So what did you think about Solo: A Star Wars Story ??? SPOILERS

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Just seen it, went IMAX and I think worth the extra cost, the visuals are really great.

The good - the core Han/Chewie/Lando interaction is well done, the score is a proper JW tribute, Glover is really great as Lando, it moves along at a decent pace, Paul Bettany is a credible villain (if a little bit lacking in threat).

The not so good - too messy at the end "oh you double crossed me, oh it's ok because I double crossed you too, oh hey, I got triple crossed after all, oh but that's ok because ...", :D , also Han wanted to be a pilot and then ended up in the opening scenes of Enemy at the Gates? Did we miss something?

The horrible - L3 - do we really need a cranky droid in every film now?, and moreso a female droid with an emancipation agenda? Leave the politics alone please Disney, I came to watch entertainment, stuff like that just invites whingers to take a pop. Also, Han smiles WAY WAY too much! There's one scene with Qu'ira where he's constantly grinning from ear to ear - it just doesn't sit right with a smarmy, arrogant Solo. He never tried to win Leia with a cheesy grin, just played hard to get. I barely remember Ford smiling much at all, other then those knowing "I win" type smiles. It didn't feel right at all - this isn't an"I love you"/"I know" representation of Solo.

I thought AE had the chin scar, I definitely noticed it near the end. He's also been signed up for three films, I assumed these would be other stories like Fett or Kenobi but it's obviously Solo 2 and maybe 3. I was very unsure about the Darth Mail reveal, a new original villain would have been much more intriguing. I was done with him when he went down the shaft in pieces and not everyone watches the cartoons. Just let the dead be dead so non-cartoon watchers actually know what's going on. Will we get some explanation about how he's alive?

BruceW

Padawan
I thought it was really fun. Chewbacca stole the show IMO. It could have been called "Chewbacca: A Star Wars Story" and I would have been fine with it. Alden was really good, very likeable and did a fine job without leaning on a Harrison Ford impersonation. Felt like Glover might have been trying a little too hard to do a Billy Dee impression in spots, but it worked, and he got the charm down. Overall, a really great action movie.

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
Just got back from seeing it and have to say I enjoyed it overall.
Not the unmitigated disaster that was predicted. A good but not great addition to the franchise.
I'd go for a solid 7 out of 10 on first viewing.

Enjoyed the majority of the film, especially the introductions of the major characters and the Conveyex and Kessel Run sequences.
Alden was great and looked the part and even had the chin scar. Creepy how much Donald Glover sounded like BDW.
Loved the Maul cameo (didn't stay for the credits, was that Ray Park or a CGI Maul?).

On the downside, didn't really care for the L3 character and 'droid equal rights' nonsense (you just can't help yourself, can you Kathleen?).
Also, Dryden Voss was of a bit of a bland villian and Enfys Nest turned into a bit of a damp squib.
There were a couple of abrupt scene changes which were a bit jarring (probably the result of all the reshoots etc.).
I felt the running time could have been trimmed slightly as well.

So, not as good as Rogue One, but easily trumps The Force Awakens & The Last Straw.

Regarding the state of the fandom at the moment. Whilst I'm no fan of John Campea, no one deserves that type of abuse and it should be thoroughly condemned. Although, he's not been adverse to deriding the fanbase in the past. A case could be made for "if you can't handle the heat etc......".

Personally, I think Disney/Lucasfilm has only themselves to blame with the situation at the moment.
I firmly believe the vast majority of the criticism from the fandom has been reasonable, with people just expressing concern as to what tone/direction that Disney is taking with our beloved franchise.
These criticisms have been met with derision from the likes of Kennedy, Johnson, Abrams et al.
Perhaps if they'd just acknowledged the criticisms or just kept a dignified silence, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Unfortunately, I think the the damage is already done and the ongoing franchise has been tarnished......which to this life-long fan, is a crying shame.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
I think the fan drama is way, way overdone. It's embarrassing. The whole 'TLJ killed my childhood stuff' makes me feel like a grumpy old man.

If you look at who is making these comments, they aren't from normal human beings, they're mainly from snowflake millennials, most of whose parents hadn't even met when the OT came out. So quite what childhood got ruined I'm not sure.

I like talking about the films afterwards but when you subscribe to Vue or Odeon pages and see 500 comments I just cringe. Yes, the modern films have had issues, most films do, but the criticism is OTT and gives normal SW fans a bad name.

Petition anyone? :lol:

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Twin30mm said:
Personally, I think Disney/Lucasfilm has only themselves to blame with the situation at the moment.
I firmly believe the vast majority of the criticism from the fandom has been reasonable, with people just expressing concern as to what tone/direction that Disney is taking with our beloved franchise.
These criticisms have been met with derision from the likes of Kennedy, Johnson, Abrams et al.
Perhaps if they'd just acknowledged the criticisms or just kept a dignified silence, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Unfortunately, I think the the damage is already done and the ongoing franchise has been tarnished......which to this life-long fan, is a crying shame.

Sorry Martin, couldn't disagree more. :p

Let me give a reason. This is not directed, but an overall impression.

Lucasfilm have gone out of their way to deliver fanboy fantasies.

These posts about race/sex/gender will look dark ages in a few years, the same way The Black and White Minstrel Shows look to us now. No matter what they do, some people will protest no matter what. They use to hate ROTJ, then the prequels came so they hated those, now these films.

I would say that probably 50% of the fanbase hated TLJ, but it appears the usual cinema goer liked it judging by box office. My God, I bet The Phantom Menace is happy :lol:

The Force Awakens is to much like the originals and didn't take enough risks so I hate it.

The Last Jedi is nothing like the originals and took to many risks so I hate it.

Why did they make this character film when I want this one.

It seems to be that no one hates Star Wars more than a Star Wars 'fan'.

I feel that this is a fantastic representation of a black or white, self righteous polarised society we have become. Just listen to any YouTube video review of any film. They all start off with what they disliked. Completely negative. I get the impression that unless its a flawless masterpiece...."its ****".

But if we take the same critics and apply to the original trilogy then the holy trinity is also full of flaws. Are we becoming grumpy old curmudgeons? Is that the reason dad and granddad didn't agree that A New Hope was the greatest masterpiece ever made?

It's important for Star Wars to be a contemporary myth at its foundation and reflecting modern day society. That's were its success endures while other films fade away. I think if the viewer sees gender over a character, then its the viewer that's the problem, not Lucasfilm.

There will be some great ones and some no so great, but essentially, it should at least be fun. I wish people were so passionate about writing messages to their political representatives about social justice, pollution, social mobility, climate change etc. :shock:

I'm over the moon with Lucasfilm, why wouldn't you be? Just seen Corellia and Mimban. I cant believe it!

I just think if the Original Trilogy was released today, I would be reading reviews saying- "that blue elephant keyboard player in Jabbas palace ruined the film for me, childhood ruined". :?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I'm become convinced that a lot of this is from Russian bots, trekkies and harry potter fans :lol:

There is promise of a ton of fanboy fantasy star wars in the pipeline. I ****ing cant wait. :D

Spookedhippie

Sith Lord
The fertility idol is in Paul Bettanys audience room and Lando mentions when he was on Sharu...one of the 80s books is called the mind sharp of sharu!

MarkG

Jedi Master
Twin30mm said:
Loved the Maul cameo (didn't stay for the credits, was that Ray Park or a CGI Maul?).

Ray Park did indeed don the horns once again... although the voice was the guy that did the Rebels cartoons and not Peter whatshisname from Episode 1.

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
MarkG said:
Ray Park did indeed don the horns once again... although the voice was the guy that did the Rebels cartoons and not Peter whatshisname from Episode 1.

Great, thank you :D .
If its the guy from Rebels, that'll be Sam Witwer.

Loved how they left that scene. Is Qi'ra a Sith?
Didn't she say to Han that she'd "done things" to survive.........hopefully we'll find out in a sequel.

Jon

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Need to see it again, but im not sure it was as good as R1 but it was much better than TFA and TLJ. Seeing Maul back was horseshit and I think that was very strange. That in itself leaves a lot to ask of the PT.

It was a good film :)

yoda

Sith Lord
Was it definitely Darth Maul? I thought the horns looked a bit different but I could be wrong. Could it have been another of his kind?

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Seeing Maul back was absolutely awesome if you've watched The Clone Wars and Rebels! He has big story arcs in both ;) Definitely Maul- played by Ray Park, voiced by the same guy from the cartoons and he was complete with his metal legs ;)

_Lee_

Sith Lord
yoda said:
Was it definitely Darth Maul? I thought the horns looked a bit different but I could be wrong. Could it have been another of his kind?

Id assume that was age taking its toll. Poor bloke was cut in half, then he started to age.

Poor little fella. :D

indianawars

Sith Lord
_Lee_ said:
yoda said:

Id assume that was age taking its toll. Poor bloke was cut in half, then he started to age.

100% Maul - credited as Maul in the credits.

yoda

Sith Lord
indianawars said:
_Lee_ said:
yoda said:

OK that's sorted :D

indianawars

Sith Lord
yoda said:
indianawars said:
_Lee_ said:

OK that's sorted :D

Only because I'm sad enough to sit there and watch the end credits :lol: :lol: On a side note, it was someone else who voiced Maul, not Ray Park who played Maul. I can't remember the name?

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
I just got back and did enjoy it I don't have time to write a full review but I have skimmed through the reviews here and I'm surprised more people are not questioning the maul appearance. Surely if he was cut in half in the phantom menace and leia was not born untill around 20 years later this would have made Han 40-45 in a new hope. I didn't watch clones so don't know what part he played in that but I can't see how the timelines work.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Stubbs said:
leia was not born untill around 20 years later this would have made Han 40-45 in ANH

Han Solo - The Jimmy Saville of Star Wars. i always wondered why he cut the Tauntauns belly the way he did. He also nearly fell into a huge fanny in the desert and went blind :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom