30 Back Fett

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
OK, there's no sarcasm from me this time, but there is a lot of disbelief! Here's a Palitoy 30-back Boba Fett for sale:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-...0-Last-one-sold-over-5-years-ago/163972943276

An incredibly hard to find piece to be sure, and doubtless it will sell for a large amount, but look at the grade the card's been given! It's literally been cut in half at some point, and then fixed back together again, and yet it still grades at a 70? Come off it!

Lindo

Sith Lord
Does seem it is graded too highly at 71.4 to be precise , never did get what the "real grade" is, if anyone can explain I would appreciate it

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Lindo said:
Does seem it is graded too highly at 71.4 to be precise , never did get what the "real grade" is, if anyone can explain I would appreciate it

Sorry, perhaps I should have been clearer. I am referring to the sub-grade the cardback was given, which was a straight 70... even though it's in at least 2 separate pieces...

lejackal

Grand Master
Grant_C said:
The last one did not sell 5 years ago as Craig Stevens sold his at Vectis.
Although Mr Havens long winded sales post isn't quite correct (neither is the grade) unfortunately we're getting old. I just checked and that one was January 2015, 5 years next month :shock:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeah 5 years ago, time flys. Is the card in two bits or is it a bad crease? Don't think it will go for any where near k18.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
theforceuk said:
Yeah 5 years ago, time flys. Is the card in two bits or is it a bad crease? Don't think it will go for any where near k18.

I certainly agree with you on the price. It simply isn't worth $25,000 (£19,000). It's still valuable, but in that condition the 'Buy It Now' price is a piss-take.

As for the card itself, I definitely think it's cut clean through. If you look at the back of the card the cut line shows there too, just like on the front of the card:

Fett - 01.jpg

Fett - 02.jpg

Plus, if you look at the edge of the card at the join, you can see the cut goes all the way through the card:

Fett - 03.jpg

Fett - 04.jpg

And on the other side of the card by the blister, there appears to be a 3rd smaller piece that's been reattached when they put the jigsaw back together, but they didn't do it perfectly and so the 'c' of 'Back' is now slightly misaligned :)

Fett - 05.jpg

Fett - 06.jpg

And yet apparently this cardback still deserves a grade of 70! Who graded it? Stevie Wonder?:

Fett - 07.jpg

Lindo

Sith Lord
If the card is cut in two then any grade makes a mockery of the grading system let alone a grade of 70, appreciate 70 is a low grade but a card sliced in two, no matter how rare should be un gradeable imo

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Well, If Mr Havens had it graded himself it may be a case of preferential treatment I suspect. :roll:

Palifan

Sith Lord
I would love to hear cases reasons for this grade as I thought they were the new player in town being fair with their grading. This surly shouldn't have received a grade at all with the card back being in what looks like 3 pieces although I'd also love to know the story about how this happened in the first place?!

It really does make a joke of the whole grading aspect of collecting but I'd be certainly willing to listen to any defence behind this as there maybe a story that makes sense for it (I am struggling to come up with one though).

Ian

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
What an absolute joke.

I've seen some utter shite graded by CAS, and some real howlers including a 'Disco Boots' DSC described as an 'over-pour'!!! WTF is an over-pour? It makes no sense, and that's just one example.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I've messaged the seller asking if the card has ever been cut and put back together, no reply yet.

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Think he will be holding on to that for a while, his expectations are way to high :shock:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Agreed, the seller is utterly deluded if he thinks it's worth more than the (frankly astonishing!) $5,100 someone was apparently prepared to spend on this piece.... or more accurately pieces ;-)

And if that's what someone is prepared to spend on a card in 3 pieces (albeit with a still sealed blister attached), what the hell would a good condition MOC fetch today? Certainly a lot more than the £15,000 the one at Vectis fetched 5 years ago.

lejackal

Grand Master
A bounty, pun very much intended, of £30k has been available for one of these, presumably in good condition, for about a year and no one has bitten. I think 50k might shake the one that was sold at Vectis loose based on comments made by the current owner but who knows what true market value is.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom