SWTOTW, Week 36, 2019, Part 2/2 Rebel Soldier (Hoth Battle Gear)

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
theforceuk said:
Wow some amazing examples posted. I loved this figure as a kid and still do now. Not really sure why, perhaps it's the simplicity of the sculpt?

Here's my mini focus which I hope to expand. The Rebel Soldier with the blaster in the army is my childhood one and the graded one is also from my childhood. Managed to get a pink face dark brown one a couple weeks ago.

Then the MOCs are left to right; 31B, 77A and Trilogo. Really hope to add to the MOCs soon. :D
Lovely collection

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
theforceuk said:
Wow some amazing examples posted. I loved this figure as a kid and still do now. Not really sure why, perhaps it's the simplicity of the sculpt?

Here's my mini focus which I hope to expand. The Rebel Soldier with the blaster in the army is my childhood one and the graded one is also from my childhood. Managed to get a pink face dark brown one a couple weeks ago.

Then the MOCs are left to right; 31B, 77A and Trilogo. Really hope to add to the MOCs soon. :D

image.jpgimage.jpg
That's a great focus collection! Thanks for sharing it :)

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:
The Rebel Soldier (Hoth Battle Gear), or just plain 'Hoth Rebel Soldier' as I've always called it.

When the first 10 figures for 'The Empire Strikes Back' were released back in 1980, Kenner released a Han Hoth figure, but no Luke Hoth. They also released a Luke Bespin figure, but no Han Bespin in that same wave, which led to a requirement for some imagination to be used when playing with my figures and recreating scenes from the new film :). The black and white clothed original 12-back Han had to suffice for Bespin scenes, but for Hoth ones, in the absence of a properly attired Luke, the good old Hoth Rebel Soldier had to be wheeled into action! Once stuffed inside my tauntaun (solid belly), he doubled as Luke as I manoeuvred him across the icy wastes of my bedroom carpet!

Fast forward 40 years and I no longer have to pretend that he's Luke, but he certainly does have some interesting variants, if you're into that sort of thing! The figure comes in some very different iterations, with different sculpts, paint jobs and plastic colours being used. Quite famously these days of course, he can be found in a much darker PBP brown vest than the regular Kenner versions, and the fact that this is the most obvious and sought-after variant I find a little ironic, given the fact that Kenner chose to illustrate the figure's cardback with the 'wrong' Hoth Rebel Soldier who isn't even wearing a brown vest! :lol: You could argue they made the wrong figure, but the fact remains that the brown vested version is the one we got, so here are mine.

Very strange they released the figures like that, I do not remember how they released them because I was first old enough to get my first figure in 1983 :lol: But I would have thought it as a kid to get a solo goth figure but no luke before later :( the same with the bespin figures.

I love that much darker PBP brown vest, but again stupid the wrong soldier is on the cardback :roll: or was it the wrong figure on the cardback. It has been a few years since I last saw esb, but I do not remember any brown vest rebel soldiers in the movie :?

Lovely collection that you have and I love that metallic blaster 8)

thanks for all the info about the variants
There are Hoth Rebels with brown vests in 'The Empire Strikes Back', but they aren't dark brown though! :-D. They effectively wear the same outfits as Luke, but Kenner clearly got its wires crossed when pairing their Hoth Rebel Soldier figure with the accompanying cardback image!

Brown Vest Rebel.jpg

Luke Brown Vest.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:
The Rebel Soldier (Hoth Battle Gear), or just plain 'Hoth Rebel Soldier' as I've always called it.

When the first 10 figures for 'The Empire Strikes Back' were released back in 1980, Kenner released a Han Hoth figure, but no Luke Hoth. They also released a Luke Bespin figure, but no Han Bespin in that same wave, which led to a requirement for some imagination to be used when playing with my figures and recreating scenes from the new film :). The black and white clothed original 12-back Han had to suffice for Bespin scenes, but for Hoth ones, in the absence of a properly attired Luke, the good old Hoth Rebel Soldier had to be wheeled into action! Once stuffed inside my tauntaun (solid belly), he doubled as Luke as I manoeuvred him across the icy wastes of my bedroom carpet!

Fast forward 40 years and I no longer have to pretend that he's Luke, but he certainly does have some interesting variants, if you're into that sort of thing! The figure comes in some very different iterations, with different sculpts, paint jobs and plastic colours being used. Quite famously these days of course, he can be found in a much darker PBP brown vest than the regular Kenner versions, and the fact that this is the most obvious and sought-after variant I find a little ironic, given the fact that Kenner chose to illustrate the figure's cardback with the 'wrong' Hoth Rebel Soldier who isn't even wearing a brown vest! :lol: You could argue they made the wrong figure, but the fact remains that the brown vested version is the one we got, so here are mine.

Very strange they released the figures like that, I do not remember how they released them because I was first old enough to get my first figure in 1983 :lol: But I would have thought it as a kid to get a solo goth figure but no luke before later :( the same with the bespin figures.

I love that much darker PBP brown vest, but again stupid the wrong soldier is on the cardback :roll: or was it the wrong figure on the cardback. It has been a few years since I last saw esb, but I do not remember any brown vest rebel soldiers in the movie :?

Lovely collection that you have and I love that metallic blaster 8)

thanks for all the info about the variants
There are Hoth Rebels with brown vests in 'The Empire Strikes Back', but they aren't dark brown though! :-D. They effectively wear the same outfits as Luke, but Kenner clearly got its wires crossed when pairing their Hoth Rebel Soldier figure with the accompanying cardback image!

Brown Vest Rebel.jpg

Luke Brown Vest.jpg

Damn I have forgot that, but as you write they are not dark brown, I would say they do not even look like the light brown on the common rebel soldiers. More like luke hoth. But since I have forgot that then I have to see ESB again soon :lol:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
spoons said:
A lot of Rebels there Jeremy - love those Spanish ones

Here are a couple of mine, a baggie in an ESB Hoth 4 pack and one of only two of my childhood figures, which was found in a flower bed 16 years after getting lost. Interesting how only some limbs discoloured in the earth

Hoth 4 pack.JPGChildhood Rebel Soldier.JPG

Wow amazing collection that you have andy :shock: also a funny story about the figure found in the flower bed after 16 years :lol: I agree Interesting how only some limbs discoloured in the earth :shock:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
Some superb examples. Here's my three.
L-R: moulded legs with HK coo; painted legs with MADE IN no coo (sometimes accidentally or deliberately mis-sold as Meccanno variant); PBP smooth no coo (unfortunately with glued left leg but at half the price)

Some cool variants that you have in your collection, thanks mate for sharing them :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Lom said:
I do like a Hoth Rebel Soldier - great looking figure and card back that I've only come to appreciate in later years if I'm honest; as a kid I wasn't that fussed I seem to recall - same with the Rebel Commando. Anyhoo... Aside from a couple of loose ones from my childhood I have an ESB-A baggie in a multipack and a carded figure which I bought as a reseal but I'm still not convinced; it's either a moc or the best reseal I've ever seen.

CE791D61-EEB5-4A10-8932-0589AD60C93E.png

Amazing just amazing, that six pack is so cool, I have been looking after one for 18 years, but everytime I have seen one then I thought it was to expensive for me, today I wish I had not thought it was to expensive in 2001 :roll: but I think we all have done mistakes like that with star wars toy. Saying I will wait maybe prices will go down or a cheaper one will come for sale and then prices is just going up and up.

I am not a moc expert but to me it looks original :D

Lom

Jedi Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Amazing just amazing, that six pack is so cool, I have been looking after one for 18 years, but everytime I have seen one then I thought it was to expensive for me, today I wish I had not thought it was to expensive in 2001 :roll: but I think we all have done mistakes like that with star wars toy. Saying I will wait maybe prices will go down or a cheaper one will come for sale and then prices is just going up and up.
Thanks mate! Those 6 packs are too expensive for me to buy in one hit too but I completed it the long way round - bought it all separately over the course of about 2 years - had one of the baggies for my focus figure when the opportunity came up to buy the box and leaflet. Gradually added the rest of the figures in their correct baggies finishing with the Hoth Stormy about a month ago - it's actually been good fun putting together.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Lom said:
Pomse2001 said:
Thanks mate! Those 6 packs are too expensive for me to buy in one hit too but I completed it the long way round - bought it all separately over the course of about 2 years - had one of the baggies for my focus figure when the opportunity came up to buy the box and leaflet. Gradually added the rest of the figures in their correct baggies finishing with the Hoth Stormy about a month ago - it's actually been good fun putting together.

Congratulations with the completed run :D Yes it is always fun to put something together, I can't wait to see the other six pack that you have :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
theforceuk said:

image.jpgimage.jpg

Wow that army looks magnificent and I love your moc collection. The tri-logo looks fantastic :D thanks for sharing your collection :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom