Yellowing bubbles - observations

OTB Records

Padawan
So how common is it for bubbles to drop off and/or crack for no apparent reason and are there any document cases of this happening after a MoC figure has been graded and slabbed by AFA?

Palifan

Sith Lord
Not to sure about a bubble falling off after being graded (although I think I did see one a while back), but I have a couple of near bubble fails in my collection being a 21 back Boba Fett and a 20 back Palitoy Walrus Man. Neither of these bubbles have yellowed but the seal has all but gone on both of them and I don't believe either figure has ever been removed from the bubble.

These bubble/seal fails are very tricky to reseal as you'll end up seeing the glue behind the seal as there's no paper attached to the bubble. For this reason I've left both of them and will probably end up using a top loader to secure the bubble to the card back. It's not ideal but better than causing damage to the bubble when it hasn't ever been opened. My other slight concern with regards to the top loader is that I wonder if it might end up yellowing the bubble in some way over time, who knows, only time will time.

Ian

OTB Records

Padawan
These photos are from the forthcoming Vectis 'shop find' auction. Quite a lot of yellows there. Not sure what this adds to the known facts but I thought it would be worth showing.

_782431855181453_5362350711994053845_n_zpsxqybrit4.jpg

_782431961848109_7409484910998138136_n_zps9gxa6e5z.jpg

6_782431851848120_476203535366295355_n_zps6oumdfm4.jpg

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
There are some really clear Klaatu's in that haul and they are pretty difficult to find crystal clear but not being able to see whether they're Palitoy or Kenner makes things abit more difficult.

Interesting that all of the big goofy Palitoy bubbles are 100% clear (some Han Hoth, lots of Biker Scouts, couple of Bib) so that was obviously a good batch of plastic.

OTB Records

Padawan
As far as I'm aware those MoC figures have been stored for many years (probably since first delivered) in manufacturer's outer boxes. Therefore they have been stored in the dark and probably in a relatively good environment when it comes to temperature etc. So all-in-all pretty good if not perfect storage conditions. As can be seen a good number have yellowed badly whilst some have remained very clear.

Given they have all been stored in the same way for probably the last 30 years then I think this definitely shows that the chemical make up of the plastic used is critical when it comes to how quickly and badly bubbles yellow.

Going back to my original question, what do people think the chances of those that are still clear are when it comes to going yellow? If they have remained clear for 30+/- years why should they suddenly go yellow if stored correctly.

What do you think? :)

Hod10

Padawan
I used to have some Episode 1 and Episode 2 figures stored away all together. Bought in 1999/2000 and 2002. 15 figures maybe and at some point I packed them all together and stored them in darkness. When I opened the box after 5-10 years or so all were as normal bar one, Boss Nass... dark yellow (caramel). Think the plastic the figure is made with and the amount of it in ratio to bubble size can also add to the speed of yellowing. Clash of trapped gasses and the grade of bubble plastics maybe. Something like that anyway. Lots of variables.

The Palitoy Logray's in the above are caramel that's for sure.

ie, vintage Hong Kong Kenner ROTJ Yoda, small figure and a small bubble, often yellow. Unless it's made in China (exceptional grade of bubble plastic).

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
My thoughts are that plastic quality is the number one factor, with off gassing number two and environmental conditions either speeding up or delaying the deterioration. In 75 years will any still be clear, I don't think so. Which will last longest? Probably early SW and Trilogo as so far these seem to have stood the test of time the best so no reason for that to change.

Just a matter of time though.

I think off gassing has a lot to answer for though. Think how pop cut cards and bubbles opened many years ago tend to have stayed clearer than fully sealed.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Dannywhiteley said:
My thoughts are that plastic quality is the number one factor, with off gassing number two and environmental conditions either speeding up or delaying the deterioration. In 75 years will any still be clear, I don't think so. Which will last longest? Probably early SW and Trilogo as so far these seem to have stood the test of time the best so no reason for that to change.

Just a matter of time though.

I think off gassing has a lot to answer for though. Think how pop cut cards and bubbles opened many years ago tend to have stayed clearer than fully sealed.

Someone told me Made In Mexico MOC's are often clear as the cards have a hole puncture behind the sealed figure. Is that correct? Why was the hole put in to the card?

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Not sure if the hole would stop the bubble going yellow.
It may do as I believe it was there to stop condensation forming inside the bubble.
As Mexico is a hot country when sealed objects are moved between different temperatures condensation can form, venting to atmosphere will reduce this from happening.

Taffius

Sith Lord
indianawars said:
Funnily enough, I've seen MOC's with clear bubbles that have had small holes in the back of the card.

Wasnt that a Mexico / Lily Ledy technique to combat moisture and/or humidity? Pressure too perhaps.

indianawars

Sith Lord
Taffius said:
indianawars said:
Funnily enough, I've seen MOC's with clear bubbles that have had small holes in the back of the card.

Wasnt that a Mexico / Lily Ledy technique to combat moisture and/or humidity? Pressure too perhaps.

You're absolutely right about it being a Lily Ledy technique. If my memory serves me well, these were Kenner MOC's with tiny holds punched through. Unfortunately, science was never my strong point.

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
I could be way off as this is only a theory but i have seen a lot of the big figures i.e gamorrean guard logray rancor keeper and emperor all suffering with bad yellow bubbles. Could this be due to the density of plastic used and the fact the figures are degrading in some way and possibly leaching out chemicals having a reaction to the bubble over the years. And if there was a hole in these ledy card's they could in affect breath and release what could be causing this ?

As i said just a theory i only have gcse science and that was a while ago haha.

smarchitelli

BTW, you probably already know this, but sun is not the only culprit of discoloration. In fact, a chemical known as Bromine is often the cause. Bromine is a flame retardant that was added to most plastics in the 80's and 90's. It is a brown color, which is what causes most of the 'yellowing' you see on the white figures. Perhaps Bromine was added to the actual packaging/bubbles as well?

That said, UV light does act as a catalyst for the chemical change that brings the Bromine atoms to the surface.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom