Reproduction Weapons

BikerScout74

Padawan
Personally, I don't resent anyone who collects and has a passion for Star Wars, whether they buy vintage weapons or knowingly buy repro. Life is too short for resentment. The only people i would really resent are the people who pass off fake weapons as genuine.

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
This argument will be around for ever. There has been many polls on reproduction weapons on this forum and the many do not support it me included you cannot sell repro here i believe you cannot sell repro on any of the recognised facebook pages i am not a member so unsure. Also you cannot grade repro items so alarm bells should be ringing here its despised by many collectors who love original star wars toys and dont want it watered down with this crap.

BikerScout74

Padawan
This argument will be around for ever. There has been many polls on reproduction weapons on this forum and the many do not support it me included you cannot sell repro here i believe you cannot sell repro on any of the recognised facebook pages i am not a member so unsure. Also you cannot grade repro items so alarm bells should be ringing here its despised by many collectors who love original star wars toys and dont want it watered down with this crap.

Who exactly is it that is advocating selling repro here or on the FB forums? I'm certainly not. But I don't think we can shoot down anyone who simply has an opinion on the matter of repro! There are also many collectors who love Original Star Wars toys who do want it. Just a fact of collecting. Not such a hot issue in any other sphere of Toy collecting.

On the issue of grading, i despise it and think its detremental to the hobby. But again each to their own. If you like graded figures, I say all the more power to you!

tobeshadow

Padawan
I'm not really clear, for whom should these alarm bells be ringing exactly? We're simply having a discussion about the place of repro in modern collecting. I'm well aware of the opinions of the many on this forum...I share them...it's why I've joined :)

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
tobeshadow said:
I'm not really clear, for whom should these alarm bells be ringing exactly? We're simply having a discussion about the place of repro in modern collecting. I'm well aware of the opinions of the many on this forum...I share them...it's why I've joined :)

Alarm bells should be ringing to collectors coming collecting vintage star wars world where these reproductions are not aloud in the area's i represented . I do not wish to get into a full on debate with you guys as i do not know you personally but do disagree on the repro issue.

tobeshadow

Padawan
I think if you read back over my posts, you'll find I share your thoughts on repro exactly. I can't stand it on any level. I'm not defending it on any level either, just debating its role, however unwanted, in modern collecting. I don't know you personally either, does that stop us being able to have a discussion? :)

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
tobeshadow said:
I think if you read back over my posts, you'll find I share your thoughts on repro exactly. I can't stand it on any level. I'm not defending it on any level either, just debating its role, however unwanted, in modern collecting. I don't know you personally either, does that stop us being able to have a discussion? :)

Absolutely everyone is freely aloud to express there opinion and have a discussion. When i said alarm bells should be ringing to new collectors this was not aimed at you.

tobeshadow

Padawan
Never thought it was! :) I've been a solitary collector for a long time, so keen to chat stuff which is probably routine for a lot of members. Weird knowing where to start with so many posts and so much knowledge/experience! Always learning! :D

Good hunting!

Scouttroper74 said:
I'm simply supporting an earlier comment that complete is a statement of fact when it comes to Star Wars, it isn't open for interpretation. We know which toys were released and what each toy came with, essentially what the complete form looked like. You either have the figure/vehicle/play-set complete, or you don't.

The definition of what is 'complete' is in fact open to interpretation. What you are arguing for is the definition of a 'complete' VINTAGE figure. If you are stating that a 'complete' VINTAGE figure is only complete Vintage if it has its original accessory then I actually agree.
My point went completely over your head . My opinion means nothing nor does someone else's . The factory decided many years ago what a complete figure is , all contents within the blister of the moc . That is not open to interpretation or opinions , it's what ever the hell was sealed in the blister all them years ago . No ones opinion or interpretation will ever change what was sealed in them cards all them years ago .

Scouttroper74 said:
Opinion ? Its not a matter of opinion . It's a statement of fact , you either have a complete vintage figure or you don't . There is no grey area or opinion . If you have a loose vintage figure and you attach repro weapons to them they are still incomplete.

No, they are 'incomplete' according to your opinion. Not in the opinion of all collectors. Not everyone wants to collect as you say ' a complete VINTAGE figure', but merely a 'complete figure' ( a vintage figure albiet with a repro weapon). I never stated that a VINTAGE figure with a REPRO weapon is a 'complete VINTAGE figure'. Merely that it is a 'complete' figure in the eyes of many collectors. If that satisfies a collector, then who are we to tell them how to collect.
It's not a matter of opinion buddy , it's a statement of fact . You and I don't decide what is complete and vintage , that was decided a long time ago by Kenner with zero input from me and you . My opinion and yours is worthless. Kenner has already dictated what is a complete figure a long time ago . That's a fact . No opinion , no interpretation. Me and you and anyone else can not change that "fact".

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
Scouttroper74 said:
Using the term; 'lazy mans collection' is not helpful when describing the collection habits of people who don't have the funds or time to search out genuine vintage parts for their figure. They are every bit a valuable member of the collecting community as anyone else.

Actually I'd argue this point more vehemently than the 'is repro complete' point. These collectors who click £1 BIN for repro on eBay are definitely not as valuable as other members who take time the to contribute positively to the hobby, whether that's in as much as developing guides, sharing knowledge or defending the ethics of the hobby. The £1 BIN clickers are more likely to bail in 12 months having no contribution to the hobby at all. Yes, some stay and develop and become active participants but most are just scratching an itch that is easily reached and therefore get easily bored. They don't know what exists beyond FB let alone take the time to read up on all the wonderful historical information available on sites such as SWCA.

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
Like anything achieved very quickly, it's not appreciated the same as something that's taken time, effort and research to achieve. As a result the likelihood of a £1 BIN collector dumping their collection in 12 months time is exponentially increased. Does that person care if their repros end up in the market? The answer is no, probably not as they aren't as invested in the hobby.

It's not snobbery, it's fact.

BikerScout74

Padawan
My point went completely over your head . My opinion means nothing nor does someone else's . The factory decided many years ago what a complete figure is , all contents within the blister of the moc . That is not open to interpretation or opinions , it's what ever the hell was sealed in the blister all them years ago . No ones opinion or interpretation will ever change what was sealed in them cards all them years ago .

No...! I think your own point has completely gone over your own head, sir!

Firstly, the factory NEVER decided what a 'complete' figure was or is. Why the hell would they care!

But lets take your contention that the factory has decided many years ago what is a complete figure as a 'fact' for arguments sake.

I take it you have a complete collection of loose 'Vintage' figures with original weapons? This is certainly true for many collectors who are so vehemently against repro (and again they have every right to be!).

So then what you are saying is that even your collection of loose figures (all with original loose weapons) is not complete. Because they are no longer 'sealed in that blister with the card' that was defined by the 'factory' as 'complete'. Having them displayed without the blister and card makes them incomplete. Under your 'interpretation' it must therefore stand that the only truly 'complete' figures are those that are mint on card.

BikerScout74

Padawan
Actually I'd argue this point more vehemently than the 'is repro complete' point. These collectors who click £1 BIN for repro on eBay are definitely not as valuable as other members who take time the to contribute positively to the hobby,

So what about collectors like Toy Polloi who do highlight repro in their collection, but who only use it for army building? Are we to lump everyone in the same boat and say they are all lazy and detremental to the hobby? It's people like Toy Polloi who are a credit to the hobby and inject energy and enthusiasm into it.

Scouttroper74 said:

Firstly, the factory NEVER decided what a 'complete' figure was or is. Why the hell would they care!

But lets take your contention that the factory has decided many years ago what is a complete figure as a 'fact' for arguments sake.

I take it you have a complete collection of loose 'Vintage' figures with original weapons? This is certainly true for many collectors who are so vehemently against repro (and again they have every right to be!).

So then what you are saying is that even your collection of loose figures (all with original loose weapons) is not complete. Because they are no longer 'sealed in that blister with the card' that was defined by the 'factory' as 'complete'. Having them displayed without the blister and card makes them incomplete. Under your 'interpretation' it must therefore stand that the only truly 'complete' figures are those that are mint on card.
Are you trying to guess what people are saying and trying to put words into their mouths ? Your beyond me and I don't care to seriously attempt to communicate with you . Your not playing with a full deck .

Scouttroper74 said:

Loose is incomplete because it isn't moc ? It wouldn't be loose then would it ? The factory doesn't decide what is complete , what do they care ? Go get help mate .

BikerScout74

Padawan
Loose is incomplete because it isn't moc ? It wouldn't be loose then would it ? The factory doesn't decide what is complete , what do they care ?

Yes, but my point is that most collectors still define a loose figure with a loose original weapon as complete!!!!!

Go get help mate .

I think you are the one who should seek help! Help with controlling your ego and manners! If you are not capable of conducting a civil discussion without resorting to condescention then why bother!?

Scouttroper74 said:
Loose is incomplete because it isn't moc ? It wouldn't be loose then would it ? The factory doesn't decide what is complete , what do they care ?

Yes, but my point is that most collectors still define a loose figure with a loose original weapon as complete!!!!!

Go get help mate .

I think you are the one who should seek help! Help with controlling your ego and manners! If you are not capable of conducting a civil discussion without resorting to condescention then why bother!?
I don't care what you think . Give it up .

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom