Modern MOC 'investing'

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
spoons said:
Sounds like you got a good price for them Russ :shock:

Good call on the McQuarrie figs guys, would go for a set of those too

And Mini, think I'd be happy with the standard 100 or so POTF figs. Even Sansweet has stopped collecting everything. Crazy amount of stuff out there

Didn't do to bad ta Spoons :D I did have quite a few ships that got snapped up as well as lots of figures. I prefer vintage :lol:

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
I came out of modern collecting massively up due to selling a POFT2 Luke dagobah SS/LT for £180 after it had cost me £1. #winning.

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Dannywhiteley said:
I came out of modern collecting massively up due to selling a POFT2 Luke dagobah SS/LT for £180 after it had cost me £1. #winning.

Very nice :D

Russ

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
It was purchased in error I believe by some one who was thinking it was the dagobah Luke that was rare when it was actually the original like with SS/LT.

The only modern I have left is the original nine on trilogo cards and a mail away Han stormtrooper and Ben ghost. Along with a 1995 header it makes a nice display that I really love due to the nostalgia of buying them bitd. Anything after 1995/96 wasn't for me however.

wrighty

Sith Lord
I probably have about 50-80 modern POTF2 MOCs. I will probably give them to my son when he is older especially as bribes!! :lol:

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
I bought some episode one figs when the film came out just for the thrill of buying figures again. I got sick of them and gave them to the charity shop a few years later. I've since bought some Force Awakens figures which I estimate will be going down the charity shop around 2021. Nothing beats vintage, nothing modern even comes close.

roundster

Jedi Master
Supporter
I've got a massive box of POTF 2 in the loft that I picked up for about a quid each or less in many cases, can bring myself to sell them!

Still have a real soft spots for the POTF 2 variants like the THX cards, late issue US red cards and others

Recently got a THX lando for £6 to complete my run, a SOTE retooled darth on a Green card and a collection 1 SOTE Leia Boushh

Not sure why, but brought back so good collecting memories, thats what its all about really :)

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I used to (actively) collect modern for a few years but never really saw it as an investment. Got some of it in shops and some on eBay. I bought them cos I liked them but then realised I can't collect everything and preferred to concentrate on Vintage. Don't have space to display it either, got several plastic boxes full of it. Have lots of Episode 1 and Saga 2006 and a smaller amount of POTF2 and 30th Anniversary and a few other odd figures I like. I knew when I bought them they'd never be worth more than I paid. I'd like a modern display one day with a few select figures from different lines but I'll prob get rid of a lot of it.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Loved POTF2. Had loads and collected up to POTJ. Had some Ep1, but the sheer volume of figs being produced started to wear a bit thin, so gave up and sold up most of it. Sold most of my remaining stuff and gave the rest to my boys over the last few years.

I've got a handful of red Tri logos left and want to complete that run now. It was quite a special time in 1995, being able to buy SW figures again in regular shops, after what had seemed like an eternity. They hold quite a lot of nostalgia for me. Yes, some of the sculpts are awful, but for me, they have a real charm.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Cazza said:
I've got a handful of red Tri logos left and want to complete that run now. It was quite a special time in 1995, being able to buy SW figures again in regular shops, after what had seemed like an eternity. They hold quite a lot of nostalgia for me. Yes, some of the sculpts are awful, but for me, they have a real charm.
Exactly what I trying to say, doesn't matter how bad the sculots were, these were the first star wars toys that I bought from a shop!

r5-d4cus

Padawan
I used my student loan and new found eBay site about twenty years ago to buy the full ep1 figure set for £250. I had a vague knowledge of vintage as I bought 100 loose figs for about 100 quid at the same time.

I put together close to a full episode 1 collection which stayed in my loft until a couple of years ago. I sold the lot in two batches and got my money back minus 20 years inflation haha.

I think when I got the figs my justification was that they would grow in value but I quickly realised this wasnt going to be the case. I kept collecting the ep1 run just because I had a bunch and wanted the full set.

Ironically around the time I was looking at moc r5 figs (my fave sw fig) for 30-50 quid and thought it was just too expensive. I've never been too savvy with investing...

spoons

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Spoons said:
Snaketibe said:
As for putting together a full carded run, I hope you literally mean just the POTF2 figure line rather than the entire modern line :-D. The former is quite achievable, but the latter would be a truly enormous undertaking due to the sheer number of figures released!

Ha ha - definitely the former, with maybe the Shadows of the Empire figures too
Yes, I always liked the Shadows line, and also the 9 Expanded Universe figures. For some reason I've always had a soft spot for those (but not so much the later EU efforts). They're a neat subset and the packaging is great too, both carded and opened as the cards fold out into displays, as you probably already know! :)

SOTE 01.jpg
EU 01.jpg

they look great Jeremy, I've not seen the EU ones before I thought you were referring to McQuarrie. I'll definitely look out for some of those.

subzero

Sith Lord
A bit surprising for me to see so many people liking / collecting POTF2, I really wasn't expecting that. :lol:

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I love the POTF2 to EP1 range.

The prices have risen slightly in the last 10 years, as in they have gone from 'Cant give them away' to £5-£10.

I much prefer these to Droids or Ewoks or a vintage figure which is £100s extra because it has slightly duller paint application in its groin. :lol:

The 1990's was an amazing time to be Star Wars fan. The excitement os the New Testament arriving at the end of the decade. New never seen before figures of Slave Leia, Tarkin, Sandtrooper, Han Stormtrooper, Ishi Tibb, 12 inch Tauntaun....

It great that you can pick this up for cheap as well. I don't see anything exciting in watching collectors spending £1000s on figures that a few years ago a couple of quid. :?

When I first came on SWFUK all ROTJ figures were around £30-£40. Leia Organa and Luke Jedi were more as well as a few others and the condition was amazing. The sales I see to day are for beater MOCs for 4 times the price. Its a shame. :(

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I am happy to buy all your POTF2 and EP1........so there is a little investment (with risk of no to low returns)

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Another quick thought though- I have POTF2 Freeze Frame figures with £25 and £30 stickers. If you look at Model Mart, there are figure listings where POTF2 was going for more than ROTJ and Trilogo.

There was such an appitite for new figures as well as flipping. Its hard for collectors who weren't engaged to believe just how crazy things went for 0.001 Tarkin, Green Tint C-3PO, Darth Maul on Midnight Madness 1....... :lol: Great times

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Grant_C said:
There was such an appitite for new figures as well as flipping. Its hard for collectors who weren't engaged to believe just how crazy things went for 0.001 Tarkin, Green Tint C-3PO, Darth Maul on Midnight Madness 1....... :lol: Great times
Great times, as you say, I think that you had to be there to appreciate it!
I'd totally forgot "green tint" C3PO!

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Just remembered... what about the "delux" figures that you could find with a green front and red back card!
I had the Probot on one of those, wish I still had it!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
The funny thing is I was there during the POTF2 era, but it still didn't appeal to me. I had a friend who collected them all, and it made no sense to me that he was collecting those over vintage. At the time (mid 90s) you could still buy the majority of MOCs for £15-30, I certainly paid no more than that for my Luke Farmboy, Vader, trilogo TIE Pilot etc. So why spend £5+ on a figure who looks like he-man. Also there was no hunt, he just went to TRU and bought them. That didn't appeal to me, I loved the thrill of going to my local vintage store having no idea what would be in stock that week. Good times.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom