What do you do when collecting gets boring?

poncho

Grand Master
ive been dabbling in customs of late. take a knackered beater and make something different. ive made some ralph mcquarrie inspired customs this year :)

Fishtalk

Jedi Knight
Unless you really need the money, don't sell up. Over the last 20 years I've lost the collecting bug several times, each time I've sold up, feeling it was the right thing to do. Fast forward a year and the bug is back, only now I have to start from scratch - and as we all know prices rise at an astronomical rate. I'm in the middle of a slump right now, a long illness has kept me off work and I lost interest in all things Star Wars, I sold 90% of my collection to make ends meet. Once I'm back on my feet I've no doubt I'll want to start collecting again, but with todays prices (I collected Palitoy) I'm screwed.
So, my advice is store your collection somewhere out of sight and move on. If, after a year you still have no interest in Star Wars, then by all means sell up.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Fishtalk said:
Unless you really need the money, don't sell up. Over the last 20 years I've lost the collecting bug several times, each time I've sold up, feeling it was the right thing to do. Fast forward a year and the bug is back, only now I have to start from scratch - and as we all know prices rise at an astronomical rate. I'm in the middle of a slump right now, a long illness has kept me off work and I lost interest in all things Star Wars, I sold 90% of my collection to make ends meet. Once I'm back on my feet I've no doubt I'll want to start collecting again, but with todays prices (I collected Palitoy) I'm screwed.
So, my advice is store your collection somewhere out of sight and move on. If, after a year you still have no interest in Star Wars, then by all means sell up.

Great advice. Wish I had followed this the last two times I sold up. Particularly last time. Sorry to hear about your health problems and I hope you fully recover. Price rises aren't just restricted to Palitoys, but if you do start with them again you'll be delighted to know that some 30 backs are now a bargain buy :D

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
ScruffyLookingNH said:
Fishtalk said:

Great advice. Wish I had followed this the last two times I sold up. Particularly last time. Sorry to hear about your health problems and I hope you fully recover. Price rises aren't just restricted to Palitoys, but if you do start with them again you'll be delighted to know that some 30 backs are now a bargain buy :D
I assume the words "bargain buy" are relative!
But yes, great advice, I'm another that regrets selling up.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Mini99 said:
ScruffyLookingNH said:
Fishtalk said:

I assume the words "bargain buy" are relative!
But yes, great advice, I'm another that regrets selling up.

Relative to the same item 4 years ago (and how MOCs have come down in price in that time?!) and relative to some recent meteoric risers such a Trilogo TFP and Greedo hybrid!

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
If your really bored of collecting try taking loads of naked photos of yourself with your collection and post them on Facebook.

subzero

Sith Lord
theforceuk said:
If your really bored of collecting try taking loads of naked photos of yourself with your collection and post them on Facebook.

And just make sure to cover your junk with a nice MOC. :lol:

sparkysx

Sith Lord
I only need a yak and pop up r2 to complete, but not that bothered atm. I bought a sealing machine and plastic sealed all my figs up, they are in a box in the loft.

One things for sure, I don't think you would regret not selling them, can't see them dropping in value.

poncho

Grand Master
sparkysx said:
I only need a yak and pop up r2 to complete, but not that bothered atm. I bought a sealing machine and plastic sealed all my figs up, they are in a box in the loft.

One things for sure, I don't think you would regret not selling them, can't see them dropping in value.

sealed in bags or boxes?

sparkysx

Sith Lord
I bought some lay flat tubing and a heat sealer. sealed each fig with it's weapon, then neatly put them all in a large plastic tub with a lid. I keep all the caped figs at the top along with luke ben and vader so their saber tips don't get bent.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
There's never a dull moment for me... just quieter periods. I have 3 little focuses at the moment; a loose PBP run, a 20/21 back run and a little Yoda side focus. I enjoy hunting down each of them at a reasonable price. The PBP collection has stalled a bit but I'm loving the challenge of finding all the different loose Yoda variants.

Palitoy 12/20 backs is a very tricky and expensive run. Maybe there's something else you could go for? Cinema posters to complement your display room for example.

TrooperWill

Padawan
I have to say, I got a bit bored as my loose run started to come towards the end, the last few loosies took a bit of saving so went a few weeks/ months between purchases, but one thing that really got me interested was displaying my stuff.

I work in retail and manage 11 shops so display is something I think about. I picked up 2 ikea deltofs (highly doubt that is spelled correctly) and tried by best to make dioramas and make them as visually pleasing as possible, so even people who don't follow star wars could see what was going on. it really captivated my, got me looking online for ideas, and picking up stuff I never thought I would want, such as surplus ewoks and bespin guards.

every day or so I was opening the cabinets, tweaking the positions of figures and ships. it was a lot more enjoyable than just lining them all up on Perspex shelves. I don't have any photos (yet!) but to give you an idea:

I have Tatooine on the top shelf, with the cantina set up with patrons, greedo and han talking it out, lukes speeder stopped out the front with a few stormies grilling him and c3-po. also have an xwing squeezed above.

next shelf has the battle for hoth, rebel troops and tauntauns verses empire troops with radar cannons and tripod lasers, plus a snowspeeder and a wampa watching

next shelf has lando flanked by lobot and some bespin guards greeting han, leia and chewie at their arrival to bespin, backed by the cloud car and some ugnaughts looking on.

bottom has the battle of endor, with the AT-ST, two speeder bikes, ewoks, scout troopers, pruneface, han trenchcoat and the other endor rebels, all fighting it out.

I had as much fun trying to find scenery and accessories that would compliment the displays but not take away from the kennery goodness, such as Playmobile trees and ferns for endor and all the mini rigs, which I had mostly ignored up until then, but fit in surprisingly well in some situations.

this is just one of the two cabinets, ill type up the other an do some pictures for the showcase once I'm happy. the best thing was my fiancé finally got what I was trying to achieve with my collection and stopped winding me up about my expensive space dolls, my family and friends commented on how it looks like a toy museum display and several seemingly random figures they had no idea who they were suddenly became clear (such as the AT-ST driver, cloud car pilot etc..)

sorry for such a long reply but I'm sure you see my point, as mu signature says, you don't need to be spending thousands on minty sealed boxes to enjoy yourself.

pmsbull

Jedi Master
Cazza said:
I've definitely hit a bit of a lull. I cannot find the last couple of pieces I need to complete my childhood focus for love nor money and I'm getting a bit fed up with it :lol: They're not even high ticket items either. I'm also very unhappy with how mine are displayed and can't figure out a decent solution for a decent cost.I'm totally uninspired- I hardly ever look at them any more :( I will be selling quite a few MOCs next spring to help fund a new car. A couple of years ago, I would've been very reluctant to do this, but I'm a bit meh about it all at the moment.

pm me what the bits you need are will check see if I have them and ask mates too

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
pmsbull said:
Cazza said:
I've definitely hit a bit of a lull. I cannot find the last couple of pieces I need to complete my childhood focus for love nor money and I'm getting a bit fed up with it :lol: They're not even high ticket items either. I'm also very unhappy with how mine are displayed and can't figure out a decent solution for a decent cost.I'm totally uninspired- I hardly ever look at them any more :( I will be selling quite a few MOCs next spring to help fund a new car. A couple of years ago, I would've been very reluctant to do this, but I'm a bit meh about it all at the moment.

pm me what the bits you need are will check see if I have them and ask mates too

Thanks mate- PM'd you 8)

maxf

Jedi Master
I'm at the point where the last few bits I need fro my run are pretty hard to find, so could be months (or even years) without adding to my collection soon.

A break is good but not too long so to keep 'fresh' I expect I'll collect something else with a slightly less tight focus.

TWOFOOT

Jedi Master
You sell you whole collection. Then feel sorry for yourself. Then about 8 years later start collecting again and have a heart attack at what has happened to the price of loose figures. Be smart. Be like Twofoot....... Wait hang on a minute. Lol
Lesson well learned there.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
TWOFOOT said:
You sell you whole collection. Then feel sorry for yourself. Then about 8 years later start collecting again and have a heart attack at what has happened to the price of loose figures. Be smart. Be like Twofoot....... Wait hang on a minute. Lol
Lesson well learned there.
8 years, you're luck... I had a 15 year gap.
I couldn't get over the rise in prices in that time. :shock:

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
What do you do when collecting gets boring?

Looks like you arrange to have some stuff sold to pay for something you arranged to have bought :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom