Star Wars 4K77 - Wow

Status
Not open for further replies.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I've known about this for a while but only just got around to downloading it (because it's over 50GB!) In case you haven't heard of it, it's a scan of an original Star Wars 35mm reel at 4K resolution. Obviously this means no **** Special Edition "features." The level of detail is insane, even compared to the Despecialized versions I've been watching for the last 5 years, this looks incredible. This camera phone picture won't do it justice, but gives you an idea of the detail. The only slight problem is you can see how home-made everything looks :lol:

If you want to find out more head here:

http://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com/page/Project-4K77

For obvious reasons there is no direct download but you can find it easily enough on Google (just search for 4K77.) They have also done Return of the Jedi and are working on Empire now :) as it seems Disney have no intention of giving the fans what they want, if you have a 4K TV I highly recommend checking these out.

IMG_8048.jpg

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
it really is something. I recommend people grab the DNR version. For non videophiles, this means some Digital Noise Removal and a bit of sharpening has been tastefully added. The version without this was a bit grainy even for my usually purist tastes.

Also, for those without 4k tellies, 1080p versions have been created too.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Spookedhippie said:
Presumably only way to watch it is through a laptop into the tv?!

I use Plex:

https://www.plex.tv/

Which means I don't need to have the computer physically connected to my TV, it streams it over the wi-fi.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Finally got around to watching Star Wars last night. Wow, it blew me away. I was half expecting the extra detail to spoil some of the special effects, and yes in places for example you can see fingerprints on Vader's helmet, and some of the sets look painted etc, but what really blew me away was just how good and believable almost everything looked, especially the space battles. I still cannot believe this film was made in the 70s, it looks better than anything pre-2000 and even gives the newer Disney Star Wars films a run for their money.

Another surprising thing was how much better this version is than the SE. I have watched both so many times over the years they had kind of blended in to one and I'd forgotten which bits were new and old, so some of the scenes in this really amazed me, eg the scene where the X Wings approach the Death Star. How the f**k did they do that in 1976?!

Anyway, in summary, you need to see this!

jedi_mister

Jedi Knight
I've recently had my garage converted in to a home cinema and the 4K77 version was the first film I watched in it :)

IMG_5795 - Copy.JPG

IMG_5800 - Copy.JPG

IMG_5806 - Copy.JPG

jedi_mister

Jedi Knight
Also, thanks for the heads up on the 4K83 (ROTJ UHD Edition) Edd. I wasn't aware of that and only had Harmy's Despecialized Edition.

Have just starting downloading ROTJ UHD Edition now :D

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
jedi_mister said:
I've recently had my garage converted in to a home cinema and the 4K77 version was the first film I watched in it :)

IMG_5795 - Copy.JPG
IMG_5800 - Copy.JPG
IMG_5806 - Copy.JPG
:shock: wow

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I was previously unable to download this as my old PC did not have enough free disk space. However, I now have a nice shiny new PC and disk space is no longer an issue. I did previously have a working Mega link to download these, but I have just tried that link again today and sadly it no longer works :cry:

Please could some kind person PM me a link to download these (the DNR ones if possible, please), or else would someone be willing to copy them onto a memory stick for me if I sent you a brand new one? For the record, I have also tried Googling this today, but it has has left me a little confused and no nearer to downloading them.

If anyone can help, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
jedi_mister said:
Do you have a myspleen account ?

I used to, however I have just tried my user name and password and they do not work, and it won't let me reset my password either as it claims my user name does not exist, so I'm guessing my account has been deactivated for some reason (to be fair, I haven't used it for years, so perhaps that's why) :-(

jedi_mister

Jedi Knight
If you're able to re-register then I'm seeding both SW and ROTJ 4K's on there. I can't send you an invite as they've closed invites.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
jedi_mister said:
If you're able to re-register then I'm seeding both SW and ROTJ 4K's on there. I can't send you an invite as they've closed invites.

Thanks, but I've read this morning that MySpleen is not currently accepting new members, and certainly the main MySpleen page gives no method of re-registering. However if you know of one, please let me know as it would be useful to have an active MySpleen account once again.

As for the films, I have however now kindly been sent a link which will hopefully allow me to obtain them via another method, so fingers crossed that works!

Thanks again for the offer though.

MarkF

Covid-19 is the modern plague but it is amazing the things that you stumble upon when you have nothing else to do in lockdown. First watch a few YT vids talking about the Despecialized version and then that led me to 4K77 and from what I have seen of the teasers for 4K77 it looks amazing. Can anyone assist me in tracking down a copy please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom