SWTOTW, Week 40, 2018, Part 2/2 Early Bird Certificate Package

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Early Bird Certificate Package:

early.jpg

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
I wish. Think this currently tops my wanted list. I don't think I can afford to ever own it, but stop short of calling it a grail piece as it isn't unobtainable. Looking forward to seeing if any of you have it in your collection.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
I wish. Think this currently tops my wanted list. I don't think I can afford to ever own it, but stop short of calling it a grail piece as it isn't unobtainable. Looking forward to seeing if any of you have it in your collection.

I only have a part of it :lol: but also a grail that I hope to complete in the future and again an item that I wish I had completed 10 years ago or more :lol: Could be cool to see if any on the forum have a complete set that he or she would share with us :D

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I completely understand why many collectors want one, but it's a piece that's never really appealed to me. I guess it's because it was never available in the UK, and hence I never had one as a child and hence have no nostalgic pull towards owning one as an adult. And unlike the Kenner items never released over here which were toys in their own right (e.g. The Sandcrawler) and therefore had their own appeal, the Early Bird set didn't do a lot. Add in the fact that all the figures were also available carded, albeit with many EB sets coming with a double-telescoping Luke of course which is very hard to find carded (and not at all on a Palitoy card, at least as far as anyone seems to know), and the end result is that I've never really wanted one. And of course these days they're also extremely expensive, giving me even less motivation to try to get one.

Don't get me wrong, it's a major piece of vintage Star Wars toy history, and as I say, I totally understand the appeal for many other collectors, but for the reasons stated above, it's just not a piece for me.

Graham_Marshall

Padawan
Hi everyone. Here is my early bird mailer which was mailed out as it has an address label. I purchased this around 10 years ago on the old RS boards from a chap in the States. Although the figures were loose I decided to put them in Kenner baggies. (Incorrect ones I know) The pegs are in a plain zip lock baggie also. Nevertheless the Luke is a D.T. R2 has the darker paint and both Leia and Chewie's weapons are the blue green variants so I'm happy with them. The tray is in good shape as are the catalogue (2nd issue with the Luke & Leia the correct way round) and display stand mailer flyer. Unfortunately Luke and Leia's torsos have started to yellow. If anyone has any leads on early baggies that would compliment these figures I would be very grateful. All in all probably a bit of a Frankenstein set but I love it. :D

I have an opened early bird envelope to go with it, sans coupon but that is squirrelled away elsewhere :D

7DD2F7EF-1DD8-4A03-AC2D-239CA72803AB_zpstrpsio1a.jpg

767C4A16-FBDC-4AED-BA11-A99583075CCE_zps7k6vwdx3.jpg

36EDD94E-3685-49B4-B861-91B7F8588E79_zpsrerd3ejt.jpg

FB95C0EE-01FA-475B-A84B-66477A2ACD9D_zpsyzwtdodg.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Graham_Marshall said:
Hi everyone. Here is my early bird mailer which was mailed out as it has an address label. I purchased this around 10 years ago on the old RS boards from a chap in the States. Although the figures were loose I decided to put them in Kenner baggies. (Incorrect ones I know) The pegs are in a plain zip lock baggie also. Nevertheless the Luke is a D.T. R2 has the darker paint and both Leia and Chewie's weapons are the blue green variants so I'm happy with them. The tray is in good shape as are the catalogue (2nd issue with the Luke & Leia the correct way round) and display stand mailer flyer. Unfortunately Luke and Leia's torsos have started to yellow. If anyone has any leads on early baggies that would compliment these figures I would be very grateful. All in all probably a bit of a Frankenstein set but I love it. :D

I have an opened early bird envelope to go with it, sans coupon but that is squirrelled away elsewhere :D

Wow what beauty that set is graham, thanks for sharing the pictures and it also great to see you in the star wars of the week threads :wink:

any idea what such a set cost today ? :?

I could for sure live with a Frankenstein set :lol:

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Many thanks for sharing your Early Bird Set, very nice!
Could you explain this for me
2nd issue with the Luke & Leia the correct way round
Thanks

Graham_Marshall

Padawan
Mini99 said:
Thanks

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

The first issue catalogue has the Luke and Leia logo reversed but was corrected to the standard image we see on the above and all other Star Wars issued toys.

I got all of the above minus baggies plus the envelope in one go. And i'm sorry to say including postage from the States it cost a little over £300. The outer sabre has a crack in it though if that makes this news any easier :wink:

Graham_Marshall

Padawan
Pomse2001 said:
any idea what such a set cost today ? :?

I could for sure live with a Frankenstein set :lol:

No idea what it would cost today. Glad I got it when I did. In fact I haven't purchased any SW in a long time. The prices nowerdays are bonkers. :shock:

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Graham_Marshall said:
Mini99 said:
Thanks

The first issue catalogue has the Luke and Leia logo reversed but was corrected to the standard image we see on the above and all other Star Wars issued toys.

I got all of the above minus baggies plus the envelope in one go. And i'm sorry to say including postage from the States it cost a little over £300. The outer sabre has a crack in it though if that makes this news any easier :wink:
Thanks for the information, I did not know that.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Graham_Marshall said:

That's a lovely set and thanks for sharing pictures of it. Although as stated above the set doesn't appeal to me personally enough to make me want to buy one, it's still great to see one and also terrific that you were willing to share it on the Toy of the Week threads, so thank you :)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Graham_Marshall said:
Mini99 said:
Thanks

wow £300 is still a fantastic price, you can't get it for that kind of money today 8)

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
That's also a great piece of early Star Wars history, that there Lars.

I was trying to rack my brains as to why I love the first 12 so much, the original Star Wars logo and many of the items associated with the first wave of releases, despite being too young to have bought the items in the shops first time round. I concluded it was because I just loved the movie more than the others, but I'd never really questioned why until recently.

But then I realised I never actually saw any of the movies at the cinema. So the first time I saw Star Wars was when it was first shown on tv in October 1982 and then probably repeated in September 1983 and definitely again during the Christmas period of December 1984. Empire, on the other hand wasn't shown until December 1988 and Jedi until December 1989, and by this time I had definitely moved on to other things.

That's not to say that I didn't watch it until then. I would of watched it on home video, but like a lot of families back then, my parents would have considered it a waste to get the same video out more than once. So by the time I watched Empire for the 2nd time in 1988 I would of watched Star Wars loads of times taped from the tv.

Which goes a long way to me finally understanding why I love the first 12 so much and why I'd love to own an EB Kit one day.

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
DT Luke and Back Drop

Attachments

• 20180703_205204.jpg
    20180703_205204.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,055
  • 20180704_094231.jpg
    20180704_094231.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,059
  • IMG-20180714-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20180714-WA0000.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,054
  • IMG-20180714-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20180714-WA0001.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,057
  • IMG-20180714-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20180714-WA0002.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,078

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
That's also a great piece of early Star Wars history, that there Lars.

I was trying to rack my brains as to why I love the first 12 so much, the original Star Wars logo and many of the items associated with the first wave of releases, despite being too young to have bought the items in the shops first time round. I concluded it was because I just loved the movie more than the others, but I'd never really questioned why until recently.

But then I realised I never actually saw any of the movies at the cinema. So the first time I saw Star Wars was when it was first shown on tv in October 1982 and then probably repeated in September 1983 and definitely again during the Christmas period of December 1984. Empire, on the other hand wasn't shown until December 1988 and Jedi until December 1989, and by this time I had definitely moved on to other things.

That's not to say that I didn't watch it until then. I would of watched it on home video, but like a lot of families back then, my parents would have considered it a waste to get the same video out more than once. So by the time I watched Empire for the 2nd time in 1988 I would of watched Star Wars loads of times taped from the tv.

Which goes a long way to me finally understanding why I love the first 12 so much and why I'd love to own an EB Kit one day.

Thanks mate for the kind words and I understand why you do not want to collect this items. I have it just like that with other star wars items. Baggies, The 12" range the figures, Micro star wars and Die Cast is not something I collect and I even do not remember them from my childhood or saw them for sale in denmark in the 80s. But then again I collect other star wars items that also was not for sale in my country in the good old days :D I also never saw star wars in the cinema, I was not old enough. I think it was in 84 when I saw my first star wars movie in tv a new hope, maybe 83 :?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom