East Bristol Auctions

UKS

Jedi Knight
The stuff I got wasn't complete (obviously so) but was "seems complete".

That's how auctions work though. It's why one needs to go see it in person. And not rely on any point of view of anyone else.

Caveat Emptor. ☹️

UKS

TK-7785

Jedi Master
As Simon says, East Bristol aren't the only shysters in the game but they're certainly in the running for top slot. Unfortunately with auction houses we don't have the kind of buyer protection that you do with ebay or Paypal. I see a lot of people who get caught like this when they're new to using auction houses. Even when dealing with those houses that have a much better reputation I still err on the side of caution with condition, completeness etc and bid accordingly. It means I don't win as many lots as I used to but I also haven't been hoodwinked in while either.

Stick the bastards on your black list and spread the word. I hope TS have enough complaints with which to take some action against them some day, but in the meantime we can only really vote with out wallets.

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
UKS said:
The stuff I got wasn't complete (obviously so) but was "seems complete".

That's how auctions work though. It's why one needs to go see it in person. And not rely on any point of view of anyone else.

Caveat Emptor. ☹️

UKS

I never rely completely, however when a question about condition has been asked, you would expect a truthful answer back.
And that should carry a bit of weight if there is an issue.
However if you read the auction houses conditions once you bid that is it.
An exapmle could be attending the auction in person, viewing the item, and the porters or whatever they are called dropping it and damaging it out of your view.

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
Just rang again, as had no reply from yesterday, and spoke to a nicer man who deals with records.
Certainly more approachable, and can see my point of view, and agrees with me, although sadly not his department.

Rich200

Padawan
Having a bad experience with this auction house myself. Purchased two mocs in their last auction which were damaged in the post.

In both cases the figure has bashed against the bubble causing it to crack. First moc the figure head has cracked the top of the bubble and the second moc the bubble is severely cracked at the btm. and to the face of the bubble. They made a reasonable attempt to package them and did use a star case, however no protection was provided around the bubble. This has all been accepted by them and they are putting it down to a "freak accident". Whilst i appreciate this can happen i am very disappointed that there packaging was not better.

After some back and forth they have offered a partial refund, unfortunately it's not at a level i would accept. They have also refused a full refund.

Not really sure where i go from here. I could fight it legally and try to recover payment but expect this will just get me more frustrated and result in a similar inadequate partial refund and no refund option. Has anyone else had a similar experience with an auction house for items damaged in transit ? Should i just accept it and move on or is it worth a fight ?

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Rich200 said:
Having a bad experience with this auction house myself. Purchased two mocs in their last auction which were damaged in the post.

In both cases the figure has bashed against the bubble causing it to crack. First moc the figure head has cracked the top of the bubble and the second moc the bubble is severely cracked at the btm. and to the face of the bubble. They made a reasonable attempt to package them and did use a star case, however no protection was provided around the bubble. This has all been accepted by them and they are putting it down to a "freak accident". Whilst i appreciate this can happen i am very disappointed that there packaging was not better.

After some back and forth they have offered a partial refund, unfortunately it's not at a level i would accept. They have also refused a full refund.

Not really sure where i go from here. I could fight it legally and try to recover payment but expect this will just get me more frustrated and result in a similar inadequate partial refund and no refund option. Has anyone else had a similar experience with an auction house for items damaged in transit ? Should i just accept it and move on or is it worth a fight ?

This is a bit of a bitter pill to swallow but the reality is, even with those auction houses who regularly deal with vintage toys and Star Wars in particular, don't really understand how to package a MOC to properly protect them against cracking and lifting bubbles. Most collectors still fail to take their packaging far enough. Star Cases are fine to a point and offer some protection against outward crushing but do little to nothing on their own to prevent bubble damage from within due to hard knocks.

My advice, if you haven't already done so is to make a claim through the postal service or courier it was sent through. It hasn't arrived in the condition in which it was purchased it should be covered. That is assuming East Bristol Auctions sent it with appropriate cover against loss or damage?

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Did you pay via your credit card?
If so is it worth giving them a phone and explaining the situation?

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
Mini99 said:
Did you pay via your credit card?
If so is it worth giving them a phone and explaining the situation?

Sorry I didn't realise others had posted on this.

I don't think I would have had a charge back with the bank due to the auction house sale conditions.
And if I remember rightly ,they don't take CC only debit, due to fees.
If auction houses want to sell over the internet, the regulations should be changed to include distance of sales, like on Ebay.
But as advised by salesroom- always ask for more clearer pictures.
Although if it goes wrong don't expect too much help as they are not interested . They get too much commission.
Bristol did eventually offer to re auction the items with no charge, via Evan McPherson who is one of the directors, but I certainly would have been out of pocket on the one which has a bloody big crack to the bubble, and to be honest I don't ever want to deal with them ever again.
And I don't think I'm the only one, from some of the comments on here.
Paul

But Rich200 I would certainly try and claim off postal insurance, as I have a bad feeling that my crack :lol: would have been blamed on the post.
If items are not covered for the cost that is Bristol's problem .As they should have told you that cheap postage would be under insured.
And if you bought via salesroom complain to them, just incase anything is logged.

lejackal

Grand Master
Rich200 said:

Do a charge back if you paid by credit card, failing that take them to the small claims court. The costs are minimal and if they have already admitted liability to you then you will win hands down imo

Plus you can do it online

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
Rich200, have they not mentioned claiming on the couriers insurance, or given a reason why they / you can't?
As logically, if they reimburse you, via a courier claim everything should work out fine. And it shouldn't cost them anything. But for a refund off themselves, they would now have the damaged item ( returned ? ) on their hands.
The seller wants his money, as item sold, (but they probably haven't settled with him yet), so will have to claim off their own company's insurance for damages incurred in their possession .
Seller is not going to accept damaged property back.... and this is the reluctance on the auction house, and perhaps items were not insured for the full value to start with.
Does anyone actually know who has previously sold via auction houses ,who is responsible if they get damaged in house ?
Or does the seller sign a disclaimer ?

Paul

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom