Space efficient (and cheaper) alternative to Star Cases

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Finally, a product I've been waiting for since the early 2000s. I've always used Star Cases to protect my non-display MOCs, but it has always bothered my how much space inside them is wasted due to the excessive depth, and how expensive they are. I must have about £500 worth of the things!

I recently stumbled across a company that makes 'video game box protector' style cases for MOCs. For those unfamilar with these, they come flat packed and are a perfect fit with no hang tabs or outer edges. They are also significantly cheaper to buy, roughly half the price Star Cases cost.

https://deflectordc.co.uk/collections/star-wars-vintage/products/star-wars-1977-1985-vintage-3-75-inch-figure-display-case-1

As you can see in these photos, the smallest (30mm depth) versions comfortably fit even the large tri-logo bubbles. In fact if space is in issue like it is for me, you can even fit two figures in each one! And as the comparison photo shows, each one is less than half the depth of a Star Case (plus the space saved from not having a hang tab or edges.)

Now I have to say these are not as sturdy as Star Cases and I will definitely continue to use Star Cases for posting figures or storing expensive MOCs, and obviously acrylic is still the best option for display. However these things are literally going to save 75% of the storage space I am currently using for my collection, and it has only cost me about £90 to buy enough for every MOC I own. In fact if you buy them now, there is a Black Friday sale on:

https://deflectordc.co.uk/collections/black-friday-event/products/star-wars-1977-1985-vintage-3-75-inch-figure-display-case

I hope this helps other collectors struggling for space!

View attachment 2

IMG_9092.jpg

IMG_9093.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9090.jpg
    IMG_9090.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 2,288

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Thanks for the tip. From a storage standpoint alone they make an awful lot of sense if space is an issue, and they certainly wouldn't look terrible on display either.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Snaketibe said:
Thanks for the tip. From a storage standpoint alone they make an awful lot of sense if space is an issue, and they certainly wouldn't look terrible on display either.

My only concern with display is that they are not too stable (the 30mm ones anyway) which is probably why star cases are so deep, to give them a bit more stability when upright. However the good news is that these are so light, even if one did fall off a shelf it probably wouldn't do any damage to the MOC inside.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I see that they are available for most toy lines which is great as I've been looking for something like this for non Star Wars MOCs.
Brilliant, thanks Edd. :D

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
Snaketibe said:

My only concern with display is that they are not too stable (the 30mm ones anyway) which is probably why star cases are so deep, to give them a bit more stability when upright. However the good news is that these are so light, even if one did fall off a shelf it probably wouldn't do any damage to the MOC inside.

OK, thank you. I wonder whether they could be weighted down at the bottom to lower the centre of gravity and make them less inclined to incline?

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Great shout Edd 8)
These are great as an alternative to star cases and a cheaper alternative to acrylic

A little blu tack holds them steady ( fold the creases as you assemble thenm as well gripping finger and thumb together and sliding the fold helps as well)

Attachments

• IMG_4298.JPG
    IMG_4298.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 1,982
  • IMG_4299.JPG
    IMG_4299.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 1,982

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I use these for Bluray Steelbooks that I also collect and they are a good cheap alternative to acrylic.
As Mike has mentioned, fold the crease lines as you assemble them and they look great.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
They look great Mike! Yes it's really important to fold/soften the creases multiple times or they won't close properly.

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
Great recommendation edd_jedi

Bought some a couple of weeks before Xmas and just putting some together for some modern and they're perfect for what I need them for.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
I actually use them for display: I don't have hi-end MOCS and I think they look nicer than star cases despite not being as strong. I long for a shallow star case too though as they can straighten a really warped card.

These things are nice.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
It really baffles me why Pro-Tech make such deep cases when 95% of the figures fit in a case <1 inch deep

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Yes Rob they are fine for cardbacks as well :D

Attachments

• IMG_4330.JPG
    IMG_4330.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 1,810
  • IMG_4331.JPG
    IMG_4331.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,806

Palifan

Sith Lord
Thanks for the heads up on these Edd as I ordered 20 the other day from the link you supplied (which still worked with the discount!). I spent today filling them with my 30 back reseals and spare bits and bobs that have spent far to long just resting on each other and worked out great.

Hopefully the plastic that they're made from won't end up effecting the bubbles over time but they are a great way of either storing or displaying mocs.

Ian

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Palifan said:
Hopefully the plastic that they're made from won't end up effecting the bubbles over time but they are a great way of either storing or displaying mocs.

I've owned some of these for video games for over a decace and they all still look fresh. I often find star cases start going yellow after a few years.

Palifan

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
Palifan said:

I've owned some of these for video games for over a decace and they all still look fresh. I often find star cases start going yellow after a few years.

Good to know and I figured for someone with a collection like yourself that you wouldn't take any chances. These are way better for storage though than anything else I have, especially for the price and going through my reseals I could see a few things that i still need to work on so it looks like I have some fun projects to keep me busy this year. :D

Ian

jayums

Jedi Master
They're really good / cheap for display and storage. Especially if like me you'd rather spend the £ on actual vintage, and I only have relatively cheap Mocs in any case.

Star cases for me are too cumbersome, and I actually think they look crap anyway. I find acrylic cases look nice, but very easily scratch and I think they can scuff cards if you're a tad clumsy like me and like to take them out for a look occasionally. Perhaps it's just me though.

Mine are leant up against wall on a shelf , no danger of them falling over, and they are very light I doubt any impact would cause a problem. Highly recommended.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom