**COO VARIANTS** by Plantainman

plantainman

Jedi Master
SAVORY100 said:
Just a quick note to say thank you for the work you are putting into these guides, logging the variants, let alone the difficulty of photographing the COOs should be applauded! 8)

Thanks Steve, Much appreciated. As you've guessed, its quite time consuming process hence why the updates are slow and infrequent. I started the thread 3 and a half years ago, and we're only 12 figures deep lol

As a Coo variant collector though, Its how I get my kicks, And I'm quite keen to share with people the main variants for as many figures as possible, because, sometimes one just isn't enough :p

plantainman

Jedi Master
Last day of 2016, and 12 different figures and their variants explored, Seems like a good point for a photo update of what has been covered thus far in this thread. Click on the links at the bottom to discover more in depth the CoO variants of your figure of choice...

SAM_5942.jpg

SAM_4539.JPG

SAM_4864.JPG

Den SAM_6165.JPG

SAM_6324.JPG

SAM_5941.JPG

SAM_5089.JPG

SAM_5871.JPG

SAM_5904.JPG

fett SAM_4573.JPG

SAM_5954.JPG

SAM_6112.JPG

----------------------

Links :

WALRUS MAN GUIDE|RED SNAGGLETOOTH GUIDE|HAMMERHEAD GUIDE|GREEDO GUIDE*|

LUKE BESPIN GUIDE*|HAN SOLO BESPIN GUIDE|OBI WAN KENOBI GUIDE|DARTH VADER GUIDE*|

BOBA FETT GUIDE|DENGAR GUIDE|IG-88 GUIDE|4-LOM GUIDE|

LUKE X-WING GUIDE|IMPERIAL COMMANDER GUIDE*|AT-AT COMMANDER GUIDE|AT-AT DRIVER GUIDE|

LUKE HOTH GUIDE|REBEL SOLDIER GUIDE|LEIA HOTH GUIDE|HAN SOLO HOTH GUIDE*|

ADMIRAL ACKBAR GUIDE|NIEN NUNB GUIDE|BIKER SCOUT GUIDE*|REBEL COMMANDO GUIDE*|

* coming soon

Any discussion is welcomed :mrgreen:

Last edited:

plantainman

Jedi Master
Obi Wan Kenobi No Coo Variants

• There are not any No Coo variants of Obi Wan Kenobi Family I, Only MIHK, So we'll focus only on families II & III.......

• You will have to excuse the tipless sabers on most of the displayed Kenobi variants below (only the LL/PBP II2a is complete with LL cape & intact LL saber), It is a product of many factors, which I won't go into, But suffice to say, We all know what a Kenner Kenobi saber looks like complete, and anyone that doesn't, Please visit the Imperial Gunnery website to see all the saber variants for yourself. This is a thread which mainly focus' towards the Coo's...

That said, Here's the guide.....

Coo guide...
Left to right,
Family II 2a, Family II 2b, Family III 2a & Family III 2b

SAM_6495_no_coo_4_arrows.jpg

Family II figures...
Left to right,
Family II 2a Kenner, Family II 2a Lili Ledy/PBP, Family II 2b Kenner & Family II 2b Lili Ledy/PBP

SAM_6497.JPG

All of the family II No Coo figures come with Grey hair. The Ledy variants of II2a/2b have much darker grey hair to that of their Kenner cousins, illustrated below, whereby the darker hair LL figures are positioned at 3 & 9 O'clock positions......
Please also draw attention to the eye colour and eyebrows, Where the Ledy figures have a browner tone to the eye application, and they also have bushier eyebrows than their Kenner cousins...
The LL figures have a unique cape and saber too compared to their Kenner cousins. The LL sabers have a very thick tip, normally with a stress mark where it meets the thicker shaft of the saber. The cape is of a lighter tone, it is also the shortest cut of all Kenobi capes, and does not have a cross-hatching or zip sound on either side of the cape.

Family II face features...
Clockwise from top,
Family II 2a Kenner, Family II 2a Lili Ledy/PBP, Family II 2b Kenner & Family II 2b Lili Ledy/PBP

SAM_6500.JPG

Common opinion is that the LL and PBP Kenobi is the same figure, given they both have the thicker tip stress marked saber etc, But there are definitely different paint applications to be found, suggesting perhaps a small difference between the figures production, Look at the eyes on the two figures below....

Family II LL/PBP figures...
Left to right,
Family II 2a Lili Ledy/PBP & Family II 2b Lili Ledy/PBP

SAM_6504b.JPG

Family III figures...
Left to right,
Family III 2a Kenner (White), Family III 2a Kenner (Grey), Family III 2b Kenner (White) & Family III 2b Kenner (Grey)

SAM_6505.JPG

When we get back into family III, We see the re-emergence of the 'white hair' variant of this figure that previously had only appeared in family I (not seen in this thread as that family is only MIHK). Both III2a & III2b can be found in both white & grey hair.....

Clockwise from top,
Family III 2a Kenner (White), Family III 2a Kenner (Grey), Family III 2b Kenner (White) & Family III 2b Kenner (Grey)

SAM_6506.JPG

So here are all eight No Coo Obi Wan Kenobi variants....
Left to right,
Family II 2a Kenner, Family II 2a Lili Ledy/PBP, Family II 2b Kenner, Family II 2b Lili Ledy/PBP, Family III 2a Kenner (White), Family III 2a Kenner (Grey), Family III 2b Kenner (White) & Family III 2b Kenner (Grey)

SAM_6506j.JPG

Peace

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links :

WALRUS MAN GUIDE | RED SNAGGLETOOTH GUIDE | HAMMERHEAD GUIDE | GREEDO GUIDE |

LUKE BESPIN GUIDE | HAN SOLO BESPIN GUIDE | OBI WAN KENOBI GUIDE | DARTH VADER GUIDE |

BOBA FETT GUIDE | DENGAR GUIDE | IG-88 GUIDE | 4-LOM GUIDE | STORMTROOPER GUIDE |

LUKE X-WING GUIDE | IMPERIAL COMMANDER GUIDE | AT-AT COMMANDER GUIDE | AT-AT DRIVER GUIDE |

LUKE HOTH GUIDE | REBEL SOLDIER GUIDE | LEIA HOTH GUIDE | HAN SOLO HOTH GUIDE |

ADMIRAL ACKBAR GUIDE | NIEN NUNB GUIDE | BIKER SCOUT GUIDE | REBEL COMMANDO GUIDE |

discussion welcomed!

Last edited:

plantainman

Jedi Master
Admiral Ackbar Variants

• We'll be ignoring the Kenner & Ledy HK Coo Variants for they are much of a muchness (The LL Ackbar carries the HK Coo and unlike most other Ledy produced variants, is very very close in look & style to the Kenner version).

• We will be concentrating on the two No Coo figures, Euro [smooth scar] & Meccano [rough scar], As well as the Taiwan colour variants.

Coo guide...
Left to right,
Euro [smooth scar], Meccano [rough scar] & Taiwan

SAM_ack_1.jpg

From the front it is very difficult to distinguish between the two No Coo figures (and also the regular HK figure for that matter) as they look very similar.....

No Coo figures...
Left to right,
Euro [smooth scar] & Meccano [rough scar]

SAM_ack_2.JPG

As well as a different scar, there are minor differences too, like for example see below, the injection point upon the heads from moulding...

No Coo figures mould injection point differences...
Left to right,
Euro [smooth scar] & Meccano [rough scar]

SAM_ack_3.JPG

it is so so difficult to photograph these figures No Coo markings clearly, But suffice to say when you have both in hand, the different erased Coos are very obviously different. The Euro figure has a more 'raised' 'smooth' deleted coo, Like other Euro figures like Lando and 4-lom for example. The Meccano figure has a 'shallower' 'scratchy' 'rough' deleted coo, which is more obviously a 'scar', or a depression if you will.

The Euro figure is relatively common, About 9/10 No Coo Ackbars found would be the Euro variant, With the Meccano Ackbar a much more difficult variant to track down.

No Coo figures scar coo & side by side...
Left Euro [smooth scar] & Right Meccano [rough scar]
SAM_ack_4.jpg

Although very different figures in their Coo marking, The No Coo Ackbars look is very similar to each other, which would be somewhat boring if all the Ackbars produced were the same, However, There came the Taiwan Ackbars........

The Taiwan Ackbars may carry near enough the same coo to each other, but there was a much broader colour palette used when decorating these guys! Colour tones can vary dramatically, But I would identify the main 6 tones as Vanilla, Peach, Avocado, Dark Olive, Light Olive & Grey...

Of these, the Grey is probably the hardest to track down, whilst the three most common would be the two olive tones and the Vanilla.

Taiwan Coo figures...
Left to right,
Vanilla, Peach, Avocado, Dark Olive, Light Olive & Grey

SAM_ack_5.JPG

So here are the eight Admiral Ackbar variants we've covered....
Left to right,
Euro [smooth scar], Meccano [rough scar], Taiwan : Vanilla, Peach, Avocado, Dark Olive, Light Olive & Grey

SAM_ack_6.JPG

Discussion welcomed.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Links :

LUKE BESPIN GUIDE | HAN SOLO BESPIN GUIDE | OBI WAN KENOBI GUIDE | DARTH VADER GUIDE |

BOBA FETT GUIDE | DENGAR GUIDE | IG-88 GUIDE | 4-LOM GUIDE | STORMTROOPER GUIDE |

LUKE X-WING GUIDE | IMPERIAL COMMANDER GUIDE | AT-AT COMMANDER GUIDE | AT-AT DRIVER GUIDE |

ADMIRAL ACKBAR GUIDE | NIEN NUNB GUIDE | BIKER SCOUT GUIDE | REBEL COMMANDO GUIDE |

discussion welcomed!

Last edited:
Thanks Neil, stella work as always, the Meccano Akbar is a near impossible to identify from the Euro when not in hand, but your photo of the EMP marks on the top of the head is very informative. Thanks again :)

plantainman

Jedi Master
Tarkin's nosehair said:
Thanks Neil, stella work as always, the Meccano Akbar is a near impossible to identify from the Euro when not in hand, but your photo of the EMP marks on the top of the head is very informative. Thanks again :)

Thank you.

Yes, All the Meccano Ackbars I have had through my hands have had that kind of mark on the top of the head; Where it appears there are less stress marks, So possibly something of note. Of course, when you have them both in hand, its very easy to see which is which by comparing the erased Coos. I find the description the Coos is often more informative than the photo's.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Oh my days, I only thought that there were two tunic colours, that grey and dark olive though are particularly new to me... time to go hunting... again!

plantainman

Jedi Master
SAVORY100 said:
Oh my days, I only thought that there were two tunic colours, that grey and dark olive though are particularly new to me... time to go hunting... again!

Sorry Steve, I'm forever opening a can of worms with this thread lol

"Just when I thought I was out, They pull me back in" :lol:

plantainman

Jedi Master
hellhippie said:
amazing update and info as usual Neil, your the man . the variant world thanks you

Thanks Bill. Appreciate the nod.
I wish I had more time to photograph and document the others I have to share. A quarter of the way through the year and only 2 figures added to the thread. I'll endeavour to get a couple more done before the end of May!

Vive variants!

plantainman

Jedi Master
Rebel Soldier Variants

• We'll be looking at the Poch, PBP & Meccano figures and their Kenner cousins of the same Coo family

Coo guide...
Top row Left to right, Fam 1 MIHK, Fam 3 HK, Fam 2 HK
Bottom row Left to right, Fam 1 Poch, Fam 3 PBP, Fam 2 Meccano

RSV1.jpg

Left to right, Fam 1 MIHK Kenner & Fam 1 MIHK Poch
Notice :
• Whiter trousers and neck tie on Poch figure (Creamier on Kenner)
• Thinner black bar at bottom of chest emblem on Poch
RSV2.jpg

Left to right, Fam 1 MIHK Poch, PBP Pale face, PBP Cream face & PBP Pink face
All four spanish produced. The dark brown rebel soldier (DBRS) can come in two tones, A muddy brown as can be seen on the pale face figure, and a richer red-brown which can be seen on both the creamy and pink face figures.
RSV3.JPG

Left to right, PBP Pale face, PBP Cream face, PBP Pink face & Fam 3 HK (Kenner)
The three DBRS are alongside their parent figure, The Family 3 HK Kenner. The mould is the same, But the appearance is very different, which makes the DBRS such a great variant!
RSV4.JPG

Clockwise from top,
Fam 3 HK (Kenner), PBP Pale face, PBP Pink face & PBP Cream face

RSV5.JPG

So here are the eight rebel soldier figures we have highlighted....
Left to right,
Fam 1 MIHK Kenner, Fam 1 MIHK Poch, PBP Pale face, PBP Cream face, PBP Pink face, Fam 3 HK, Fam 2 HK, Meccano No Coo

RSV6.JPG

Peace

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links :

discussion welcomed!

Last edited:

plantainman

Jedi Master
Tarkin's nosehair said:
Great info as always. thank you. :)

SAVORY100 said:
Great update Neil, a figure very close to me heart :D

hellhippie said:
awesome as always , one of my favorite figures and well explained :D

Thanks fellas.

Yeah Rebel soldier is such a great sculpt, and so many Coo's to collect also. Difficult to narrow it down to just 8 variants for this thread, because the China and blank raised bar figures are quirky too! There's also a few different minor paint app variants on the Poch figures also, But this info can be found elsewhere on the net.

Going to photograph one of my favourite figures next, It's an all No Coo collection of eight figures............

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Awesome info. I've been searching for some detailed variant info to identify my hammerheads and this is the best Coo guide I've come across by far. Helped me determine my euro variant and the right pbp blaster to place with him. :D

plantainman

Jedi Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
Awesome info. I've been searching for some detailed variant info to identify my hammerheads and this is the best Coo guide I've come across by far. Helped me determine my euro variant and the right pbp blaster to place with him. :D

Really glad to hear you have been assisted in some way. That's what this info is here for.
Note to self : Must document some more of my figures soon :idea:
The pbp hammerheads have a lighter blue imperial blaster with the bar underneath the clip.
Peace

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom