Wow stunning example but what a price

ChallengerFox

Jedi Knight
I think also it has a lot to do with that I used to look after my toys and a cardboard toy like that would have been easily destroyed when my friends came round to play.

kingshearer

Jedi Master
ChallengerFox said:
I think also it has a lot to do with that I used to look after my toys and a cardboard toy like that would have been easily destroyed when my friends came round to play.
Yer but that doesn't detract from the fact that the DS is a thing of beauty and perfect for reenacting loads of famous scenes.
I wouldn't of let my mates near my DS if I was one of the rich boys who was fortunate enough to own one.

Palifan

Sith Lord
kingshearer said:
I can't believe there's no love for the cardboard Death Star, it's the ultimate playset from the 1977-85 line.

I couldn't agree more, my favorite toy/playset growing up without doubt and way better than the Cantina that I didn't end up playing that much with (which ironically I still have unlike my childhood DS).

Maybe the DS compared to say Castle Grayskull would be a tough competition but the end of the day the DS is based on SW so it's always going to win out for me :D

Ian

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I've never understood the appeal. I wouldn't pay £500 for it, never mind 5k. I'm talking as a collector but I'm not sure I would have liked it as a kid. I played with an AT-AT and a Falcon as a kid and compared to them this is just lame. It's prob because I don't have any connection to it. Slightly before my time, I was Empire and Jedi era.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I think nostalgia will undoubtedly have a lot to do with many collectors liking it (as it does with collecting vintage Star Wars in general for most of us, of course). I'm sure there will be some people who never owned one, but still appreciate the toy too of course, but if you never owned one as a child, you won't have the nostalgic thrill of remembering how awesome the Palitoy Death Star was to actually play with. I spent hours playing with mine, sending Luke, Han, Chewie and Leia sailing down the trash compactor chute, then trying to crush them with the moving wall just before they managed to escape at the last moment through the door! The central chasm was used for Ben to stand perilously close to as he switched off the tractor beam to let the Falcon escape! Our heroes would race through the rooms and across the bridge as they fought their way out against the Stormtroopers and Death Squad Commander, but had to be very careful not to fall down the lift with its rising Stormtroopers :)! Ben would face off against Vader as Luke watched on, horrified, before they finally made it to safety! Meanwhile, a stormtrooper would sit in the gun chair and battle my X-Wing as it swooped overhead looking for the exhaust port! :-D

If you played with one as a kid, I challenge you not to love the thing today! If you didn't, well, you can save yourself a few hundred quid then ;-)

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
I never owned one as a kid, but I'd love one now. Will never own one as I can't justify that kind of money. I like it because of the racetrack, the huge SW and Palitoy logos. I love the Star Wars Logo, the first 12 and everything to do with ANH which explains why I like this I think. It would fit in with how I see my collection developing.

kingshearer

Jedi Master
Palifan said:
kingshearer said:
I can't believe there's no love for the cardboard Death Star, it's the ultimate playset from the 1977-85 line.

I couldn't agree more, my favorite toy/playset growing up without doubt and way better than the Cantina that I didn't end up playing that much with (which ironically I still have unlike my childhood DS).

Maybe the DS compared to say Castle Grayskull would be a tough competition but the end of the day the DS is based on SW so it's always going to win out for me :D

Ian
Nice one.
I suppose the best comparison would be the Action Force headquarters but that was pure fiction
unlike the Deathstar which is out there somewhere 8)

kingshearer

Jedi Master
Snaketibe said:
I think nostalgia will undoubtedly have a lot to do with many collectors liking it (as it does with collecting vintage Star Wars in general for most of us, of course). I'm sure there will be some people who never owned one, but still appreciate the toy too of course, but if you never owned one as a child, you won't have the nostalgic thrill of remembering how awesome the Palitoy Death Star was to actually play with. I spent hours playing with mine, sending Luke, Han, Chewie and Leia sailing down the trash compactor chute, then trying to crush them with the moving wall just before they managed to escape at the last moment through the door! The central chasm was used for Ben to stand perilously close to as he switched off the tractor beam to let the Falcon escape! Our heroes would race through the rooms and across the bridge as they fought their way out against the Stormtroopers and Death Squad Commander, but had to be very careful not to fall down the lift with its rising Stormtroopers :)! Ben would face off against Vader as Luke watched on, horrified, before they finally made it to safety! Meanwhile, a stormtrooper would sit in the gun chair and battle my X-Wing as it swooped overhead looking for the exhaust port! :-D

I think you've got all the elements of a blockbuster film here :p
I never had one as a kid and never seen one in the flesh either, but still yearned for one well into adulthood and ended up paying ££ to get one - it was well worth the expenditure 8)

kingshearer

Jedi Master
Pomse2001 said:
Nice set, but I think the price is crazy :shock:
All vintage is crazy now though, you could probably get a boxed DS for the same price as a carded last 17 r2d2.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
kingshearer said:
Pomse2001 said:
Nice set, but I think the price is crazy :shock:
All vintage is crazy now though, you could probably get a boxed DS for the same price as a carded last 17 r2d2.

Many prices are crazy today, but there are still a few items that is ok today.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom