Grading and shill bidding issues that have come up

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I'm very much not a fan of grading, but if it's going to exist and be worth a damn, it HAS to be consistent, at the very least within the same grading company. To give anyone preferential treatment resulting in inconsistent grades, or to grade foreign or rarer figures less stringently than others, is to fundamentally undermine the market's confidence in their product. It amazes me that the graders are willing to do it, as they clearly can't value their reputations very highly. And of course, once they learn about these sort of antics, any buyer with any sense should steer well clear, or at the very least inspect the item carefully themselves and draw their own conclusions regarding its quality before buying it... although obviously that completely defeats the object of the thing being graded in the first place :roll:

walkie

Sith Lord
In regards to the graded DBRS mentioned above, these are the photos from the original pre-graded sale which finished on 12th May.

STAR WARS VINTAGE REBEL SOLDIER PBP NO COO DARK BROWN BODY WHITE FACE COMPLETE
eBay item number: 183800090862

Quote "THE FIGURE HAS VERY GOOD LIMBS AND BROWN PAINT, BUT IN ONE SIDE OF THE FACE HE HAS WEAR."

Just check out that last photo :shock: :shock:

mF3ZLpp.jpg

WIuWqPU.jpg

q6vqYbY.jpg

79SF5S5.jpg

lee gray

Sith Lord
I have never understood why anyone would send a lose figure with that much face damage to get graded, its just not worth it....however the fact it got an 85 instead of a 60 is mind boggling

walkie

Sith Lord
The poch x-wing luke is tricky, the mark on the rear torso is a typical trait associated with poch's sonic welding process. However the rubs to boots and hands i'd say are playwear.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
TheJabbaWookie said:
Hasn't even got his emblems

Maybe they fell off inside the case? :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's funny but it shouldn't be...

It seems strange that there has been no response from any of the grading companies as far as I'm aware.
Even if they were to acknowledged the inconsistency of some items that have been graded and why some figures are graded less severely than others, surely this would help their case and ultimately their business.
I think that the silence says it all, and they are hoping it just goes away...

walkie

Sith Lord
Mini99 said:
edd_jedi said:
TheJabbaWookie said:
Hasn't even got his emblems

It seems strange that there has been no response from any of the grading companies as far as I'm aware.
Even if they were to acknowledged the inconsistency of some items that have been graded and why some figures are graded less severely than others, surely this would help their case and ultimately their business.

The helmet emblems are very fragile on these poch figures, but they are found full or partially intact on other examples.

walkie

Sith Lord
Here's another one, sold as loose about 7 weeks ago and one of the graded items sold.

Vintage Star Wars Princess Leia Bespin Spanish Poch Graded 80% Ukg Not AFA Rare

eBay item number: 352693467336

zGmS7ni.jpg

shW65LA.jpg

9aoYIKH.jpg

9ypIMCM.jpg

nWq828Y.jpg

and graded....

vEvpldP.jpg

2t2jfGw.jpg

lISlvxy.jpg

FRomad1.jpg

walkie

Sith Lord
And another, this time the one eyebrowed luke bespin, sold loose in april…

JQRC42s.jpg

7Jrx3rW.jpg

9b35lKz.jpg

hiPDftQ.jpg

and graded 85 !!!!!....

3oIzKKm.jpg

LA8TiKH.jpg

oX0ZrGB.jpg

ZwYrOqb.jpg

Playwear and paint rubs to belt, left hand, heels of boots, back of head. Also missing one eyebrow, and has a small cut on the top left pocket.

Believe me there are plenty of these out there mint!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Mini99 said:

Grading companies never acknowledge anything publicly (maybe with the excpetion of CAS who have a good front man in Ross) as admitting to mistakes simply undermines their business.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
Mini99 said:

Grading companies never acknowledge anything publicly (maybe with the excpetion of CAS who have a good front man in Ross) as admitting to mistakes simply undermines their business.
Good point.

olisuds

Sith Lord
As much as I dislike it shill bidding happens everywhere. Despite eBay saying it's not allowed, they don't really do anything about preventing it. And do people realise that most auction houses including Vectis even allow it!? If not, then read their terms. If you expect there is always a chance of this happening and just bid what you are prepared to pay then you won't get stung. Anyone with a "whatever it takes" attitude is taking big risks of over paying.

I have long thought that there is some very suspicious over grading for some of the bigger UKG and AFA customers. At the last echo I discussed with a fellow collector that we were amazed by some of the high UKG grades with very obvious paint rubs.

As for CAS we'll a few years back I recall them being slated for giving a DT sabre with pieces missing an 80 grade. Not to mention the owners: Ken Black and the Sellersville Auction fraud; Todd DeMartino and the Saga Museum book order that never eventuated more than a decade later and one of the other officers being a major toy dealer who sells graded high end figures himself.

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
walkie said:
Mini99 said:
edd_jedi said:

The helmet emblems are very fragile on these poch figures, but they are found full or partially intact on other examples.

I'm no expert in this area, but is it possible to pop the base off and substitute the same type of figure just a less valuable example and glue back on with little sign of tampering ???? as these grading's seem mad even given the exceptions for certain types of factory processes.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
bosk70 said:
I'm no expert in this area, but is it possible to pop the base off and substitute the same type of figure just a less valuable example and glue back on with little sign of tampering ???? as these grading's seem mad even given the exceptions for certain types of factory processes.

I don't own any UKG graded loose figures but a couple of people on Facebook said they are not that hard to open without damaging the cases. I have opened several AFA and UKG MOC cases over the years, and TBH it wasn't that easy without causing damage.

indianawars

Sith Lord
I've dipped my toe in the world of grading but soon retracted it because of inconsistent grades.
I've managed to release several figures from their graded tombs with minimal damage to the outer casing, but you do need to snap some of the acrylic pegs holding the figure in place to free them up for removal. Not so sure about MOC's?

This is probably the only statement from UKG referring to the toy Toni scandal way back in 2014 in an email I had in regards to a biker scout MOC I sent in. So I guess they knew they screwed up but still never publically acknowledged it.

Toni.png

If people enjoy collecting graded items and it brings them enjoyment, then that's what it's all about! And they do look lovely on display.
I just don't like the idea of favouritism which has a knock on effect for people collecting true grades.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom