SWFUK

New TROS/Legacy Trailer!

Discuss all Star Wars films here - the original trilogy, prequel trilogy and the new Disney films.
Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: New TROS/Legacy Trailer!

Postby Cazza » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:13 pm

Guys, I was calling the guy who made the video a snowflake, not you. Incel was too strong and I apologise unreservedly for the offence caused- definitely heat of the moment.

However, I am getting sick to the back teeth of the constant negativity aimed at Star Wars at the moment. There is so much to look forward to at the moment, yet people are constantly pissing on everyone else's chips. The youtubers who constantly churn out these videos that are chock full of lies and negativity are a nightmare! Just take a look at Geeks and Gamers... sheesh! Turn on youtube and it's just full of this stuff- pretty depressing really. I'm not gonna say 'It's just a film' because these films mean so much more to us and yes, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but the negativity from certain quarters is starting to take the enjoyment out of it all. It's unavoidable, because they are so vocal and relentless. It's not just SW, Marvel has suffered a lot of this as well, especially Captain Marvel.

So, I wasn't personally having a go at you fellas, i was really peed off with seeing yet another crazy negative video about something I'm really looking forward to, trotting out all the cliche'd Mary Sue stuff etc.
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

Clarkspie&chips
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Clarkspie&chips » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:34 pm

Sorry to hear how much it’s pissed you off Andy, try not to get too down though. I think there’s a huge amount of positivity in the scene, just not for the sequels.
I’m more excited for the mandalorian than I was before TFA came out. Then there’s the Cassian and the newly announced Obi Wan series so there’s heaps to be excited about.

I think most people were pretty happy with Solo and nearly everyone I know thinks Rogue One was the best film since Jedi. It really is only the sequels and I’m sure you’ll agree, that do have issues. It’s just whether you can get over them or not.

So chin up mate, it’s one of the best times to be a Star Wars fan

Snaketibe
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Snaketibe » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:37 pm

Cazza wrote:Guys, I was calling the guy who made the video a snowflake, not you. Incel was too strong and I apologise unreservedly for the offence caused- definitely heat of the moment.

However, I am getting sick to the back teeth of the constant negativity aimed at Star Wars at the moment. There is so much to look forward to at the moment, yet people are constantly pissing on everyone else's chips. The youtubers who constantly churn out these videos that are chock full of lies and negativity are a nightmare! Just take a look at Geeks and Gamers... sheesh! Turn on youtube and it's just full of this stuff- pretty depressing really. I'm not gonna say 'It's just a film' because these films mean so much more to us and yes, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but the negativity from certain quarters is starting to take the enjoyment out of it all. It's unavoidable, because they are so vocal and relentless. It's not just SW, Marvel has suffered a lot of this as well, especially Captain Marvel.

So, I wasn't personally having a go at you fellas, i was really peed off with seeing yet another crazy negative video about something I'm really looking forward to, trotting out all the cliche'd Mary Sue stuff etc.

Hi Cazza,

Thank you for the response, and well done for taking back the incel comment.

I fully appreciate that many people, including you obviously, are stoked about the new film coming out, and I really hope you enjoy it. Hell, I really hope the film is an absolute knockout! I have no plans on seeing it myself because I really didn't like the last one and the direction it took the sequels in. However, the one thing which would make me change my mind and go to see it is if the film is very well received by the majority of fans (I care not at all for 'proper' film critics' opinions) and especially by those fans that didn't like TLJ. If they generally love it, I'll give it a go. If not, I won't, since, as a massive Star Wars fan, I really, really hated being so disappointed coming out of the cinema after seeing TLJ and I don't want to put myself through that again :-(

I agree that there's a lot of negativity out there (and yes, perhaps too much), and I by no means agree with all of it, but I also feel a lot of the criticisms of TLJ have merit in my eyes. But I also recognise that my views are my own only and others may differ. However, just because others may not like it is no reason not to enjoy it yourself, so I hope you do, and I can only recommend that you ignore any negativity you don't agree with.

Thanks.

Jeremy

Twin30mm
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Twin30mm » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:24 pm

Mate, as much as you're pissed off with the negativity, I'm equally up to my tits with the constant putting down of anybody who dares not tow the party line, regarding the ST.

My only beef is with the ST and Lucasfilms/Disneys reaction to fans critiques.
I loved Rogue One and thought Solo was a decent effort despite the BTS problems.
Equally, I can't wait for The Mandalorian, Obi-Wan series and The Clone Wars new season.

I just happen to think they've made a complete pigs ear out of the ST (especially TLJ).
It deeply saddens me, as they had one chance and now there is no going back.
If you love it, more power to you. I really have no problem with that. I honestly wish I was the same.

Apologies for the language used, but your post really pushed my button.
I think the problem is all legitimate dislikers seem to have been tarred with the same brush.
If you have problems with the ST's direction you're labelled as a racist, misogynist etc. etc.
Yes, there are some complete knob-heads out there, but the vast majority are fans with legitimate concerns.

Rather than accepting that some fans aren't particularly happy with the ST, Lucasfilm/Disney double-down on the name-calling.
Step forward Rian Johnson, Pablo Hidalgo et al. It's a vicious circle.

Much like Brie Larson with Cpt. Marvel, they seem to revel in kicking the hornets nest.
If they would've just keep their mouths shut, I don't think things would have got as bad as they have.

I hope TROS is everything you want it to be and is a fitting end to the Skywalker saga.

Jon

Dantooine
Regular
Regular

Postby Dantooine » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:07 pm

The reason there is negativity around Star Wars at the moment is that the films aren't very good. If they were, all the other stuff wouldn't matter. Write great characters and give them interesting things to do in the Star Wars universe. It seems like a no brainer but it's obviously very difficult. Lucas (I think) took the wrong path with the Prequels and Disney made a huge mistake not sticking to a 3 film narrative. Rian Johnson made a crap film, but really its Disney and Lucasfilm that should've known better.

I'd love The Rise of Skywalker to be great. Doesn't everyone who is a bit "meh" about this film. But I don't think Abrams is a particularly good filmmaker. His whole "mystery box" style of narrative backfired with Rian Johnson ignoring TFA. So we have a conclusion to two films that seem to be heading in two different directions. Does any of it matter?

The Mandalorian looks like the best thing to have the Star Wars name since 1983. Hopefully the Obi Wan series will also be good (pretty sure it's shooting in the UK, unlike The Mandalorian which was shot in the US).

theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby theforceuk » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:44 pm

Exciting!!!!!! :D
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

grinchy
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grinchy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:23 am

I'm glad its inspires such passion among the fans, glad you guys sorted it out, I've been a fan of the new movies, I thought last jedi was great, but I did get a tang of regret that our main OT Cast didn't get to come together again for one last hurrah,sad but that ship has sailed.
this new movie looks like they are chucking loads into the mix, looks a bit mad but i'm game for it, fingers crossed its great
I wonder if they are going to have a bit of a break after this movies wise? let the dust settle
IF I WOKE UP TOMMOROW WITH MY HEAD SEWN TO THE CARPET I WOULDN'T BE MORE SURPRISED THAN I AM NOW
YOU SIT ON A THRONE OF LIES!

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Cazza » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:22 am

Was looking again at the opening montage. Like Ian mentioned earlier, it may have been more logical to start with TPM and work through, but I get why they did it like this.

There's a little less than half a minute of ANH, ten seconds of ESB, five seconds of ROTJ (just three shots), about five seconds of TPM (three shots), three seconds of AOTC (just two shots), 3-4 seconds of ROTS (three shots), followed by about 17 seconds of the ST, with roughly five of those from TLJ and the rest from TFA.

That makes the list: ANH, wide gap, TFA, ESB, gap, the group of ROTJ, TPM and TLJ, followed by ROTS and AOTC. In terms of scenes, TLJ jumps up a bit.
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

f1982
New User
New User

Postby f1982 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:20 pm

grinchy wrote:I'm glad its inspires such passion among the fans, glad you guys sorted it out, I've been a fan of the new movies, I thought last jedi was great, but I did get a tang of regret that our main OT Cast didn't get to come together again for one last hurrah,sad but that ship has sailed.
this new movie looks like they are chucking loads into the mix, looks a bit mad but i'm game for it, fingers crossed its great
I wonder if they are going to have a bit of a break after this movies wise? let the dust settle

I'm on the positive train too regarding the new movies. To me, if they played it too close to the old films then they'd just be rehashing the same story without it going in new directions or deliberately not treading on the toes of the old films to keep the old fans happy. Yes there is some sloppy writing and i'm still not sure what the hell Disney were thinking if it's indeed true that Johnson was given free reign to do whatever he wanted with TLJ, because how the hell do you write a 3 part story if the middle part doesn't push the story in a very specific way between parts 1 and 3? So i'm not yet convinced the stuff that people have a problem with in TLJ they will continue to have a problem with once we get TROS.

And I agree it looks like they're throwing a lot at this film, and i'm glad if they do. Because this film not only has to wrap up both a 3 part and a 9 part story, ideally with some interesting stuff that makes you think differently about the older films, but also has to open the SW universe up for the next trilogy incorporating much more canon so far not explored in the films, and any other stories they're planning. I also hope they don't take a break. What they start here in terms of new directions need some momentum, and there will be appetite for it.

weasel
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby weasel » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:07 am

Hard to judge that as a lot is rehashed from the others and trailers are always designed to make things look good even when they are turd. I'll reserve judgement. It doesn't look bad, but there isn't a huge amount of new stuff in it so it's hard to say for sure.

Twin30mm wrote:The OT/PT montage only seemed to highlight the gulf in quality between the old and new story/characters.
Very telling that there was only a couple of TLJ scenes shown in the montage.

Granted some of the visuals were good, e.g. the Death Star wreckage fight.
Also nice to see the classic spaceships back, B-Wings Y-Wings etc.

I hope to God, the time travel rumours aren't true. I just don't think this sits well in the SW universe.
Also looks like we're getting an evil Threepio as comedy relief (much like AOTC), sweet Jesus. :roll:

Sums up my sentiments quite well.

f1982 wrote:To me, the 'dark Rey' makes most sense if it fits with the 'Rey is a clone' theory and what we saw was not actually Rey.

I actually took that to be a sort of premonition. The kind Luke had on Dogobah when he fought 'Vader'/himself as Vader. I thought that was the Emperor or whoever showing Rey what she could become if she turned. Could be wrong mind.
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby theforceuk » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:38 pm

If time travelling is in Episode 9 then that will be the worst idea ever. As soon as you add time travel to Star Wars, everything is pointless. If they want Vader and the Emperor in a Star Wars film, just make a spin off.
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

lejackal
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby lejackal » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:52 pm

I’ve not read this thread since it’s inception but it perfectly demonstrates the main problems in fandom currently, we all no Rey is fit, TLJ is shit, Mike Smith is a Poet and Cazza is bang tidy so why get all rowdy?

Honestly, if you’re getting that pissy over a fucking film and the associated opinions your life must either be so amazingly perfect that you’re bored or so shit that you need a space to vent.

If your life is amazing go and enjoy it, if its shit go and fix it.

If you want to skate each other and your opinions about a film that no one has seen then you probably need to have a little think about your priorities

gammoguard
Regular
Regular

Postby gammoguard » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:18 pm

Personally I’m really looking forward to the new film coming out (to my family there’s no surprises there). Reason: I’m Star Wars nuts !!.
It’s was always going to be difficult to write for just one film but to write a story over 9-10 movies with other people writing chapters too it must be a bloody nightmare. I’ve had mates tell me that previous films were crap but I didn’t think any different of them....they’re no longer my mates but I don’t think any different of them :wink: :lol:.
Seriously tho, I think the most worry is coming from whether it’s another ‘okay’ film but this time with the films most iconic characters....it would have that feeling of getting back together with an old flame hoping it will be like how it used to be but knowing it went badly wrong somewhere down the line. If it is a shocker there’s always the Mandalorian to fall back on for some reality of some good ol’ fashioned Star Wars. :)

Ruby2511
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Ruby2511 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:47 pm

I'm really looking forward to the new film. Think it will be a hit myself. The trailer was great .........the end :D
Hi i'm Russ

Remember above the clouds the sun always shines

C-3PO (Return of the Jedi): I’m rather embarrassed, General Solo, but it appears that you are to be the main course at a banquet in my honor.

Return to “Star Wars Films”