SWTOTW, Week 48, 2019 Dengar

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
TheJabbaWookie said:
Snaketibe said:
Dengar! Back in 1980, this was a very exciting figure for me. Having been blissfully ignorant of the mail-away Boba Fett offer here in the UK (mainly due to me not reading comics at the time and hence never seeing the adverts), Dengar represented my first ever experience of sending away for an unreleased figure. Talk about exciting! I gleefully destroyed 3 cardbacks to remove the name plates and sent them away to Palitoy, along with my 30 pence for postage and packing, and then waited... and waited...

I was one of those children who received a postcard from Palitoy (as shown here http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww130/sublevel_photo/DSCN2156.jpg?hotlinkfix=1575250731098 - not my photo) explaining that there would be a delay in the delivery of my figure, which only made the anticipation all the greater! And of course, because this was my first ever mail-away, in my 8-year old ignorance, I expected the figure to be sent on a cardback, just like all the other figures I had seen and bought. And so it was that when, several weeks later, a small white cardboard packet arrived in the post with my name and address on it, I genuinely didn't know what it was. I opened the packet with curiosity more than excitement, and then I saw what was inside! :D

Wonderful stuff! Yes, the figure is a little chunky. Yes, he can have problems holding his rifle. And yes, that rifle is completely wrong (Kenner having cheaped out and donated the equally incorrect Snowtrooper's rifle to our bandaged bounty hunter), but it was still a thing of wonder to the child version of me!

Fast-forward a decade or four and here's the selection I have today. A range of armour shades and skin tones are available across at least 2 similar, but different sculpts, with the darkest armour coming courtesy of our Spanish friends at PBP:
Have you got the 4 line coo version?

Lovely pair of PBP Dengars, Jay. Thanks for sharing :)

Sorry, no I don't have the 4 line version. Do you know if it is visually different to the other Dengars? If it is, I will probably be interested in tracking one down myself. If not, probably not.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Until recently I couldn't of told the difference between any of them apart from the dark armour, but I'll leave it up to you to decide. Pics attached.

Attachments

• ADB6826D-24DE-43C3-AC37-A1B095C50FFF.png
    ADB6826D-24DE-43C3-AC37-A1B095C50FFF.png
    191.7 KB · Views: 848
  • DAF2E84B-02F4-4594-AF02-4FB8C77A306B.png
    DAF2E84B-02F4-4594-AF02-4FB8C77A306B.png
    197.6 KB · Views: 846

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
TheJabbaWookie said:
Until recently I couldn't of told the difference between any of them apart from the dark armour, but I'll leave it up to you to decide. Pics attached.

Thanks. It's difficult to be certain without having one in hand, or seeing a side-by-side comparison pic with some other variants, but on first glance it may be slightly different from those already posted in the thread. Regardless, best of luck in your search for one.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
TheJabbaWookie said:

Thanks. It's difficult to be certain without having one in hand, or seeing a side-by-side comparison pic with some other variants, but on first glance it may be slightly different from those already posted in the thread. Regardless, best of luck in your search for one.

Thanks Jeremy

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:

Nice dengar, that is also a coo that I am missing, thanks for sharing it :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Here are my Dengar Collection, first my moc, my cardback with open bubble and some of my other cardbacks

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

P1190072.JPG

P1190073.JPG

P1190074.JPG

P1190075.JPG

P1190076.JPG

P1190077.JPG

Pomse2001

Grand Master
and last my 20 figures, one of my figures is missing the foot, but I hope I get a better one in the future so I can upgrade it :lol:

I did the pictures of the figures today with flash, flash works ok on dengar, but I still prefer sunlight, but in denmark it is dark today and raining again :lol:

P1190065.JPG

P1190066.JPG

P1190069.JPG

P1190070.JPG

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
and last my 20 figures, one of my figures is missing the foot, but I hope I get a better one in the future so I can upgrade it :lol:

I did the pictures of the figures today with flash, flash works ok on dengar, but I still prefer sunlight, but in denmark it is dark today and raining again :lol:

P1190065.JPG

P1190066.JPG

P1190069.JPG

P1190070.JPG

Another superb collection of cards and figures Lars! And the flash photos came out really well, so congratulations for that too.

As always, thank you for sharing your extremely impressive collection! :)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:

P1190065.JPG

P1190066.JPG

P1190069.JPG

P1190070.JPG

Another superb collection of cards and figures Lars! And the flash photos came out really well, so congratulations for that too.

As always, thank you for sharing your extremely impressive collection! :)

Thanks mate for the very impressive words :D

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
I just thought I'd revisit Dengar. It's a character I've been interested in for the last few months and thought I'd share my research so far. This may be something I do a little more in depth at a later stage but for now.

Family I 1a and 1b (2 line coo) - Smile Factory (HN)
Should be paired with Imperial Hoth Rifle v1 (from TIG)
- The mold was then scarred by Smile and became the European No Coo Family I 2a or 2b

Family II 1a and 1b (3 line coo) - Unitoy Factory (HT)
Should be paired with Imperial Hoth Rifle v4 with circular epm on barrel (from TIG)
- Parts sent to POCH/PBP to be assembled to make POCH Made in Hong Kong 3 line coo
- The molds were then sent to PBP where they were scarred and became the PBP scar no Coo (Dark Armour) Family II 2a, 2b and 2c (scarred no coo; made in scarred no coo and made in on scarred no coo)

Family III 1a and 1b (4 line coo) - Kader Factory (HG)
Should be paired with Imperial Hoth Rifle v2 (from TIG)
- Parts sent to POCH/PBP to be assembled to make POCH Made in Hong Kong 4 line coo

For more info on Dengar coos visit Wolff's website:
https://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/coo-guide-3-0/esb/dengar/#a

For more info on the Imperial Hoth Rifle visit:
https://www.imperialgunnery.com/rifles

For more info on Kenner Star Wars factories visit:
https://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/factory-codes/

*work in progress; happy to update files where advised

Attachments

• 5159524E-D125-4330-A692-B3C69C0B2DF2.jpeg
    5159524E-D125-4330-A692-B3C69C0B2DF2.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 458

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
I just thought I'd revisit Dengar. It's a character I've been interested in for the last few months and thought I'd share my research so far. This may be something I do a little more in depth at a later stage but for now.

- The mold was then scarred by Smile and became the European No Coo Family I 2a or 2b

Should be paired with Imperial Hoth Rifle v4 with circular epm on barrel (from TIG)
- Parts sent to POCH/PBP to be assembled to make POCH Made in Hong Kong 3 line coo
- The molds were then sent to PBP where they were scarred and became the PBP scar no Coo (Dark Armour) Family II 2a, 2b and 2c (scarred no coo; made in scarred no coo and made in on scarred no coo)

- Parts sent to POCH/PBP to be assembled to make POCH Made in Hong Kong 4 line coo

Thanks mate for all the great info and all the great work, now I have to check the ones I have found in childhood collections about I have found them with the correct weapon variant, keep up the great work and thanks for keeping this old threads alive :D

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
TheJabbaWookie said:

Interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing your research.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom