SPOILERS THREAD-The Rise of Skywalker-SPOILERS THREAD

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
subzero said:
Rotten Tomatoes currently sitting at 57%, and these are CRITIC reviews ( which are usually much higher rated compared to user's ), my god I can't wait to see where it's going to tank to once USER reviews start pouring in tomorrow. I'm glad this has happened, it actually makes me happy, I'm really looking forward to seeing this film completely ****ing bomb.

You probably should have waited for the audience scores before being glad it completely ****ing bombed.

Critics 56%
Audience 86%

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Have to say, I thought the score was absolutely amazing from start to finish. Taking themes from both OT and PT was inspired.

John Williams take a bow.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Really enjoyed it and need to watch it again.

Never going to please everyone, but I enjoyed the film loved 3P0 and all of the nods to OT, think a really good job done as I said will have a second watch definitely for me

Dantooine

Padawan
Just got back from the cinema. I enjoyed a lot of it, but towards the end I kind of zoned out. Bar a few dodgy scenes everything up until Rey heads of to Ach Too (or what ever it's called) was pretty good. Her wanting to hide away from the Force because she's a Palpatine makes sense but was way too rushed. The scene with Luke was pretty bad (though him catching the Lightsaber is a middle finger to Rian Johnson).

Kylo Ren and Reys relationship was one of the best things about the film. His redemption was also fairly well handled. Again McDiarmid was great, having fun hamming it up - I thought he looked really good and the soundtrack was excellent in that end sequence. But it was really messy. The last third didn't really work for me. The space battle was boring ( Return of the Jedi has yet to be beaten in that department) and the whole recycling of the ending of RotJ with the Emperor trying to temp Rey whilst her allies crumble was really badly done. As was her returning to Tatooine and that terrible Hallmark greeting card image of Luke and Leia.

It's the best of the ST and much better than I thought it would be. I liked how early the Emperor was introduced, the hyper skipping was great, Rey actually (almost) killing Kylo, Han turning up, Cheweys rescue, the little fella that works on C3-PO, the banter between the main characters, Lando. Lots of enjoyable stuff, too rushed and should've been spread over two films. Rian Johnson really ****ed this up.

Btw, The Mandalorian is waaayyyyyyyy better.

Chico

Jedi Knight
Just back from 1st viewing and enjoyed it (certainly more than I thought I would). IMO it was a near impossible task to try and wrap up all these movies - in some ways if JJ had focused on tying up less of the loose ends or having a longer run time the movie might have felt less rushed - it certainly packs a lot in.

In a lot of ways it plays like a greatest hits of the previous 8 movies repeating or paying tribute to iconic scenes. Whilst this was fun I found I wasn't emotionally invested in any of it, not even the Leia scenes, but I still enjoyed it for what it was. I was almost in tears at the behind the scenes trailer that was played before the movie started though. It would have been good if ROS had taken a few more risks and left a bit of mystery like its predecessor.

I know this isn't a popular opinion on this forum but I loved TLJ (in spite of its flaws) and although I don't really understand the hatred for that movie, I'm genuinely sorry that it seems to have ruined the wider viewing experience of new Star Wars content for many of you.

A break from the big screen will hopefully be a positive step and a chance to reset a little bit.

The Mandalorian is excellent and provides hope that great new SW stories can be told on the big and small screen, which can also strike a good balance between nostalgia and charting new territory too.

At the end of the day it's fantastic to have any new SW to look forward to.

I hope you all have a good Christmas all when it comes! 😀

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Just got back from the cinema, haven't been on line all week, avoiding spoilers. Absolutely loved it, wasn't looking forward to it at all. I thought it was great, they put a lot of stuff right. Need to see it again! I feel exactly the opposite to how I felt after TLJ. Good times.

jayums

Jedi Master
Second viewing. This time not at midnight. Liked it the first time, loved it the second time. Just a fun Star Wars film - my favourite outside the OT - especially good as it had to go some to undo the damage done by TLJ.

The second time around i I noticed lots of extra stuff (cloning technology for emperor etc). Babu guy was cool. Didn't even mind the space horses when I realised they weren't in space. Loved how JJ killed the crapness of TLJ (heroes stick together through movie, hyperspace jumping, rose left behind, Luke catches saber, reference to doing a holdo not working etc).

I found the Rey and Ben stuff worked this time when it didn't in TLJ. Loved the bit where she tricked the emperor and gave Ben her saber, Emperor stuff all brilliant . Funny C3PO. Richard e Grant was a proper imperial baddie needed to be in TLJ. And the underlying themes were simple and positive. This felt like a Star Wars movie to me (JJ should have done all three as this one crammed so much in and in those circumstances I think he did a great job.

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
_Lee_ said:
I didn't like it. So Rey is a Palpatine, and took the Skywalker family name. In the end Palpatine wins just by that alone and it completely destroys the Skywalker story and all that happened up to the end of ROTJ. No clear explanation how Palpatine survived and too many plot holes. Basically, if we include these films its the Palpatine saga, but if we ignore it then its still the Skywalker saga. I know why Mark Hamill is so pissed.

Its also like spin the bottle in some points, Kylo dies, Rey dies blah,blah.

For me the sequels don't exist, but hey...that's me :D

I totally agree mate.

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
I loved it seen it twice now and my kids loved it and they don't really do star wars but they didn't stop talking about it after they saw it.

It was go go go from start to finish I didn't find myself thinking how long left like in TLJ I didn't want this to end.

I agree with what others have mentioned about Luke's x wing when he raised it with the appropriate music did touch a nerve.

The ending with rey on tatooine was a good final scene for me.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
jayums said:
Second viewing. This time not at midnight. Liked it the first time, loved it the second time. Just a fun Star Wars film - my favourite outside the OT - especially good as it had to go some to undo the damage done by TLJ.

The second time around i I noticed lots of extra stuff (cloning technology for emperor etc). Babu guy was cool. Didn't even mind the space horses when I realised they weren't in space. Loved how JJ killed the crapness of TLJ (heroes stick together through movie, hyperspace jumping, rose left behind, Luke catches saber, reference to doing a holdo not working etc).

I found the Rey and Ben stuff worked this time when it didn't in TLJ. Loved the bit where she tricked the emperor and gave Ben her saber, Emperor stuff all brilliant . Funny C3PO. Richard e Grant was a proper imperial baddie needed to be in TLJ. And the underlying themes were simple and positive. This felt like a Star Wars movie to me (JJ should have done all three as this one crammed so much in and in those circumstances I think he did a great job.

Exactly the same for me after second viewing! Love it! Both my boys (13 & 11) were blown away by it. My wife loved it too.

sparkysx

Sith Lord
I've never considered the prequels and sequels to be canon, so not bothered about these films, the lgbt bit was pandering though.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
You'd like it in Singapore, apparently they've had to cut those 2 seconds of hot girl-on-girl action to avoid an adult rating. :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-50899836

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Crazy- it was literally 2 seconds and just blended with the rest of the scene.

Anyone seen it in 4DX? Going on Friday 8)

How many times can a small band of rebels save planets by destroying equipment that the dark side possess? These movies are garbage and boring that now offer nothing , at least esb gave us a break from this theme until we got rotj. Twice in the original trilogy maintained my interest but now repeating this formula over and over again ? Honestly the movies are dead .

Paul1976

Padawan
I went to see the new movie with the wife and kids (12 and 9). We enjoyed it overall, a solid 7/10 on first viewing but I'd like to see it again as the plot got rather confused in places and there was a hell of a lot going on.

As usual, don't compare it to the OT for a host of reasons. It brought the new film trilogy to a semi-conclusion IMHO and looked great on the big screen. I enjoyed seeing some of the old ships and characters in action again and though the sea scenes around the wreck of the old death star were excellent. Hux was a bit corny and as a carreer progression strategy not sure informing the rebels as a spy was a very likely decision. Didn't really see the point of another cutesey droid but the 3PO scenes and memory wiping were decent.

My 12 year old described it as 'brilliant' and definitely going to watch it again as some point.

P

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
3rd viewing today in 4DX. Really love this film now- gets better and better. 4DX was fun- some bits are really enhanced with it, but sometimes it's distracting. The film looked fantastic in 3D. Saw TFA in 3D and thought it was very poor compared to the 2D. TROS was totally different though and looked fabulous.

subzero

Sith Lord
jedisearcher said:
subzero said:
Rotten Tomatoes currently sitting at 57%, and these are CRITIC reviews ( which are usually much higher rated compared to user's ), my god I can't wait to see where it's going to tank to once USER reviews start pouring in tomorrow. I'm glad this has happened, it actually makes me happy, I'm really looking forward to seeing this film completely ****ing bomb.

You probably should have waited for the audience scores before being glad it completely ****ing bombed.

Critics 56%
Audience 86%

Lol, you're obviously not aware the Rotten Tomatoes score is clearly rigged. The audience scores everywhere else on the internet is sitting at around 50 - 60%+ ( metacritic and IMDB for example ).

I thought Rotten Tomatoes would be the same but turns out the score has been manipulated with. The 'audience' score only shows the 'verified' audience score ( viewers who bought tickets through a certain channel to be classed as 'verified' ), and then there's 'ALL' audience which includes everyone else's reviews, which are not included in the so called 86% score. A few days ago when you clicked onto 'all' audience the score was at about 70%, but now they've even hidden that so you can't see it ( I wonder why ), the only score you can now see is the 'verified' 86% score.

A score which is rigged anyway, all the way back from 500 reviews up until 50,000+ the score has sat at 86%, and it has not budged not even 1% the entire time which is statistically impossible. It's clearly tampered with and faked. It says volumes when the 'critics' score is extremely low which just happens to be a score that RT can't tamper with.

Rotten Tomatoes is also literally owned by Hollywood, and the guy running it used to be a Disney executive ( go figure ).

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
subzero said:
Lol, you're obviously not aware the Rotten Tomatoes score is clearly rigged. The audience scores everywhere else on the internet is sitting at around 50 - 60%+ ( metacritic and IMDB for example ).

I've gone beyond caring now, so I find it all laughable.
There's definitely something suspect there. How can the score not change one iota, over the range of 60,000+ reviews.

Some sites are saying that the score has possibly been rigged to match TFAs audience RT score (the dubious highpoint of the trilogy). Who knows.

Can't wait for the inevitable 'tell-all' articles to appear, when all those NDAs expire. Should make for some interesting reading.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom