SPOILERS THREAD-The Rise of Skywalker-SPOILERS THREAD

_Lee_

Sith Lord
The only thing about the PT is that it is related to the Skywalker saga, so it can be forgiven.

Id actually say that AOTC is no longer the worst Star Wars movie. Its sitting pretty in 4th - not counting R1 and Solo which were great movies.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
AndyPreston said:
I for one really enjoyed it. Sure it's not perfect, but after the mess that was TLJ it stands as a very worthy end to the saga. Most unresolved plot threads are wrapped up (and some new ones left hanging - Palpatine had offspring??), there were some great character moments, I thought Carrie was excellent, great to see Harrison one last time, and Mark got to redeem Luke after the awful portrayal in TLJ. There were some fantastic action sequences, and some real shocks and surprises. Good to see R2 and 3PO with a proper role to play, and Lando was a welcome return. There were even a few moments that brought a tear to my eye, and that's very unusual.

All in all it stands as a good Star Wars movie, and I've very few complaints. Thanks JJ.

Feel quite similar to this, although felt it was a bit of a mess. It was fun, breathtaking and exciting. However, there was too much going on and too many plot conveniences and while I liked some of the fan service, I also felt some of it was trying too hard and shoe-horned in.

I would thoroughly recommend watching it and just sitting back and enjoying the ride, so you can make an informed judgement. Don't pay too much attention to leaks such as 'Kylo revives Rey with a kiss' as they are hyperbole and taken out of context. He heals her with the force (as she had done to him earlier), THEN they kiss. It was a good scene IMHO.

Looking forward to my second viewing with the whole family on Saturday- will be able to take it in much better. I've found all of the recent films much better on second viewing, as midnight screenings can be a bit of a blur.

PS- my 13 year old son saw it with me last night and was blown away :)

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
Cazza said:
PS- my 13 year old son saw it with me last night and was blown away :)

At the end of the day, this is the only reaction that really matters.
Whatever us moaning old farts think is totally irrelevant.
MTFBWY

indianawars

Sith Lord
WOW! 'RISE OF SKYWALKER'. A BRILLIANT ENDING TO THE SKYWALKER SAGA! ❤❤❤

I've just finished watching for a second time. JJ had an impossible mission on his hands, but you can see he gave it his all.

I don't understand the negativity towards Star Wars at the moment - maybe it's now cool to be a grumpy, miserable git :roll:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I agree, thought it was great. Not sure really what else you could ask for, answered all the questions and tied up all the lose ends. Palpatine returning even worked for me and I really was sceptical about that.

Over all pleasantly suprised and loved the ending. The two lightsabers is genius and loved how and where they got hidden.

For me nothing will touch the first trilogy or change that story. But the two book end trilogies have a place for me.

grinchy

Sith Lord
I loved it, what an ending to the saga! I need to see it again but for me it was ace, glad there are still some people who like it, kudos to JJ and the company :D

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Just for back after taking Sonny to see it. After 2nd viewing I'm looking at a little differently, but the Papa palpatine idea still irks me.

Sonny said it was good but he cannot understand how or why Palps survived. He said it makes ROTJ look a bit silly now, and he is 11 years old. But he has been brought up an OT kid so.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
I've seen a few people saying that this film 'wraps it nicely' which to me is very wrong. This film has completely shattered the saga with its use of Palpatine. It had left more questions that answers. JJ knew what he was doing and as long as he put something better than TLJ out there, it would do.

I know everyone is entitled to an opinion but can someone please explain how this wraps it up nicely or finishes the saga nicely??

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
_Lee_ said:
I've seen a few people saying that this film 'wraps it nicely' which to me is very wrong. This film has completely shattered the saga with its use of Palpatine. It had left more questions that answers. JJ knew what he was doing and as long as he put something better than TLJ out there, it would do.

I know everyone is entitled to an opinion but can someone please explain how this wraps it up nicely or finishes the saga nicely??

Lee we have to stop going through the same routine every time a new Star Wars film comes out! Some are going to love this film and many like yourself are going to struggle with it, I get that completely. Fans have a right to be angry with how this trilogy has been produced, but try not to vent that frustration with the fans that do like it.

I don't want to explain how the film satisfied me, but it did and I'm happy with the ending of the saga. At the same time I get your frustration and if you need someone to explain how it wraps the story up, I don't think there is any point as it wont be what you wanted from these films. Infact I don't think you really wanted these films to be made at all, which I also completely get. :)

_Lee_

Sith Lord
theforceuk said:
_Lee_ said:

Lee we have to stop going through the same routine every time a new Star Wars film comes out! Some are going to love this film and many like yourself are going to struggle with it, I get that completely. Fans have a right to be angry with how this trilogy has been produced, but try not to vent that frustration with the fans that do like it.

I don't want to explain how the film satisfied me, but it did and I'm happy with the ending of the saga. At the same time I get your frustration and if you need someone to explain how it wraps the story up, I don't think there is any point as it wont be what you wanted from these films. Infact I don't think you really wanted these films to be made at all, which I also completely get. :)

Hi bud,

I get that totally. I just cannot understand where in the film it actually wraps anything up. Rey is a Palpatine, who takes on the Skywalker name which IMO contradicts the other films. I'm just interested as to what other peoples thoughts were on the subject. I have no ill feeling towards those who like it. Its a universal brand and no different to liking other movies.

EDIT: I actually love R1, Solo and the Mandalorian so I just cannot understand the direction the ST went in. It just seemed very bizarre and a very far fetched storyline.

Lee

100sounds

Youngling
theforceuk said:
_Lee_ said:

I'm also genuinely curious as to how anyone thinks this wraps things up. If someone can explain it to me I could maybe get more out of the film, did I miss something? I do really want to like them, I love Star Wars and really like some of the prequels too. The main things that leave me puzzled are the return of Palpatine with no explanation means Anakin is now not the chosen one anymore? So is Rey the chosen one? But she's a Palpatine. I don't understand. And how did Palpatine survive? Also in the sequel trilogy in general it seems peoples inherited natural ability in the force takes priority over any training. So should I be viewing these films more as super-hero type films? Is the force more like a super power you're born with?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I'm not getting drawn into the ins and outs of what everything in the film meant! I liked it, that is that!!!!!!!!!!! :)

scooternick

Jedi Knight
I really dislike all modern super-hero films but I liked ep 9. Can't see the connection with super-heros myself. I think ep 9 hit my nostalgia buttons nicely, especially the appearance of Wedge

Davaider

Padawan
I Thought it was An Excellent Film. Huge Credit to JJ. I'll be watching it a Hat Trick Of Times on the Cinema for sure......ROLL IT AGAIN !!!

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
The Rise Of Skywalker (2019) – Review by Matt Fox (May The Toys Be With You)

CONTAINS SPOILERS – please see the film before reading!

A new Star Wars movie on the big screen is always cause for a trip to the pictures, and The Rise Of Skywalker is no exception – in fact it benefits from more than one such trip! On first viewing this movie can seem like something of a hot mess; spectacular, disorientating, overloaded with characters (both legacy and new trilogy), and rather too rapid for its own good. Thankfully multiple viewings is what the Star Wars movies have proven themselves to be made for. From cinema tickets, to VHS, to DVD, to Blu Ray, and soon to 4K – long-term fans have shown themselves willing to return again and again to this saga. So perhaps a packed Episode IX is not such a bad thing, as devotees will no doubt enjoy returning to savour this hearty meal for many years to come.

The dead speak! So we are told in the opening crawl. Ian McDiarmid's gloriously evil Emperor Palpatine is back (and he won't be the only one resurrected during this movie, but more on that later). The camera pans down to a beautiful opening shot that shows Kylo Ren's Star Destroyer orbiting a red world. We follow Kylo's mini quest as he rapidly follows an ancient marker which leads him to Exegol, the secret home world of the Sith. Here we find Palpatine (and also news that he was pulling the strings of Snoke - in fact we see what looks like another Snoke floating in a vat of liquid). Kylo had thought to kill Palpatine but after Palpatine pledges him a massive fleet of Star Destroyers, he can't resist the ambition of turning the First Order into the 'Final Order'. Now its not 100% clear whether these countless Star Destroyers which suddenly burst from the ground are all crewed but if so it does raise the question of where all the personnel came from and how they are sustained on what appears to be an utterly desolate and storm ridden world. I've always been attracted to the original trilogy as a World War 2 movie set in space, and indeed the first three films seemed to provide a serviceable reflection of military warfare; supply lines, command structures, ship-building logistics and such-like – sadly the new trilogy really doesn't seem to care about any of this. At any rate the appearance of a huge fleet of Star Destroyers, each armed with planet killing cannons, certainly ups the ante more than another Death Star would have done.

We meet our heroes aboard the Falcon, and it's really nice to see the great chemistry between the cast. I really think the main cast members; Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac and in particular Adam Driver have been a huge boon to the new movies, and their likeability goes to new heights in this film. We go from a really cool crystalline looking space station, to a series of hyperspace skips. Again, we've been told in the past that TIE Fighters are short range military craft but the ones in pursuit of the Falcon seem to be able to pursue it through hyperspace, so I guess the screen writers decided to upgrade them. It's a fun chase sequence at any rate, and the info recovered from the space station leads the goodies to the realisation that they'll need to find their own path to Exegol to stop Palpatine before he conquers the galaxy.

It's lovely to see Carrie Fisher one more time heading the resistance. Let's not forget that it's her we first meet in A New Hope, well before we're introduced to Luke or Han. This film pays homage to her as "the Princess of Alderaan" and also we are shown one tantalising shot of a 30-something year old Leia wielding a lightsaber in training – obviously created with the magic of almost photo-real CG but a real unexpected treat nonetheless. I'd heard it said before she passed that Carrie had remarked that The Force Awakens was Harrison's film, The Last Jedi was Mark's, and that she'd like this third one to be hers – well in many ways it is, and a poignant last goodbye to a much-loved lady.

The first step in our heroes' quest leads them to a desert world – it's all rather familiar. We get another nice chase sequence, not unlike the pod race from Episode I, and we also get to see Rey demonstrate 'Force Healing' in a twist on the 'Daniel in the lion's den' bible story. Fans of The Mandalorian will also recognise this as a nice little tie-in to everyone's favourite little Yoda Baby.

The next destination is where the movie really starts to pick up and find its feet. I really like this section set on the planet Kijimi, it works really well. The snowy environment of ancient stone buildings and lots of stairways (a great detail is the little ramps for droids to navigate) is something quite fresh for Star Wars, and the two new characters we meet here – the slinky Zorii Bliss and the Cartman-esque midget Babu Frik – are both triumphs. In the best Star Wars tradition, they're entertaining for every second we spend with them and you're left wanting to know more about their back stories. The film even allows itself to slow down and breath for a moment as Poe and Zorii share an intimate conversation overlooking the higgledy-piggledy rooftops of the town.

C3PO in a moving sequence gives up his memory in order to reveal the destination of the ancient marker. However, he does get his memory back again not much later so it's a rather phony extraction of viewer sympathy. This isn't the only case of the film saying you thought 'x' was dead but – syke! - actually they're still alive. It happens rather too often in one form or another (Palpatine, Chewbacca, C3PO, Zorii, Kylo, Han, Rey) and there's the risk of eye-rolling 'resurrection fatigue' creeping in. I personally would have preferred C3PO was left with his memory wiped, it makes his sacrifice and "taking one last look at my friends" speech more meaningful, plus it's a neat callback to the end of Episode III where he gets his memory unceremoniously wiped.

The film accelerates in the second half. We head into a Star Destroyer to rescue Chewie, across a tumultuous sea into the ruins of the Death Star to retrieve the ancient marker, a quick trip to Jedi island Ach-To, back to the Rebel Base to agree a plan, and then everyone off to Exegol for the final battle. However even though things are moving almost too fast to keep up, the level of visual detail and the quality of the props and sets remains absolutely top level. For example, the cell that Chewie is being held in on the Star Destroyer is only glimpsed for a few seconds and could have been a simple little box room, but it's not. It's a masterpiece of attention-to-detail and every inch of the room is filled with something interesting for the eye. It makes me very proud to be British and I know that the peerless set-dressing tradition of the original Star Wars, has been impeccably continued for this film at Pinewood Studios.

Having said that, the final confrontation in the 'Sith Stadium' at Exegol is actually one of the least interesting environments from a visual perspective. Rather like the later Harry Potter movies, the finale of Rise Of Skywalker goes very much for a murky greyscale palette. The desaturated visuals may have been a choice by director JJ Abrams intended to show the shades of grey within Rey, I'm not sure, but for me it made a very exciting sequence seem rather drab. I did like the outcomes though, and the payoff of the 'Reylo' relationship was handled really well. Nice also to see Richard E Grant get to ham it up with a great death scene as the ill-fated Final Order fleet meet their Waterloo.

The Rise Of Skywalker isn't a perfect movie, in many ways it's rather messy but there's so much to enjoy in it. It's packed with cool moments, big emotions and spectacular visuals. The pace of the film is such that I can imagine there is a fair amount on the cutting room floor (where was Nien Nunb for example in the final attack, and did Wedge really only get 1 second of screen time?). I'm already looking forward to the home release and watching the making of documentaries and deleted scenes. I think there is a bit more to this movie yet to be revealed. And is it the end of Star Wars on the big screen? Not a chance. Star Wars will be back, and we'll be waiting.

Ps. Chewie gets a medal. About time. About bloomin' time.

lejackal

Grand Master
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
The Rise Of Skywalker (2019) – Review by Matt Fox (May The Toys Be With You)

CONTAINS SPOILERS

Hi Matt, I've moved your review as we're trying to keep all spoilers in one thread for a few weeks, hope you understand :)

Cheers

Carl

Rimmer

Padawan
I need to mention Luke raising his x-wing from the water. It's one of my favourite scenes from ESB (where he fails and Yoda steps in) and with the amazing Williams score recycled, it packed quite an emotional punch for me. Absolutely loved it and I admit to having a bit of grit in my eye.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
I like it. Everything Matt said basically.

I'll add that if things getting very sequellish, in a humongous way that sometimes isn't completely sensible, is a complete deal-breaker for you then avoid the eighth sequel to anything and stick to the originals.

I was genuinely moved a number of times and left so happy. There's so much to like.

olisuds

Sith Lord
I saw TROS today and my objective opinion is as follows:

It's was the best possible ending I could have expected considering the mediocre start with TFA and the completely shambolic TLJ. Rian Johnson threw it all away and it was just about repaired.

It resurrected the storylines of Snoke, Knights of Ren and Rey's parentage in a satisfying way.

The Emperor was awesome! Such incredible acting from Ian McDiarmid. He was the best part of the PT and now the ST. He was so dark! But it worked really well and it was a nice deviation from the gushy niceness and inclusiveness. I was a little surprised he was revealed so early in the opening scroll.

Lando was also awesome. Would like to have seen more of him. Corny but cool!

As with the other films in the ST they suffer from a very tenuous, convoluted and sometimes nonsensical plot. Very rushed and too much action and not enough dialogue. I struggle with JJA's and RJ's style. I enjoyed the experience but unlike the OT I don't think I have a desire to rewatch it.

The CGI was really well done in the action shots although there were a couple of dodgy shots of Luke and Leia from the past that looked weird and fake.

It was the best of the ST. I was a bit surprised with some of the negative reviews.

Overall it was very enjoyable and possibly the best Star Wars experience since episode 3 in 2005.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom