New retroline.......

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Luke_Retro.jpg

If you look closely at the area around Luke's belt/left hip and stomach you can see some fine steps/lines. These are the layers of a 3D resin SLA print. If the prototypes shown here are 3D prints they would have had to make 3D scans, which would have been digitally cleaned up, or make all new digital sculpts from scratch. The sculpts, whilst exhibiting some differences to originals, are too close to be from scratch to my eye. It's also far more efficient with this technology to get you ~70% of the way than starting from scratch.

Palifan

Sith Lord
These retro figures sure have split the SW fans like The Last Jedi :lol: !

I still do think they're a slight cash grab from the point of view of jumping on the retro 5 POA figure bandwagon that companies like Super7 and ReAction have been building up over the last few years (also Mezco are moving into this area this year). I don't blame them as like any big business they're looking to make a profit so are trying to find something that will market well.

For me I did buy into TFA, Rogue One and TLJ figures even though I don't think of myself as a modern SW collector (I might have to have a think about that though :D ), but even though I do think the Solo figures are some of the most interesting figures that have been made for this new era of SW I'm only going to pick them up on discount. What does always turn my head though is any product with a vintage twist like the 40th anniversary 6" series, Helix and this series. Their marketing sure works on me (damn you Hasbro!), and I think it's just to do with the nostalgia of seeing this 70's card art again. I think that's the reason the Tarkin isn't really grabbing me at the moment, it's not something I ever owned so it just looks like a modern figure to me (including the card art). These certainly don't upset me in any way and it would be nice to see them hanging from the pegs at some point as I'm sure it will bring me back to when I was young and seeing them for the first time.

Hasbro have done their research enough to realise that they just can't please all the SW fans out there who must seem to them to be never happy with what's released (that might just be to do with the amount of complaints I've read over the years), and it was very hard to pick up the 40th anniversary 6" on release so they must have sold well so why not try this. We'll see what happens to them on release and also what comes from it in the future but I'm happy to see them and don't think they'll really effect much of the vintage line in the future. There will always me a market for the real deal and as someone mentioned here I don't think vintage Transformers ever really took a hit from all the modern/retro Transformer products that have been released since the G1 era.

Ian

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
TK-7785 said:
Luke_Retro.jpg
If you look closely at the area around Luke's belt/left hip and stomach you can see some fine steps/lines. These are the layers of a 3D resin SLA print. If the prototypes shown here are 3D prints they would have had to make 3D scans, which would have been digitally cleaned up, or make all new digital sculpts from scratch. The sculpts, whilst exhibiting some differences to originals, are too close to be from scratch to my eye. It's also far more efficient with this technology to get you ~70% of the way than starting from scratch.

Thanks for this explanation Chris its very interesting.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Stubbs said:
TK-7785 said:
Luke_Retro.jpg

Thanks for this explanation Chris its very interesting.
On page 5 of this thread, I posted news from Rebelscum (http://www.rebelscum.com/story/fron..._The_Retro_Collection_Presentation_183138.asp) which states that these figures are indeed new sculpts in a slightly larger scale than vintage. How exactly they define 'new sculpt' however is unknown at this point.

grinchy

Sith Lord
Just preordered a set, not a bad price for 6 figures under 60 quid with postage, I'm pleased with that, i'll be keeping them on card :D

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Just ordered a set, utterly pointless purchase but I don't want to be left out when everyone has them delivered! :lol:

You can't argue with 6 figs for under 60 quid. If anything they are a reminder of the great Retrogate debate of 2019.

I can't image I'll ever buy an original 12 back anytime soon so worth a punt.

Quite excited now! :lol: :lol: :lol:

jayums

Jedi Master
The dog eared look and the big red retro stickers haven't gone down too well, but Inadvertently or not, hasbro has made it more difficult for some nobhead to scan the artwork and use them for repro vintage cards.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
These certainly don't upset me in any way and it would be nice to see them hanging from the pegs at some point as I'm sure it will bring me back to when I was young and seeing them for the first time.

Let's hope that they hang them on very high up hooks so there difficult to reach to really get that nostalgia kicking in! :lol:

Palifan

Sith Lord
Let's hope that they hang them on very high up hooks to really get that nostalgia kicking in! :lol:[/quote]

:lol:

Ian

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Palifan said:
Let's hope that they hang them on very high up hooks to really get that nostalgia kicking in! :lol:

Ian[/quote]
What do you mean, these will be just like POTF2.
I remember they were going to fund mine and everyone else's pension fund!
I'm still waiting to cash in. :?

scooternick

Jedi Knight
I'd buy a retro triple pack if they ever released one again (not the ones already available with the beefed up figures!). Zero chance of getting an original triple pack any time soon...

jayums

Jedi Master
Robstyley said:
Pomse2001 said:
Is it just me or is the colour on grand moff tarkin's uniform wrong ? :?

Yes, it's too light. Should be a darker grey slate colour. Another example of poor attention to detail. The figure doesn't look "retro" or vintage looking at all.

I thought that too. The colour scheme looks similar to other vintage figure greys (dsc, tie pilot) so perhaps that's what they were thinking?

I agree the facial sculpt looks overly detailed /cartoonish, but I will reserve judgment until i have it in hand. I find a lot of the vintage figures look a bit odd if you look at them too closely... X wing Luke reminds me of windy Miller!

Palifan

Sith Lord
jayums said:
Robstyley said:
Pomse2001 said:
Is it just me or is the colour on grand moff tarkin's uniform wrong ? :?

Yes, it's too light. Should be a darker grey slate colour. Another example of poor attention to detail. The figure doesn't look "retro" or vintage looking at all.

I thought that too. The colour scheme looks similar to other vintage figure greys (dsc, tie pilot) so perhaps that's what they were thinking?

I agree the facial sculpt looks overly detailed /cartoonish, but I will reserve judgment until i have it in hand. I find a lot of the vintage figures look a bit odd if you look at them too closely... X wing Luke reminds me of windy Miller!

X-Wing Luke has one of the worst head sculpts from the entire vintage range. I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting but that figures head never quite looked right to me, even growing up with it but the body's really nice and card art so I can see why it's a popular one to collect as a focus.

Ian

Crumm

Padawan
Palifan said:
jayums said:
Robstyley said:

X-Wing Luke has one of the worst head sculpts from the entire vintage range. I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting but that figures head never quite looked right to me, even growing up with it but the body's really nice and card art so I can see why it's a popular one to collect as a focus.

Ian

Yep, great figure with a terrible head.

When I was a kid I always thought that the black visor bit was supposed to be Luke's hair, but really badly done.

I still thought that until about two years ago when I read on a forum what it actually is.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom