SWTOTW, Week 12, 2018, Part 2/2 8D8

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Here are my loose pair, one of each thigh circle / no circle variant:

8D8 - 01.jpg
In case anyone is unfamiliar with the variant (there may be a couple of you out there somewhere!), the arrows should clue you in! :)

8D8 - 02.jpg

They look great, cool variants. There is so many variants for 8D8, thanks for the pictures 8)

Oracle

Padawan
Here are my childhood 8D8s, not my favourite figure but I somehow ended up with two.
One has circles both legs and one without a circle left leg only; that non-circle leg tends to bend inwards.
Never taken the legs off and not about to try.

I only have the cardback (79back), bubble and inner tray for one, so I guess the other was from a boot sale or a swap.
The bubble is still well attached at the top edge, but like most of my Kenner bubbles it has yellowed a bit.
The inner tray is near mint, slight discolouration but no cracks - it has 018 or it could be 01B embossed in it - no clue why.

Anyone know why the card image and actual figures are mirror images?

Attachments

• 8D8_79.jpg
    8D8_79.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 911

spoons

Grand Master
Oracle said:
Here are my childhood 8D8s, not my favourite figure but I somehow ended up with two.
One has circles both legs and one without a circle left leg only; that non-circle leg tends to bend inwards.

I only have the cardback (79back), bubble and inner tray for one, so I guess the other was from a boot sale or a swap.
The bubble is still well attached at the top edge, but like most of my Kenner bubbles it has yellowed a bit.
The inner tray is near mint, slight discolouration but no cracks - it has 018 or it could be 01B embossed in it - no clue why.

love the photo!

018 will be the part number for the tray.

and never noticed that the figure was flipped. Maybe that was the best photo of 8D8 and they had to flip it to make it work with the card?

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:

8D8 - 01.jpg
In case anyone is unfamiliar with the variant (there may be a couple of you out there somewhere!), the arrows should clue you in! :)

8D8 - 02.jpg

They look great, cool variants. There is so many variants for 8D8, thanks for the pictures 8)
Thanks. Just out of interest, what other 8D8 variants are there other than these two? I'd be very interested to learn about any others which are new to me :)

Oracle

Padawan
Apart from combinations of circle/no circle, is it possible some were shipped with legs on backwards? Any known moc like that?

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
Thanks. Just out of interest, what other 8D8 variants are there other than these two? I'd be very interested to learn about any others which are new to me :)

As far as I am aware there are just the 4 main variants, as 8D8 only came with a No Coo. Circle on both, no circles, circle on left hip, circle on right hip. Of course there is a Lili Ledy version with hard torso and that may come with the same amount of additional variants?

http://www.highasakoit.co.uk/starwars/8d8.php

Regarding MOCs Joe has / had a focus which can be seen here if you have the photobucket fix

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5538

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
TheJabbaWookie said:
Snaketibe said:

As far as I am aware there are just the 4 main variants, as 8D8 only came with a No Coo. Circle on both, no circles, circle on left hip, circle on right hip. Of course there is a Lili Ledy version with hard torso and that may come with the same amount of additional variants?

Regarding MOCs Joe has / had a focus which can be seen here if you have the photobucket fix

Thank you. I am interested in collecting visually different variants, so it's nice to know I seem to have 8D8 covered! The two variants with one hip having a circle and the other not, I am allowing myself to skip. Since 8D8's legs can be removed they are effectively interchangeable, and therefore I could never be sure if the legs on a figure with mismatched legs were original to that figure's torso. I'm not about to open a carded one, so I'll be happy with the 2 figures I have :)

Also, that's a great focus from Joe!

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Oracle said:

Some nice childhood 8D8 and also a great cardback with bubble from your childhood. Cool that you still have this items from you childhood 8)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:

8D8 - 01.jpg

8D8 - 02.jpg

Well if you will go down the dark way, then there is some different no coo for 8D8 and then there is the more easy one the Lili Ledy 8D8 :wink:
You can also find 8D8 with circle on both legs and only on one leg between all the different no coo. Lili Ledy was also made with circles and no circles :wink:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
TheJabbaWookie said:
Snaketibe said:

Thank you. I am interested in collecting visually different variants, so it's nice to know I seem to have 8D8 covered! The two variants with one hip having a circle and the other not, I am allowing myself to skip. Since 8D8's legs can be removed they are effectively interchangeable, and therefore I could never be sure if the legs on a figure with mismatched legs were original to that figure's torso. I'm not about to open a carded one, so I'll be happy with the 2 figures I have :)

You do not need to open a moc to see if the circles are on both legs or only on one leg :wink:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:
TheJabbaWookie said:

You do not need to open a moc to see if the circles are on both legs or only on one leg :wink:
That's precisely my point. If I want a loose 8D8 that has one circle hip and one no circle hip, then the only way to be sure that your figure has all its original parts would be to take one off a card yourself... but obviously I won't do that. If you haven't taken the figure off the card yourself, because the legs can be removed and replaced very easily, you cannot know if your 8D8 figure has all the parts it originally came with.

Jedijut

Padawan
Picked up a lot of catalogs and card backs. Didn't pick it up when I bought the lot but the 8D8 had been sold at a department store that my grandmother worked at around the time.
John Martin's had a few Department stores around the Adelaide (South Australia) area and are famous for starting the Christmas pageant - kind of a big deal if your a kid at Christmas time in Adelaide. Unfortunately the stores were sold off but the memories still remain.
The 8D8 card has the John Martin's price sticker and the collecting wishes of a child around the Jedi era. Poor tacker couldn't find a original Luke!!

Attachments

• 1F2D4FC0-54ED-4E8A-A68F-792D93ECF6C7.jpeg
    1F2D4FC0-54ED-4E8A-A68F-792D93ECF6C7.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 1,030
  • 618393BB-5358-4E72-9C1D-54244CA5D563.jpeg
    618393BB-5358-4E72-9C1D-54244CA5D563.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 1,033
  • A450A55A-5C6B-4909-887D-DBE348FF0041.jpeg
    A450A55A-5C6B-4909-887D-DBE348FF0041.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,032
  • 1C7F64A8-D7F8-4532-8478-0BB13027C0D4.jpeg
    1C7F64A8-D7F8-4532-8478-0BB13027C0D4.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 1,034

tigerham

Sith Lord
Some great items and makes for an interesting read. I never really paid too much attention to the 8D8 before but it's actually quite a cool figure. Thanks for sharing all. :)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:

That's precisely my point. If I want a loose 8D8 that has one circle hip and one no circle hip, then the only way to be sure that your figure has all its original parts would be to take one off a card yourself... but obviously I won't do that. If you haven't taken the figure off the card yourself, because the legs can be removed and replaced very easily, you cannot know if your 8D8 figure has all the parts it originally came with.

That is correct you can't be 100% sure. But when you can find them on moc with a circle on only one leg then I see no problem in believe that the loose you get was sold like that in the 80s. I have found many of them in childhood lots and I don't think all the ones in childhood lots have changed legs on them with other kids 8d8 figures :wink:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Jedijut said:
Picked up a lot of catalogs and card backs. Didn't pick it up when I bought the lot but the 8D8 had been sold at a department store that my grandmother worked at around the time.
John Martin's had a few Department stores around the Adelaide (South Australia) area and are famous for starting the Christmas pageant - kind of a big deal if your a kid at Christmas time in Adelaide. Unfortunately the stores were sold off but the memories still remain.
The 8D8 card has the John Martin's price sticker and the collecting wishes of a child around the Jedi era. Poor tacker couldn't find a original Luke!!

Thanks for sharing the pictures and the great story 8)

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:

That is correct you can't be 100% sure. But when you can find them on moc with a circle on only one leg then I see no problem in believe that the loose you get was sold like that in the 80s. I have found many of them in childhood lots and I don't think all the ones in childhood lots have changed legs on them with other kids 8d8 figures :wink:
I completely agree with you and perhaps I could have been clearer in my reasoning for not wanting the other two variants. I am quite certain that some 8D8 figures definitely will have come with mixed legs. My original point was simply that because they could be swapped over, I personally am not worried about not owning all four leg combinations. I could simply buy another pair of 8D8 figures (one with circles and one without) and swap one of the legs over to make the other two variants, but that's taking variant collecting too far even for me! If the difference in the legs was more obvious, like it is with the tan and grey limbed Klaatus for example, then I might care more. However, since the difference in the 8D8 figures' legs is barely noticeable when viewing the figures from the front anyway, and since those legs can also be changed at will, I am happy to stick with my two 8D8 variants and not add the other two mixed legs versions. Plus, it takes up less shelf space ;-)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:

I completely agree with you. And I am quite certain that some 8D8 figures definitely will have come with mixed legs. My original point was simply that because they could be swapped over, I personally am not worried about not owning all four leg combinations. I could simply buy another pair of 8D8 figures (one with circles and one without) and swap one of the legs over to make the other two variants, but that's taking variant collecting too far even for me! If the difference in the legs was more obvious, like it is with the tan and grey limbed Klaatus for example, then I might care more. However, since the difference in the 8D8 figures' legs is barely noticeable when viewing the figures from the front anyway, and since those legs can also be changed at will, I am happy to stick with my two 8D8 variants and not add the other two mixed legs versions. Plus, it takes up less shelf space ;-)

I agree with you, maybe it is more easy for me because I have found all mine in lots, the only 8D8 I have that is not from a lot is my lili ledy and I have the same problem with space :lol: but I can't stop collecting them :lol: So will you go for the lili ledy ? :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom