So are all collectors the same?

MrGudz

Jedi Master
Supporter
From what I've read on here, really sums up what the forum is as a collective. It comes down to decency and being respectful of what we collect and what others have. I love seeing what other people have found and for them to share that is even better.
I too have heard and read comments by a small minority of collectors regarding "How much there's is worth compared to another's!" Or "Mines a better grade that that" etc. Mostly on Facebook I'm afraid.
I recently got my arse into gear and sorted a display case out. It's something I wanted to do for ages. I now have something I can go and look at and it gives me a huge smile when I do. That to me is what it's about.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Really interesting question Lee

I remember distinctly being a bit embarrassed when I was asked to go on The Vintage Rebellion Podcast a year or so ago as I thought my collection was too small and insignificant to be discussed/featured. I guess we are all at times a little humble actually, despite limelighting and showcasing what we pick-up or how we display things etc. I was genuinely shocked and embarrassed when I sent over a little video clip of my room and in response on the episode, Rich described it as a top collection... maybe we should all sit back and appreciate what we have a bit more and not look at others with so much envy and be proud of what we have.... lesson learnt right there for me.

There are of course some crazy collections out there that most of us will never emulate, even with a major lottery win they couldn't be bought, the old school US pre-production pioneers, the early 90's completists... they really are untouchable, they collected and accumulated at a time when monetary values were so disconnected from today's madness and the items they have in swap will be more than some of our entire collection are worth.... a lot of that is just down to timing, a lot though is like collecting today, down to learning, hard work, networking and friendships.

That's the key to collecting for me; learning, hard work, networking and friendship, not what you've got and how much it cost or is worth.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
_Lee_ said:
Ive been thinking about this for a bit, and it really does make a good point of discussion. In my past I have come across certain collectors who look down upon others for collecting on a budget. I remember someone saying to me a good few years back that someone he knew had stated that he wasn't a 'proper' Palitoy collector because he didn't have a set of the first 12 sealed. A very harsh judgement to make I thought, but also one that I would think very few would agree with.

So basically, does it make you anyless of a collector than the next when you collect this way?

Personally I think any one that thinks you are not a collector unless you have certain items does not understand collecting. I myself have experienced something similar to this in that I have been called an investor, unfortunately there are individuals in all walks of life including people on this forum that feel the need to label and ridicule individuals for their own self importance and gratification, these people should be avoided as life is more interesting without them!

subzero

Sith Lord
I was actually half thinking about starting a new post about my experience on facebook but this topic seems suited for me to post it here...

It really bugs me how there's such a huge difference in collecting communities across different platforms, iv'e been a member on here now coming up to a year and a half and is actually the very first collector site of any kind iv'e ever joined, the community and the people on here is great and it's something that's made me want to stay. Whenever I collect something of interest, it don't matter if it's rare or expensive, extremely cheap or just outright quirky and obscure, Star Wars or not, I can show it on this forum and people here appreciate it, they appreciate it's historical value, it's condition, are genuinely fascinated by it and then actual meaningful discussions about the piece might follow, including how it also somehow played a part in their childhood too, and I find that stuff really interesting to hear how the thing that I loved also affected others. Nothing is ever mentioned about how much the item cost, unless of course it's relevant to why the OP is sharing it such as a problem with the item etc, but money is always the last thing on collectors minds here, they're just happy to have experienced someone sharing the vintage item with them and the fact that they got to see it....

Enter facebook :lol: I joined a MOTU collectors page not long back in the hope that I might find a couple of pieces eventually come up for sale that I was after, but eventually I tried to be more active with the community there and share some of my collection, after posting a picture of my Skeletor MOC to share with them I was met with the following responses... #LIFEGOALS, a 'bag of cash' emoji repeated 6 times, and a GIF image of Kim Kardashian flicking money out of her hand from a stack ( not joking ). Yet not a single mention of how nice condition it is or any kind of 'congratulation' about being able to find it, and then there's the amount of times iv'e seen people share something they've acquired where someone has commented and asked what they paid for it, like as if value and rarity is the only thing they're interested in.

If people wanna be that way then fine be like it if that's what makes them happy, it just annoys me a bit how different sites attract different people, it seems Facebook just attracts people with a kind of herd mentality where they just choose to follow the behaviour of everyone else on there, and all the others who don't act that way i'm guessing leave because of it, leaving only the sheeple on there. And i'm close to leaving this group myself very shortly after only several weeks because of the childish mentality and competition mindset that it breeds. I also remember my extremely brief time with Echo Base last year ( about 2 days long :lol: ) where somebody posted up a comment mentioning about their difficulty in not being able to find a VCJ for their collection for the right price these days, and some dickhead replied to it with "just gonna leave this here" along with an image of about 3 or 4 VCJ's, 2 of which were carded. What a way to ****ing show off to someone with "hey look at me, I have all these and you don't har har har", and I even remember someone replying to his picture asking "omg are you a Bond villain or something how did you afford all those?"

Facebook seriously is cancer!

Gears have officially been ground, aahh where's the coffee?! :lol:

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
There are three types of collector:

The low-end collector;
The high-end collector;
The bell-end collector.

The first two co-exist harmoniously, it's only when the third is involved that problems begin. :wink:

subzero

Sith Lord
peekaygee73 said:

The low-end collector;
The high-end collector;
The bell-end collector.

The first two co-exist harmoniously, it's only when the third is involved that problems begin. :wink:

:lol: :lol: Simple math, I like it!

pmsbull

Jedi Master
With every person that forgets about collecting and goes for investing, the hobby dies a little.

The stuff I hold dearest is the items that have a personal connection in some way - a cool in the wild find, or a special memory, an event or occasion attached to them - and more often that not, these are in the cheaper end of my collection.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
theforceuk said:
I don't understand 'your not a proper collector'. If your human and actively collect something then your a collector.

Not if your concerned with future values then you cease to be a collector and become an investor, you are also not human more cyborg, similar to a Terminator!

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
peekaygee73 said:

The low-end collector;
The high-end collector;
The bell-end collector.

Love it! :lol:

lejackal

Grand Master
Wreck-It Ralph said:
theforceuk said:
I don't understand 'your not a proper collector'. If your human and actively collect something then your a collector.

Not if your concerned with future values then you cease to be a collector and become an investor, you are also not human more cyborg, similar to a Terminator!
Not sure if this is an opinion or a confession :wink: :lol:

paulcalf

Jedi Knight
Hi all

I haven't been on for ages as i haven't been adding to my collection.

This thread caught my attention

For me my collection is all about my childhood and nostalgia.

Michael Sith I absolutely love your chewy bubble and card, what a bargain for £30 - Chewy was my first ever figure, so he has a very special place in my heart. I've still got my chewy and bought a cardback to display with him.

I couldn't justify/afford a MOC chewy, but i would love to buy a card with bubble attached if anyone hears of another!

I've just re located my childhood figure collection, they are now the first thing I see when I enter my house. Hopefully this will re enthuse me and get me back on SWFUK again.

Happy collecting everyone, except bell end collectors!

Michael Sith said:
I am definitely a budget collector and agree totally Lee, in regard to making whole again something that was not whole before, saving vintage pieces.
Human nature as always will dictate the actions of others, who may look down on those that collect on a budget and set elitist parameters for collecting, if they are comfortable with that then that's up to them, but it would not ever sway me in any way.
I collect what makes me happy and makes me smile, and that means putting together my collection on a budget and displaying for me.
Case in point..... bubble and card, bubble fully attached left hand side purchased on eBay £30 ish already had the figure, am I happy with it...hell yes, does it display well for me....yes

starshipriot

Jedi Master
I'm not particularly wealthy, so there's no chance of me ever considering a carded collection. Does that make me a non-serious collector? I really couldn't care either way. I have a banging collection of loose complete figures that I have acquired mostly from forum members since I joined up here, and I have had an absolute blast putting my small collection together. I'm just needing about four last 17, which I will probably pick up weaponless, just as filler until I can find them at an affordable price. And if I can't, well it's no-bodies business really.

I love so many old toylines as well as retro video games that it can be very hard to find stuff on a budget, as there's so much bloody stuff I want! I actually have been concentrating on my retro gaming collection more than I have old toys, and as such I haven't picked up anything Star Wars for a while despite frequenting the forum to see what's been going on.

That was until I bought a Famicom cartridge off a Japanese seller the other day and had a look at what else they were selling, and a loose Takara Tomy 1978 "Space Alloy" R2D2 caught my eye. Despite not really focusing on SW for the time being, I couldn't resist, so now have a vintage R2 en-route from Japan.

I might not be a proper collector, but it's hard to shake the bug and judging on how excited I am for R2 to arrive, I think I just got hooked again. Now to find them Last 17 I'm needin'!

Taffius

Sith Lord
Great topic Lee. Had to add my reply.

I think there is an element (perceived) of some long time experienced collectors looking down at the mere inadequate and method of how you collect (general terms and not specific people). It might be for number of reasons though and not as you many initally think.
Different collectors will do and collect different ways so there will be always an element of what is perceived as not being a proper collector if different to another in collecting styles or for the items you obtain. How can you be a collector and a seller?

Expensive pieces attract attention. Perhaps the class difference is then perceived differently too. Sub groups will gravitate people to similar likes as their own, but I dont think there is too many here that look down in extremis at any collection as they wouldnt be here? Does that sound about right for this forum.

Would I say I am a proper collector????
I would say I am trying to be a completist collector (all figures with weapons / combo of loose and carded) but still a collector in one form of many.

Let them look down.....I am too busy plodding along to notice or care about their perception of me or my items. :D

Taffius

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
peekaygee73 said:

The low-end collector;
The high-end collector;
The bell-end collector.

That is a great summary snaketibe - which one do I fall into though? :lol:

subzero

Sith Lord
In my simple view anyone who looks for multiple items to buy with the aim of simply owning them to enjoy is a collector, no matter what they are or their value or how many items there are. I can choose to start going outside and gather up and keep several different used fag ends off the floor and i'd still be classed as a collector.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Taffius said:
Snaketibe said:
peekaygee73 said:

The low-end collector;
The high-end collector;
The bell-end collector.

I can't take credit for that summary, I'm afraid. That was peekaygee73's work, although in light of subzero's post above, perhaps a fourth category of 'fag-end collector' should be added? :lol:

subzero

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
Taffius said:
Snaketibe said:

I can't take credit for that summary, I'm afraid. That was peekaygee73's work, although in light of subzero's post above, perhaps a fourth category of 'fag-end collector' should be added? :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Fag-end latest acquisitions 8)

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
subzero said:
Snaketibe said:
Taffius said:

Ah, but will some fag-end collectors look down on others? Will the rich ones come from Mayfair and Pall Mall and think they're a Silk Cut above the rest? Will they make lesser collectors the butt of their jokes? And once they find their cigarette grails, is it all Dunhill after that, or business ash usual?

I'll get my coat...

subzero

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
subzero said:
Snaketibe said:

Ah, but will some fag-end collectors look down on others? Will the rich ones come from Mayfair and Pall Mall and think they're a Silk Cut above the rest? Will they make lesser collectors the butt of their jokes? And once they find their cigarette grails, is it all Dunhill after that, or business ash usual?

I'll get my coat...

Haha! that's made my afternoon. :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom