SWTOTW, Week 24, 2019, Part 2/2 Darth Vader's Star Destroyer

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Darth Vader's Star Destroyer:

Star.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
"Darth Vader's Star Destroyer Action Playset"... the name just trips off the tongue, doesn't it? :lol: Despite the unfeasibly long name, and the utter lack of any resemblance to what we saw on screen, this really isn't that bad a playset (and make no mistake, this IS a playset rather than a vehicle). Back in the early 80's, I had this set and liked it a lot... once I got past my vague misgivings about it looking nothing like the thing I'd seen in the film! It looked a bit funky, and the electrics in the glorified torch, sorry, meditation chamber never did work properly on my one, but it was still cool to encase Vader in his black plastic clam :-D

A couple of observations; firstly, why is the back of this thing bright blue? And secondly, what was so difficult about getting The Emperor's title correct? This playset's instructions would have you believe he was called the Grand Vizier! They even trademarked it! :lol:

Anyway, here's mine. I'd really like to upgrade this at some point as the box isn't the best, but the set is complete. Plus, as an added bonus, it gives me the perfect opportunity to wheel out the diorama photo I took years ago! :-D

What A Long Name For A Toy - 01.jpg

What A Long Name For A Toy - 02.jpg

What A Long Name For A Toy - 03.jpg

What A Long Name For A Toy - 04.jpg

What A Long Name For A Toy - 05.jpg

spoons

Grand Master
Great photos Jeremy and never knew that about the Emperor!

What do they say the hatch is for, always wondered :?:

UKS

Jedi Knight
Grand Vizier was in the original ESB script. IIRC from the making of book, he was an intermediary between the Emperor and Vader.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
"Darth Vader's Star Destroyer Action Playset"... the name just trips off the tongue, doesn't it? :lol: Despite the unfeasibly long name, and the utter lack of any resemblance to what we saw on screen, this really isn't that bad a playset (and make no mistake, this IS a playset rather than a vehicle). Back in the early 80's, I had this set and liked it a lot... once I got past my vague misgivings about it looking nothing like the thing I'd seen in the film! It looked a bit funky, and the electrics in the glorified torch, sorry, meditation chamber never did work properly on my one, but it was still cool to encase Vader in his black plastic clam :-D

A couple of observations; firstly, why is the back of this thing bright blue? And secondly, what was so difficult about getting The Emperor's title correct? This playset's instructions would have you believe he was called the Grand Vizier! They even trademarked it! :lol:

Anyway, here's mine. I'd really like to upgrade this at some point as the box isn't the best, but the set is complete. Plus, as an added bonus, it gives me the perfect opportunity to wheel out the diorama photo I took years ago! :-D

Thanks mate for sharing this awesome set, I think it looks great and I love how you display it :D I agree about the blue back, why :lol: I never read the instruction so this is the first time I read about Grand Vizier :shock: :lol:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
spoons said:

Thanks, Andy.

As for the hatch, according to the instructions (middle page in the third photo above ;-) ), it's a 'Trap Door Escape Hatch'... presumably leading to deep space! :lol:

spoons

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
As for the hatch, according to the instructions (middle page in the third photo above ;-) ), it's a 'Trap Door Escape Hatch'... presumably leading to deep space! :lol:

:lol: :lol: Excellent!

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
UKS said:
Grand Vizier was in the original ESB script. IIRC from the making of book, he was an intermediary between the Emperor and Vader.
Thanks, that's very interesting to learn, as I didn't know that. I suppose it makes sense of course, since Kenner would have started developing these toys very early on, and hence would presumably have had to use whatever reference materials were available at the time, which would necessarily have been early drafts / versions in at least some cases.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Here are my super star destroyer :lol:

Darth Vader's Star Destroyer 01.jpg

Darth Vader's Star Destroyer 02.jpg

Darth Vader's Star Destroyer 03.jpg
A nice example, Lars, and also good to see one fully assembled without figures in it. I was always slightly annoyed that the playset wouldn't fit back in its box again without either disassembling it, or deforming the box! :eek:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
spoons said:

Thanks, Andy.

:lol:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
Here are my super star destroyer :lol:

Darth Vader's Star Destroyer 01.jpg

Darth Vader's Star Destroyer 02.jpg

Darth Vader's Star Destroyer 03.jpg
A nice example, Lars, and also good to see one fully assembled without figures in it. I was always slightly annoyed that the playset wouldn't fit back in its box again without either disassembling it, or deforming the box! :eek:

Thanks mate for the kinds words :D I agree it is not great that the destroyer can't fit in the box without either disassembling it, or deforming the box :( but then again it is the same with other items, like the ewok village :( I fear the star destroyer parts will break when I have had to put it back into the box again, the same with the ewok village :( but so far nothing has been damaged :D

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Not my current Display this is in a box ATM, but here it is on Display back in 2017

Attachments

• Photo0149.jpg
    Photo0149.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 744

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:

Love the display with the figures.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
StarWarsFan said:
Snaketibe said:

I did that one and another with the Skiff (see https://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38456&start=15) many years ago when I got my first SLR camera and decided to photograph my collection. It was fun to set them all up, and even though I don't have the space (or figures!) to display every ship that way, it's nice to dig out the photos every now and then :)

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
StarWarsFan said:
Snaketibe said:

I did that one and another with the Skiff (see https://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38456&start=15) many years ago when I got my first SLR camera and decided to photograph my collection. It was fun to set them all up, and even though I don't have the space (or figures!) to display every ship that way, it's nice to dig out the photos every now and then :)

Nice one must say that is amazing.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
StarWarsFan said:
Snaketibe said:
StarWarsFan said:

Nice one must say that is amazing.
Thanks very much :)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
StarWarsFan said:
Not my current Display this is in a box ATM, but here it is on Display back in 2017

Looking great, what is going on with the stormies on the destroyer ? are they trying to Abandon Ship ? :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom