SWTOTW, Week 33, 2019, Part 2/2 Darth Vader

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Darth Vader:

01.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
So it's finally time for the Dark Lord of the Sith, is it Lars? :)

As I have mentioned many times previously (apologies for the repetition and also the repetition... wot? :D ), what appeals to me personally with loose figure variants are ones which are visually different from one another. There are a lot of Darth Vader variants to be had, but not very many of them are different enough to interest me. However, the exception for me has always been the Takara variant.

As many of you will know, when Star Wars figures first came out in the 70's, for some strange reason in Japan, Takara (the company with the toy license there), made their own unique sculpts of the Stormtrooper, C-3PO and Darth Vader figures. They are all very close to their Kenner counterparts, but they are all also completely unique sculpts, with different bodies and heads. There are many small differences to be found between them, however the most obvious one is the fact that unlike the sonic-welded Kenner figures, the 3 Takara sculpts are held together by a screw in the centre of their backs. And this leads to a problem, because whilst this is very easy to spot on the Stormtrooper and C-3PO figures, Darth Vader's cape completely covers the screw, and since for added difficulty the Takara Vader sculpt is also the closest to its Kenner counterpart out of the three Takara figures, it can make spotting a Takara Vader figure extremely difficult. Add to that the fact that the unique Takara sculpt was only released in Japan, and only saw a limited release even there before being replaced by the Kenner sculpt, and it means the Takara Vader can be an extremely tough variant to track down!

The Japanese sculptors did a very good job of copying the Kenner version, but it isn't a perfect copy, so what are the differences between the Kenner and Takara Darth Vaders apart from the obscured screw? Well for starters, the Takara version is a fraction shorter. It also has a slightly more rounded top to its helmet, and the figure generally has a slightly more shiny finish (at least when new) to the black plastic. Also the cape is very stiff with a smooth inside and a rough textured outside. Lastly, the COO clearly reads 'JAPAN'.

Anyway, here are my two loose ones. In all photos, the Takara variant is on the right. Perhaps it's the black plastic, or maybe my camera, but photographing the surface details of the figures can be quite tricky, so I have included multiple shots in some cases.

Lastly, I also have a Palitoy 12-back reseal.

Where's My Inhaler - 01.jpg

Where's My Inhaler - 02.jpg

Where's My Inhaler - 03.jpg

Where's My Inhaler - 04.jpg

Where's My Inhaler - 05.jpg

Where's My Inhaler - 06.jpg

Where's My Inhaler - 07.jpg

Where's My Inhaler - 08.jpg

Where's My Inhaler - 09.jpg

Where's My Inhaler - 10.jpg

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Really nice Palitoy Vader. 8)
Great figure and an appealing card back, the yellow behind the figure really does "pop" against the black figure.
Looking for a Star Wars one to complete the card back run.

6C0F2CB4-C9FA-4E77-9873-EADFE1C85BAF.jpeg

62BF3401-6591-4ECB-8EBF-4039CC6824E2.jpeg

F4FDF09E-821D-45D5-953B-06DAF42DD9AD.jpeg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Mini99 said:
Great figure and an appealing card back, the yellow behind the figure really does "pop" against the black figure.

Thank you. Those are three really nice MOCs in return! :)

spoons

Grand Master
A good selection of Vaders chaps, here's my two pack to compliment them. I've had this for 10 years or so and it still has to be one of my favourite items in my collection

ROTJ 2 pack Darth Vader Han Hoth front_zpse5eiu2zf.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
spoons said:
A good selection of Vaders chaps, here's my two pack to compliment them. I've had this for 10 years or so and it still has to be one of my favourite items in my collection

What a terrific 2-pack! Thanks for sharing it :)

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
spoons said:

I have never seen a two pack in that sort of condition, amazing....and with two main characters!

spoons

Grand Master
Thanks both, it is a beauty. The only issue is the tip of Vader's saver has snapped off and is stuck in his cape.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Here are mine:
L-R: Hong Kong CoO; Blank Raised Bar; PBP (smooth cape); PBP (textured cape with one side smooth matt); PBP (textured cape with one side shiny

Attachments

• 98C4FAD3-BB21-407C-BA41-18ACC8572231.jpeg
    98C4FAD3-BB21-407C-BA41-18ACC8572231.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 1,028
  • EA7D580F-BD00-43A0-9AD2-C81F11C25BB9.jpeg
    EA7D580F-BD00-43A0-9AD2-C81F11C25BB9.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,027
  • 3A75079F-1FC1-4048-952E-2CE38B13877F.jpeg
    3A75079F-1FC1-4048-952E-2CE38B13877F.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 1,028

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
TheJabbaWookie said:
Here are mine:
L-R: Hong Kong CoO; Blank Raised Bar; PBP (smooth cape); PBP (textured cape with one side smooth matt); PBP (textured cape with one side shiny
Nice collection with lots of PBP goodness :)

Thanks for sharing.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:

As I have mentioned many times previously (apologies for the repetition and also the repetition... wot? :D ), what appeals to me personally with loose figure variants are ones which are visually different from one another. There are a lot of Darth Vader variants to be had, but not very many of them are different enough to interest me. However, the exception for me has always been the Takara variant.

As many of you will know, when Star Wars figures first came out in the 70's, for some strange reason in Japan, Takara (the company with the toy license there), made their own unique sculpts of the Stormtrooper, C-3PO and Darth Vader figures. They are all very close to their Kenner counterparts, but they are all also completely unique sculpts, with different bodies and heads. There are many small differences to be found between them, however the most obvious one is the fact that unlike the sonic-welded Kenner figures, the 3 Takara sculpts are held together by a screw in the centre of their backs. And this leads to a problem, because whilst this is very easy to spot on the Stormtrooper and C-3PO figures, Darth Vader's cape completely covers the screw, and since for added difficulty the Takara Vader sculpt is also the closest to its Kenner counterpart out of the three Takara figures, it can make spotting a Takara Vader figure extremely difficult. Add to that the fact that the unique Takara sculpt was only released in Japan, and only saw a limited release even there before being replaced by the Kenner sculpt, and it means the Takara Vader can be an extremely tough variant to track down!

The Japanese sculptors did a very good job of copying the Kenner version, but it isn't a perfect copy, so what are the differences between the Kenner and Takara Darth Vaders apart from the obscured screw? Well for starters, the Takara version is a fraction shorter. It also has a slightly more rounded top to its helmet, and the figure generally has a slightly more shiny finish (at least when new) to the black plastic. Also the cape is very stiff with a smooth inside and a rough textured outside. Lastly, the COO clearly reads 'JAPAN'.

Anyway, here are my two loose ones. In all photos, the Takara variant is on the right. Perhaps it's the black plastic, or maybe my camera, but photographing the surface details of the figures can be quite tricky, so I have included multiple shots in some cases.

Lastly, I also have a Palitoy 12-back reseal.

Where's My Inhaler - 01.jpg

Where's My Inhaler - 02.jpg

Where's My Inhaler - 03.jpg

Where's My Inhaler - 04.jpg

Where's My Inhaler - 05.jpg

Where's My Inhaler - 06.jpg

Where's My Inhaler - 07.jpg

Where's My Inhaler - 08.jpg

Where's My Inhaler - 09.jpg

Where's My Inhaler - 10.jpg

As always thanks for the great info about variants and this time a lot of great info about the vader takara figure. 2 beautiful variants that you have and a fantastic reaseal with the awesome palitoy logo on the card :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Mini99 said:

wow nice lot of moc, one the best cardbacks for me in the star wars line is darth vader cardback 8)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
spoons said:

Wow nice moc 2 pack, I do not see many 2 pack, it must be very rare 8)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
Here are mine:

Thanks mate, now I only need to turn my computer screen 180 degrees so I can see the picture correct :lol:

Lovely army of vader variants, cool that we can really see the color difference in the lightsabers, some are more red and others are more orange 8)
Thanks for sharing your fantastic collection :D

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:

As always thanks for the great info about variants and this time a lot of great info about the vader takara figure. 2 beautiful variants that you have and a fantastic reaseal with the awesome palitoy logo on the card :D

Thank you and you're welcome :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom