New retroline.......

Dantooine

Padawan
Darth Bobby said:
My game arrived and I've opened it up. Can't believe how bad the Tarkin MOC is, flimsy card, badly printed and the information leaflet crammed in the bottom. A real shame as the game and box are lovely. Cancelled my order for the other 6, was really looking forward to getting them but the card is so bad. I think I'm done with modern Star Wars, it's just more clutter.

Yep, I was on the fence but also just cancelled. I think I'll pick up a Leia and Luke at some point, and if they continue with these I'll just get a few that I really want. It was the large head Han that did it, and the quality, and the card stock...

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Fixed it! Now that's what I'm Tarkin about....

0F6D49AA-9B60-4781-9679-8D58B7D2C906.jpeg

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
jayums said:
I picked up a few of the UK versions and my cards
even have tiny marks on the image that the import version doesn't have (Must be a printing issue as identical). Regardless they really are a bit ****. The figure is decent though. I'm trying to cancel my pre-order for the other six too, but haven't heard back yet. Feel a bit sorry for the seller as suspect quite a lot of people won't want them with the silly info sheet inside the bubble.

Conversely I picked up one of those funky SDCC prototype Vaders. Didn't really want it all that much from the pics online, but in hand, the card is lovely. Feels like a premium product in terms of packaging. It's a real shame they didn't make the retro collection with the same care.

Yeah I feel bad for the seller too... but the product is really poor quality. I'm sure they'll sell them eventually but collectors won't want them.

Dantooine

Padawan
I wonder if there's a way to cut a "U" shape from the back of the card to pull that leaflet out. I might give it a try.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Dantooine said:
I wonder if there's a way to cut a "U" shape from the back of the card to pull that leaflet out. I might give it a try.

Yeah I was thinking that. Kind of defeats the idea of a mint on card but it would look better.

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
With the issue of the paper in the bubble, I'm tempted to get a US import instead. However, they have a 'Choking Hazard' warning in the top right corner, which partly obstructs the Luke & Leia graphic. The European card doesn't have this, and looks much better in that respect.

Does anyone know whether the 'Choking Hazard' is a sticker, or printed on the card, please?

US version:
62A642D9-9D3C-40FE-AB34-8000AEB75F61.jpeg

jayums

Jedi Master
AndyPreston said:
With the issue of the paper in the bubble, I'm tempted to get a US import instead. However, they have a 'Choking Hazard' warning in the top right corner, which partly obstructs the Luke & Leia graphic. The European card doesn't have this, and looks much better in that respect.

Does anyone know whether the 'Choking Hazard' is a sticker, or printed on the card, please?

US version:
62A642D9-9D3C-40FE-AB34-8000AEB75F61.jpeg

Only just noticed that some of the import retro collection don't have the crappy printed warning in the corner. My Luke one didn't (see photo)

Edit: Luke and Vader ones only ... Guess kids can't choke on light sabers!!

Attachments

• D8FECBCD-F4D5-4A40-9662-6F8D267C0E62.jpeg
    D8FECBCD-F4D5-4A40-9662-6F8D267C0E62.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 1,173

Alisdairmac

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Darth Bobby said:
jayums said:
I picked up a few of the UK versions and my cards
even have tiny marks on the image that the import version doesn't have (Must be a printing issue as identical). Regardless they really are a bit ****. The figure is decent though. I'm trying to cancel my pre-order for the other six too, but haven't heard back yet. Feel a bit sorry for the seller as suspect quite a lot of people won't want them with the silly info sheet inside the bubble.

Conversely I picked up one of those funky SDCC prototype Vaders. Didn't really want it all that much from the pics online, but in hand, the card is lovely. Feels like a premium product in terms of packaging. It's a real shame they didn't make the retro collection with the same care.

Yeah I feel bad for the seller too... but the product is really poor quality. I'm sure they'll sell them eventually but collectors won't want them.
I cancelled my order as well. Feel slightly bad for the seller as you say

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Mine arrived today... in a sealed "shipping case"! The collector in me can't bring myself to open it :oops:

grinchy

Sith Lord
Mine came to, I opened the shipper :D
the paper insert doesn't look to bad in hand its tucked behind the figure, well at least on the set of six it is,
eAqK9Hql.jpg

take a look at tarkins!
M9KMrLLl.jpg

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
The printed edge wear really does spoil them, such a shame! It's ironic that they did so little research that they didn't know collecotrs of old toys LOVE them to be mint

jayums

Jedi Master
edd_jedi said:
The printed edge wear really does spoil them, such a shame! It's ironic that they did so little research that they didn't know collecotrs of old toys LOVE them to be mint

Hasbro will probably release them again in a few years on mint $$$$$$$

Crumm

Padawan
I was really stoked for these when I first saw the U.S. versions.

I was on the fence as to whether I should cancel the order when I saw the European versions, I now know I made the right choice by cancelling, they look hideous.

I just don't understand why they would run a MOC retro line, and then shove a horrible scrap of folded paper in with the figure, I think it totally wrecks the whole asthetic of the thing.

They should have added the information in a small corner on the back of the card. I know that would need to be done for each country language, but so what?

The world has gone mad!

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Followed Andy Preston's example. Had to remove the leaflet though!

First, used a hair dryer to carefully remove the sticker.

Then, very slowly and carefully opened the bubble carefully from the bottom middle up the left-hand edge. There was enough room to remove the leaflet and inner tray.

I then made a footer and resealed with clear PVA and a small paint brush. Weighted the edges down with heavy books overnight.

Next, I used a Stanley knife to remove the Palitoy logo from a beater card back. Carefully peeled of the lithograph layer and glued with clear PVA.

Quite happy with the results. No way I could live with that leaflet!
20191021_175954.jpg

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Cazza said:
Followed Andy Preston's example. Had to remove the leaflet though!

First, used a hair dryer to carefully remove the sticker.

Then, very slowly and carefully opened the bubble carefully from the bottom middle up the left-hand edge. There was enough room to remove the leaflet and inner tray.

I then made a footer and resealed with clear PVA and a small paint brush. Weighted the edges down with heavy books overnight.

Next, I used a Stanley knife to remove the Palitoy logo from a beater card back. Carefully peeled of the lithograph layer and glued with clear PVA.

Quite happy with the results. No way I could live with that leaflet!
20191021_175954.jpg

Nicely done, mate! Looks a million times better. Now just need to take a black marker to tidy up the edges and you're set. :wink:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom