Build Your Own R2D2

MarkG

Jedi Master
Geez.. just noticed it's been just under a year since I updated this..

Just passed the half way point now and things are starting to speed up a bit.... getting to the slightly better stuff now.

One leg is now complete... a tad weighty too !! Has motor and sensors built in, so can sense if it gets close to a wall, or the edge of a table.

buildr2-1.jpg

The half scale Luke Jedi Lightsaber.... 95% metal parts with a tiny bit of plastic.. nicely made. This fits in the head and pops up and down.

buildr2-2.jpg

Now that we have passed the half way point, I got a nice big bit... the full metal dome. Gonna be a long build on this as there are only a few blue panels per month coming up (amongst other bits). Also well on the way with the other leg.
The inner frame of the dome is pretty much done, so will house the saber mechanism, and the lights, camera and projector parts. Pretty weighty too.

buildr2-3.jpg

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Just found this thread, please keep posting your progress, really interesting.

subzero

Sith Lord
Parts are looking really nice, that's gonna turn out to be one fine droid, looking forward to seeing it progress. :)

Are you going to paint weather it with an airbrush or anything and add other wear and tear or just leave it looking new?

MarkG

Jedi Master
I will add weathering once it's fully complete... but not sure yet how much to add. I've seen others do it straight from the off.. but want to get mine a bit more uniform.

Up to issue 64 now which nearly completes the dome... also alot of the lights and other features can now be added.

This is currently my favourite.. the pop up saber function.
20180325_174543.jpg

Cardbackkid

Jedi Master
Your r2 is looking great ! I imagine this is quite hard to do with all the fiddly parts and that ? do you think someone who is completey useless at model kits would be able to achieve a full build ?

MarkG

Jedi Master
Cardbackkid said:
Your r2 is looking great ! I imagine this is quite hard to do with all the fiddly parts and that ? do you think someone who is completey useless at model kits would be able to achieve a full build ?

Anyone can build this to be honest. There's approx 15-20mins of assembly each month (4 issues), and each issue has detaied instructions on how each part goes together. Only a screwdriver (supplied), needlenose pliers and a bit of superglue is required.

Only real part that some people where having trouble with, was the dome frame. The parts had to be put into the right place otherwise the screw holes wouldn't line up.

Currently awaiting issues 65-68 to arrive and I'll post up a few more progress pics.

MarkG

Jedi Master
Whoops.. a bit lapse again and now up to issue 72..

Anyways.. here's how it sits so far..

Dome complete... externally that is
20180529_221149.jpg

20180529_221207.jpg

Here's the internal pic... still WIP. A few more screws to hold the panels in place to come, installation of lightsaber tube and a few clips etc.
20180529_221228.jpg

Started on the body panels... part of the rear.
20180529_221240.jpg

Also the internal frame... all metal build
20180529_221245.jpg

subzero

Sith Lord
That's gonna be a great piece of kit, I wasn't expecting there to be so many metal parts, I assumed almost everything would just be plastics, so that's gonna end up being a nice heavy quality piece of kit.

Looking forward to the finished model.

MarkG

Jedi Master
subzero said:
That's gonna be a great piece of kit, I wasn't expecting there to be so many metal parts, I assumed almost everything would just be plastics, so that's gonna end up being a nice heavy quality piece of kit.

Looking forward to the finished model.

Cheers... apparently it's going to be around 10kilos when complete...

MarkG

Jedi Master
Another few months gone... up to 88 now.

Dome is complete.. body panels and main legs are done.

Just got the centre foot to go and all the electronic wizardry to fit in the final issues. Also needs fully bolting/screwing together.

Retraining bolt is a half size replica from eBay.

20180920_183727.jpg

Have another build hopefully being released soon from another franchise…. will have another thread for that...one day.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
MarkG said:
Another few months gone... up to 88 now.

Dome is complete.. body panels and main legs are done.

Just got the centre foot to go and all the electronic wizardry to fit in the final issues. Also needs fully bolting/screwing together.

Retraining bolt is a half size replica from eBay.

20180920_183727.jpg

Have another build hopefully being released soon from another franchise…. will have another thread for that...one day.
Fantastic Mark, love that they have included his gadgets as well.
Good work, please keep posting, looking forward to seeing him complete.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom