one or maybe even two Palitoy MOCs.

And then you're paying a 50% premium on everything because things are always more expensive at events than they are online.

Wreck-It Ralph said:
Are you saying there were items for sale but not on display?

This doesn't just apply to events, it's the same on forums and Facebook. That is why networking in the hobby is so important, most high end stuff never even goes on public sale. I would highly recommend going to Celebration to meet people.

Sound like good advice. I definately need to do more networking and meet more people as I have to agree with you that most of the high end stuff does get sold behind closed doors. When I collected the first time back in 2001 most of the rare items I purchased came from one person and they were not on the open market and now I am back collecting the second time and I have picked up another batch of rare items in another private deal. I have not decided whether to go to Celebration yet it will depend what I can buy in March and therefore how much money I have spent. If I do go it will be to buy stuff, meet people and if I am honest I will enjoy the atmosphere as well.

Thanks for your help

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
If I do go and I do buy a rare item/s how would you recommend I get it home 1.Hand Luggage 2.Hold Luggage 3.Mail it 4.Other?

Thanks for your help

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Take it in your hand luggage. That's what I do. It's far safer as you have it with you at all times and are solely responsible for all handling of said piece.

I flew to Amsterdam for 4 hours to pick up a rare moc. If that doesn't arouse customs suspicion I don't know what would. I took 2 Mocs out there in star cases and brought one back.

I didn't get stopped anywhere and my bag got scanned each way.

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Everyone in our SW collecting world has different interests. Different aspects excite different people and of course we all have the right to pursue what makes us happy :!: It's the diversity and variety that makes this hobby so interesting :)

Last year for Cel London I made a decision to prioritorise getting a vintage poster of mine signed up by the relavent stars at the show. Unfortunately it did take up the majority of my time over the 3 days. So yes I felt I missed out on many talks and activities but I managed to do exactly what I hoped to do-and I am obviously grateful I did get to meet Carrie Fisher and Kenny Baker again and have their signatures grace my poster :D

Therefore I don't think it's fair to give someone a hard time just because they have chosen to focus just on picking up MOCs-but I would advise u Anthony not to go to Orlando this time round as it is highly probable u will leave disappointed mate :!:

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
I think I will take your advice and avoid Orlando this year as it will probably cost me a lot of money and probably not yield much in the way of results (Palitoy Figures). I would like to clarify though that I collect Palitoy Carded figures because I love Star Wars and not because I am an investor. I will try to go to FF but my reason to go to this show would be a combination of meeting people and if I am lucky buying something as well.

Thanks for your advice and help.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Wreck-It Ralph said:
I think I will take your advice and avoid Orlando this year as it will probably cost me a lot of money and probably not yield much in the way of results (Palitoy Figures). I would like to clarify though that I collect Palitoy Carded figures because I love Star Wars and not because I am an investor. I will try to go to FF but my reason to go to this show would be a combination of meeting people and if I am lucky buying something as well.

Sounds like the best plan.

The love of Star Wars is the key factor that binds us all on here mate, all walks of life reside on here, and we all collect in different ways, different perceptions, different budgets, different senses of humour ( :lol: ) but the majority have a passion for SW. Collect what you want as you want, take advice on here as its worth its weight in gold, and enjoy your passion :wink:

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Wreck-It Ralph said:

You are many times more likely to get your palitoy figures there.

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Celebration isnt about what vintage you can get. It's about embracing your love for all things Star Wars with fellow fans and vintage mates. Any vintage you get is a bonus. Expect lots of good fan swag if you make your own to swap for it. And harder to get Kenner and Mexican stuff on the vintage front.

:)

Jason

wrighty

Sith Lord
Wreck-It Ralph said:
Hi

I have just found out that there will not be a celebration next year why is this?

Thanks

Oh no!! You not gonna be able to pick up all the rare items!! :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom