Modern MOC 'investing'

lejackal

Grand Master
I've been doing my bit to help modern R1 MOC collectors items appreciate in value by ripping all mine open - someone has to :lol:

subzero

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
Also there was no hunt, he just went to TRU and bought them. That didn't appeal to me, I loved the thrill of going to my local vintage store having no idea what would be in stock that week. Good times.

I actually really miss those days, back in mid 2002 when I first got into collecting vintage I used to finish work on a Saturday at noon and would get on the bus to go on a bit of a mission to a market, where I used to go buying/trading Dreamcast games then one day stumbled on a stall that sold vintage figures which was the only place I knew of then. I used to be well excited sitting on the bus on the way there wondering what they're gonna have that week, until several months later when I bought a toy collectors magazine and spotted an advert for ebay which stated "find vintage Star Wars figures on ebay.co.uk", and I was like what the hell is ebay :lol: and then it all changed. All I had to do was go to a post office and buy postal orders, fill them out, post em off to the sellers and buy whatever figures I wanted, now it's 10 times easier than that lol.

subzero

Sith Lord
Grant_C said:
Another quick thought though- I have POTF2 Freeze Frame figures with £25 and £30 stickers. If you look at Model Mart, there are figure listings where POTF2 was going for more than ROTJ and Trilogo.

There was such an appitite for new figures as well as flipping. Its hard for collectors who weren't engaged to believe just how crazy things went for 0.001 Tarkin, Green Tint C-3PO, Darth Maul on Midnight Madness 1....... :lol: Great times

I remember seeing those freeze frame ones in Forbidden Planet, what's just come back to me now is noticing prices on some of them for £20 - £30+ and remember thinking wow why so much, is it a rare import or something. :lol:

Starrider

Youngling
Power of the Force through to just before Episode 1 was a crazy time for collecting. Those figures were hotter than hot and in hindsight many including myself neglected and even traded vintage to get these shiny new figures. Hasbro didnt release all the figures in the UK and the ones they did get were usually delayed, so this created a huge demand for grey market imports usually offered through Model and Collectors Mart. While £10 was an initial ballpark for an import, £15 and £20 soon became common as demand soared and never before offered figures such as Leia in Slave Outfit and Darth Vader with Removable helmet were produced. I have good memories of this time, much of it was based on nostalgia and the fact we had been so long without figures. Sure some of the sculpts were questionable and looked a but naff even at the time but as the range went on it improved a lot. I remember things were at a fever pitch just before Episode 1 and everyone was braced for Star Wars to burst through the stratosphere, then the movie hit, Hasbro got greedy and stuff just sat. For most of the noughties the volume of product and the amount on clearance seemed never ending and destroyed much of the collectability. Also the same figures kept getting redone over and over, so the novelty of stuff like the POTF Rebel Fleet Trooper, Slave Leia etc soon wore off as improved versions were produced.
Ironically a lot of the post Episode 3 stuff is now becoming pretty sought after, search prices for the Ulic Qel Droma and Exar Kun comic pack set for instance, but thats precisely because nearly everyone had given up by this point. I run a comics and collectables store and all my regular customers who religiously bought every figure had thrown in the towel by 2008.
I think all the modern Hasbro stuff still has legs, but demand will depend a lot on what Hasbro does with the brand and how the new movies continue to fare. Nineties toys are also starting to creep up slowly in value, ten years ago you couldnt get anything for stuff like the Kenner Aliens or Batman figures but now these are attracting fairly decent prices. Also most of the hoarders have long since got rid, there was a period when I used to roll my eyes when people came into my shop trying to sell POTF and Ep 1 stuff, but I hardly seen any of it these days and when you do see it the cards are usually wrecked. I would venture to suggest anyone trying to put together a set of POTF on mint cards might not find it as easy as they think. I dont think we'll ever see individual POTF in three figure sums but one day you may just claw back that £25 you spent on monkey faced Leia.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom