Episode 9 for those of us who hated TLJ

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Finally got to see it last night, I really enjoyed it. I can see what others are saying about JJ playing it safe, it is a crowd pleaser for sure. but after the car crash that was TLJ that's just fine by me.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Glad you liked it, Edd 8)

Quite a few of my friends and family have seen this now (none are SW 'fans', but have seen the other films and like them). Very interesting that it has had a unanimous thumbs up from everybody and several have said they were in tears at various stages. Most of the same people were rather 'meh' about TLJ, so TROS definitely seems to be faring a whole lot better than TLJ with general audiences and has positive word of mouth.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Surely it's not hard to fare better than TLJ? The prequels were bad because there was so much CGI and George was pish at writting scripts, but TLJ was bad because it changed so much and had some horrendous flaws. I get yer man wanted to try and take the trilogy in a different direction after the very safe effort of TFA, but he just made a hash of it. Add in the Liberal PC nonsense and the film was a disaster.
Disney wanted a film people would like and fans would watch over and over, so they could make money from it. The fact it was so divisive will have severely limited it's takings. It also seemed to harm Solo. I guess that could just be a case of too many SW fans for the casual fan (of which we are not one) we'll never know. But the amount of hate generated by TLJ could not have helped.

GLucas

Padawan
weasel said:
Surely it's not hard to fare better than TLJ? The prequels were bad because there was so much CGI and George was pish at writting scripts, but TLJ was bad because it changed so much and had some horrendous flaws. I get yer man wanted to try and take the trilogy in a different direction after the very safe effort of TFA, but he just made a hash of it. Add in the Liberal PC nonsense and the film was a disaster.
Disney wanted a film people would like and fans would watch over and over, so they could make money from it. The fact it was so divisive will have severely limited it's takings. It also seemed to harm Solo. I guess that could just be a case of too many SW fans for the casual fan (of which we are not one) we'll never know. But the amount of hate generated by TLJ could not have helped.
Did you know Rotten Tomatoes rated TROS (52%) worse than TPM? (53%) Compared to the rating of TLJ (91%) this is a huge difference :roll: I still like the prequels, although they were much about CGI. It is more focused on telling the Star Wars beginnings. The prequels are like loose sand, can't find a line in the story. But TROS was ok to me, liked the pace of the movie.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I haven't seen TROS so I can't comment on it.
I suspect SW ends for me with the abomination that is TLJ.

sparkysx

Sith Lord
I didn't hate any of the films that came after the trilogy, but in my own head I don't consider them canon, Return of the Jedi was the last true Star Wars film for me, I'm happy with the way that ended (original version with the Ewok song)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom