SWTOTW, Week 10, 2020 Emperor's Royal Guard

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Emperor's Royal Guard:

guard.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
The Emperor's Royal Guard. A very popular figure with many collectors, but personally I prefer the character to its figure. I think it's the soft goods cloak which just doesn't look right to me. A nicely sculpted plastic cloak can look so much better (as Hasbro eventually proved on about their fifth attempt at the figure), but perhaps back in Kenner's day this was as good as it was going to get? It's not that I dislike it; I just don't love it.

As for the figure itself, you might be forgiven for thinking there wasn't much scope for variants with it, but you'd be wrong. Across the Hong Kong and Taiwan versions of the figure, there are various shades of red used in the soft goods, different shades of dark red plastic used on the figure's body and limbs, and different shades of bright red plastic used on his helmet. There are also different sculpts to be found, and they're most easily spotted (perhaps unsurprisingly, since it's the most visible part) on his helmet (not that I'm advocating going about with a visible helmet, you understand... *snigger* :lol: ). The moulds are most noticeably different on the width of the visor, and at the base of the 'V' formed on the front of the helmet. However, as is often the case, nothing beats having the figures in hand to really appreciate the differences.

Here are my 5 different loose variants. It's been super hard trying to get the colours consistent across these pictures, as my camera will insist on changing the shades of colour on the same figure from photo to photo, so I've dragged them through Photoshop to try to get them as consistent and true-to-life as I could, with the close-ups being the most accurate.

The Big Red One - 01.jpg

The Big Red One - 02.jpg

The Big Red One - 03.jpg

The Big Red One - 04.jpg

The Big Red One - 05.jpg

The Big Red One - 06.jpg

The Big Red One - 07.jpg

The Big Red One - 08.jpg

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Wow nice collection of loose Royal Guards, here's my 65A Kenner. Great figure this one.

image.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
The Emperor's Royal Guard. A very popular figure with many collectors, but personally I prefer the character to its figure. I think it's the soft goods cloak which just doesn't look right to me. A nicely sculpted plastic cloak can look so much better (as Hasbro eventually proved on about their fifth attempt at the figure), but perhaps back in Kenner's day this was as good as it was going to get? It's not that I dislike it; I just don't love it.

As for the figure itself, you might be forgiven for thinking there wasn't much scope for variants with it, but you'd be wrong. Across the Hong Kong and Taiwan versions of the figure, there are various shades of red used in the soft goods, different shades of dark red plastic used on the figure's body and limbs, and different shades of bright red plastic used on his helmet. There are also different sculpts to be found, and they're most easily spotted (perhaps unsurprisingly, since it's the most visible part) on his helmet (not that I'm advocating going about with a visible helmet, you understand... *snigger* :lol: ). The moulds are most noticeably different on the width of the visor, and at the base of the 'V' formed on the front of the helmet. However, as is often the case, nothing beats having the figures in hand to really appreciate the differences.

Here are my 5 different loose variants. It's been super hard trying to get the colours consistent across these pictures, as my camera will insist on changing the shades of colour on the same figure from photo to photo, so I've dragged them through Photoshop to try to get them as consistent and true-to-life as I could, with the close-ups being the most accurate.

The Big Red One - 01.jpg

The Big Red One - 02.jpg

The Big Red One - 03.jpg

The Big Red One - 04.jpg

The Big Red One - 05.jpg

The Big Red One - 06.jpg

The Big Red One - 07.jpg

The Big Red One - 08.jpg

Wow nice army of Royal Guards, the emperor is very pleased with your army of Royal Guards :wink:

Thanks for sharing them and all the great info about the variants. I like the fabric they used for this figure, it is just like in the movie, royal guard also have fabric cape in the movie. For me plastic cape would have been wrong for this figure :D

emperor.jpeg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
theforceuk said:
Wow nice collection of loose Royal Guards, here's my 65A Kenner. Great figure this one.

image.jpg

Wow that moc is a beauty, thanks for sharing it in the thread :D

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
TheJabbaWookie said:
Are they all HK and Taiwan or do you have the HTF European No Coo? Are you planning to get a Ledy as that is noticeably different in cloak material and shade of helmet I believe?

I'll have to double-check my spread sheet, but I think all 5 of these are Hong Kong and Taiwan COOs. I would only be interested in the Euro No COO if it was visually different to those I already own. However, the Ledy one I do not have, but will now keep an eye out for if it is noticeably different.

Thanks for the heads up :)

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
TheJabbaWookie said:
Are they all HK and Taiwan or do you have the HTF European No Coo? Are you planning to get a Ledy as that is noticeably different in cloak material and shade of helmet I believe?

I'll have to double-check my spread sheet, but I think all 5 of these are Hong Kong and Taiwan COOs. I would only be interested in the Euro No COO if it was visually different to those I already own. However, the Ledy one I do not have, but will now keep an eye out for if it is noticeably different.

Thanks for the heads up :)
Type of material and stitching set it apart. Also there are 3 different shades of staff with two being noticeably darker in colour to the Kenner ones.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
L-R: Hong Kong COO; European No COO; Taiwan

Attachments

• 9220B06E-B310-4E98-B714-AF5DF8337EE7.jpeg
    9220B06E-B310-4E98-B714-AF5DF8337EE7.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 1,013
  • 573EEEA2-4A68-462A-823A-BEA203CD9C03.jpeg
    573EEEA2-4A68-462A-823A-BEA203CD9C03.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 1,010
  • FEFAD765-224E-492D-A706-77C41CE8BB83.jpeg
    FEFAD765-224E-492D-A706-77C41CE8BB83.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,016
  • 967C568D-27B7-4CC8-8C47-598DA312E1FF.jpeg
    967C568D-27B7-4CC8-8C47-598DA312E1FF.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 1,013

katarn

Youngling
Hey guys,
so this seems to be a good opportunity to share my small Royal guard collection with you. The Royal Guard was always on of my favorite figures, the lose ones in the upper shelve are the main coo variants.
Hope you enjoy ;-)

Attachments

• 2018-10-05 EmperorRoyalGuardFocus.jpg
    2018-10-05 EmperorRoyalGuardFocus.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 998

Pomse2001

Grand Master
katarn said:
Hey guys,
so this seems to be a good opportunity to share my small Royal guard collection with you. The Royal Guard was always on of my favorite figures, the lose ones in the upper shelve are the main coo variants.
Hope you enjoy ;-)

Amazing Royal Guard collection 8) It looks awesome, that PBP looks so cool, thanks for sharing this huge collection with us :wink:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Thanks everyone, love the focus. Never really thought about the ERG being on the packaging for the mini rig shuttle.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom