Help / Advice needed from the pros!

jt1969

Padawan
Hey guys new to the forum and this is my first post :)

Im 49 years old and have always been a Star Wars fan, I remember watching and new hope AKA " STAR WARS" on the silver screen back in 1977 with my parents!

As a kid I had most all of the vintage figures! My childhood was great!

My Dad passed away a few years ago and just a few months ago my Mom passed also :-( Little did I know good ole mom kept some of my original figures!!!"

Got a Blue Snaggle and I cant believe is but I have my original Vader, and Boba!!!! I have always been a Empire fan!!!

Anyways long story short Im getting a small lump of money and now that I have some of my original figures ive got the figure "BUG" again :)

I want to pass something on to my grandson and Im thinking of having my original Vader and Boba re carded. Yes I know they will not be worth much but my question is, Im in the market to buy something old and collectible for my grandson to have when I pass....

Ive put allot of thought into it and it come down to three final items however of course I cant buy all three....

What would you guys pick?

1. Carded ESB Vader with "revenge of the jedi sticker and free figure mail in on back"

2. Carded Boba Fett

3. Loose early bird Luke DT saber.

Just would like opinions here, being im totally NEW to the collection part but im not new to Star Wars or these figures.

Thanks in advance!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Welcome to the forum. Sorry about your recent losses, but good to hear about your collection turning up.

I would personally not recommend buying anything for that specific reason. Firstly your grandson might not even like Star Wars in 20+ years time, and secondly there is no guarantee it will rise in value as an investment. I'm sure he would prefer you just put the money in an account for him to enjoy as he pleases later. Collecting should be about what you want, as much as I'd love my kids to be in to Star Wars as much as I am, I think it's important not to ram it down their throat and let them enjoy their own childhood.

jt1969

Padawan
edd_jedi said:
Welcome to the forum. Sorry about your recent losses, but good to hear about your collection turning up.

I would personally not recommend buying anything for that specific reason. Firstly your grandson might not even like Star Wars in 20+ years time, and secondly there is no guarantee it will rise in value as an investment. I'm sure he would prefer you just put the money in an account for him to enjoy as he pleases later. Collecting should be about what you want, as much as I'd love my kids to be in to Star Wars as much as I am, I think it's important not to ram it down their throat and let them enjoy their own childhood.

Very true thank you!

As a collector what one of the three you you guys get?

Im thinking Vader or Boba.

yoda

Sith Lord
If it's for your grandson as Ed said he might not even like Star Wars or have any attachments to the figures. Its really from our own memories why we collect these figures. Another option for you is to watch which toys he is attached to and gets enjoyment from. You could buy them boxed and store them away. It's just another idea and I am sure he would love them every bit as much.
But if it's the Star Wars route your taking. You could buy Vader and Boba since you owed them both that way you can't go wrong!

jt1969

Padawan
Hes 3 now and is very much into Star Wars but I totally understand where you guys are coming from..... he might hate Star Wars when he gets older of course!!!

Ill be buying something in the future for sure, just not sure what one yet :)

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Vader and Fett is a good call.

If you are passing something on for you grandson, it needs to be about you as much as the figure, simply because your grandson will have a SW piece as you were a SWFan, but think about it in terms of your fav figure, as your grandson will have a "memory" of his grandad linked to SW rather than just a vintage SW piece.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Good advice from everyone. It's a different way of thinking but I'm guessing he'd have years of fun with some loose figures and vehicles than he ever would from a carded figure and let's be honest, you can still buy him a carded figure or DT figure in the next 20 years or so when he's got much more of an appreciation of what the deal really is. Yes, it might cost a few quid more but giving a 3 year old a toy he can't play with is defeating the point isn't it?

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
yoda said:
Another option for you is to watch which toys he is attached to and gets enjoyment from. You could buy them boxed and store them away.
Firstly, sorry for your loss.
Great idea form Yoda, this will bring back memories of growing for your son.
And if stored correctly may even be worth a bit.
They may spark his imagination and start him on a path of collecting what he remembered, as very generation has different toy lines in their childhood.
Whatever you choose to do, I hope that he and you enjoy your choices.

laurencedyer

Jedi Knight
As mentioned before, their will be other toys that become collectibles as there is now such as Transformers, He Man and of coarse our beloved Star Wars.
Now what those toy lines will be is any ones guess, I've always believed that something like Toy Story, Harry Potter or Power Rangers may be the next ones as they appealed to the masses as Star Wars did and influenced the lives of so many of our generations children. I suppose it will be another 10 years or so before they come to the age of nostalgia and we see what those items are and start kicking ourselves for giving them away as our parents do now lol.
It may be worth buying a duplicate of toys he buys now and hoarding them away for future investment, although that is a gamble but maybe not such a costly one.

In terms of answering your question from the reasons you have stated I would choose a carded Boba from your choice. The other two items are a little specific being a certain type of carded Vader and a DT Luke. In the future If collecting Vintage Star Wars always stays strong with a following and therefore a value there will always be collectors chasing a carded figure run and therefore will need to acquire this figure for that run.
As Edd replied initially, their is no guarantee that Star wars items will rise in the future therefore if you are pursuing this route The Boba will be a safer and more logical strategy and less of a gamble investment wise if they do see a drop in collecting.

jt1969

Padawan
Great advice from all thanks! Ive always been and always will be a Vader fan, my daughter shows my grandson a Vader toy and he says " gandpas toy" hahahaha

Like I said I do have my original vader that I got back in 1977, he has his original cape but sadly he saber is gone :-( I did pick up a nice repro saber.

I guess I could always buy a original saber and have he re carded.....

I never thought I would be back into these figures again :) brings back great childhood memories!

Anyways Thanks for the advice guys! Who knows I may end up buying a Vader, Boba and DT Luke!!! hahahaha

Oh no....... I think I have the bug again!!!!! Hahahahah

jared007

Padawan
jt1969 said:
Anyways Thanks for the advice guys! Who knows I may end up buying a Vader, Boba and DT Luke!!! hahahaha

Don't laugh, that is what eventually happens to all of us here ;) And welcome!

For what it's worth, I'd go the DT Luke. There are so many carded Vader variations available, and they ebb/fade with popularity from time to time, but a DT Luke figure has always been iconic as something collectible and a genuine *next level* rarity.

For many of us, we never even saw one growing up so to own one is a nice thing to do for yourself as a collector now. And in my opinion, this piece has a much better chance at A) surviving down the road and hence holding value (MOCs have every chance to get damaged somehow) B) It's always likely to be popular (DT lukes are always *flavour of the month*).

Cheers, Jared.

jt1969

Padawan
Thanks Jared!
Ya this is true, I dont recall having a DT Luke Ben or Vader....

Also I agree the chance of a MOC getting damaged over a loose figure. And of course its Luke Skywalker!

I think when you say the words "Star Wars" The first things that come to most peoples minds is Luke or Vader :)

Ok now I might be asking a crazy thing here but what would the chances be to find a DT Vader?

Also what makes the figures genuine DT? Is it just the saber??? I know for 100% fact the 1977 Vader i have on my self right now is NOT and DT. Only because its was my personal toy and the saber is now gone :-( I also do not recall having a DT. The cape is 100% real.

In other words what is the diff between my Vader and a true DT Vader?

Sorry for the Noob questions..... gutta learn somewhere :)

stu70

Padawan
jt1969 said:
Ok now I might be asking a crazy thing here but what would the chances be to find a DT Vader?

DT Darth Vader, one just sold in auction, MOC $64,900

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/217448/STAR-WARS-DARTH-VADER-12-BACK-A-AFA-70-EX-DOUBLE-TELESCOPING

jt1969

Padawan
I just choked on my drink!!!! Ummmmm ok never mind hahahaha Backto the carded Vader, Boba and DT Lukes...... hahaha

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
Firstly, sorry to hear of your loss.

I agree with edd's post.

Personally, I wouldn't get into Star Wars as a means of profit or investment.
Not even as a hand-me-down.
If your grandson isn't sentimental, a card d figure might be just a bit of card and plastic, which it is, but not to a collector.

You do, however, have a reasonably sought after blue Snaggletooth. Whilst not being rare, it is one of the pricier loose figures. I'd keep that safe to one side.

It strikes me, like a lot on here including myself, that when we stumble across our childhood figures it does touch us with an immense feeling of nostalgia.
When I pulled my Falcon and Jabba the Hutt from the loft a lot of memories came back when I got them at Christmas.

Anyway, I would say go with one of the carded figures that you mentioned.
I've only got a handful of carded figures but they're great to have and hold.

jared007

Padawan
jt1969 said:
Ok now I might be asking a crazy thing here but what would the chances be to find a DT Vader? Also what makes the figures genuine DT? Is it just the saber??? I

DT Vaders are very hard to come by (same as a DT Ben) - a loose one will be circa US$10K (I know of a graded AFA90 one that sold for US$20K a couple of years ago). They sometimes do come up in mixed lots on eBay as people clear out their attic. Collectors have eagle eyes - it will be confusing why a bunch of beater figures go for so much until you look for the hidden gem in there.

And it's just that tiny bit of plastic for the DT saber that makes all the difference. The figure itself was later released with the single telescoping weapon, so it's all about the DT weapon here. Most people will never see one in the flesh, let alone own one ;)

Cheers, Jared.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom