What's the one vintage SW item you wished you had as a kid but never got?

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
Snaketibe said:
bosk70 said:
I must admit that at the time the only clue you had to the more obscure items in the UK was the glimpses we had on the back of the odd kenner card we would find on the peg mixed in with the many Palitoy, in the early days and I always wondered what it would be like to have access to some of the playsets that we just never seemed to have in the shops over here, the sandcrawler play set , I never ever saw that over here or even the sandcrawler ever :) with the limited advertising you have access too as an 7-8-9 year old these small pictures on the back of the kenner cards were very interesting . As a kid you had no idea of Palitoy /Kenner market supply divides or anything like that. It was always the sandcrawler that interested me the most of all the items you never, ever saw in the toy shops in the UK. Don't know if this was any different for any of the other UK , 50 year olds on here ?? :D

My then local toy shop in the small town of Ware in Hertfordshire carried the entire Palitoy Star Wars line in 1978-79. It was actually a tiny shop, but I still managed to get all of the following there (but certainly not all at once!): Palitoy Cantina, Droid Factory, Land of the Jawas, Death Star, Land Speeder, X-Wing Fighter and Darth Vader's TIE Fighter, plus most of the figures (the ones I didn't manage to get there being because they had sold out). I too saw the occasional Kenner cardback (although not in Ware Toy Shop, which seemed to carry exclusively Palitoy branded Star Wars toys) showing the Kenner versions of the playsets, but of course the Sandcrawler proper was never featured on the back of a figure card, only the Land of the Jawas version, and hence I was blissfully ignorant of its existence until the 90's.

In the early days I think the most exotic it got at my local toy shop was Darth Vaders Tie which I eventually got for Christmas, never ever saw a Death Star Play Set, (Palitoy), think I would have remembered that, a few years later I saw a Y Wing and was amazed at it, but that year I think i got the At-At, not disappointed at all that was my fav SW item ever, which seems to be the case for many one here, and as stated here and on previous threads not cheap in the hard pressed early 80's, said it before but hats off to my mum and dad for what they did get for me, never got me the y wing thou :lol:

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Ten Vinyl Cape Jawas :lol:

The only figure I didn't have and would have really liked was Boba Fett. Believe it or not he was a bugger to find round my way in the Empire/Jedi Era. I looked out for him but he was never there. Also never had Luke X-Wing but I had Luke Farmboy, Hoth and Jedi Knight so prob wasn't too bothered. Would've liked an AT-AT. My cousin had one and I thought it was cool, but I had the Falcon and he didn't. No coincidence, I think our mothers must have had a chat about that 8)

UKS

Jedi Knight
I've changed my answer - what I wanted really badly was the micro collection stuff. I had a little Kenner leaflet advertising it but never saw it (obviously!)

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
UKS said:
I've changed my answer - what I wanted really badly was the micro collection stuff. I had a little Kenner leaflet advertising it but never saw it (obviously!)

I never new that stuff existed until eBay came along, I think I would have loved it though as I was well into Micro Machines.

reddogblues

Padawan
For me it was the Laser/Blaster Pistol. I yearned for one of these and searched many toy shops, but never found one. The only time I ever saw one in a shop, was Redgates in Sheffield and I had no idea they existed up to this point. They had the pistol and also the stormtrooper blaster. The pistol was the ESB version with Luke in X-Wing gear on the front and the stormtrooper was the one with the Snowtrooper picture. I remember my parents said it was expensive (£5 I think...) and it could be for Christmas. I never saw one again and so regretted not pestering more for one!
I've added a loose and boxed (Han) pistol in adulthood, but still search for the ESB Luke pistol (which I'm sure was Palitoy) to this day.

DarthStanley

Sith Lord
Supporter
Darth Vader TIE Fighter for me!

Always wanted one as a kid but my dad got me a BD X Wing Fighter,the ****ing knob! :roll:

Things I never knew existed as a kid were the Dewback,Turret/Probot,Sandcrawler,Imperial Attack Base,Death Star,Cloud City & Cantina playsets!

Crumm

Padawan
Falcon and Luke Bespin.

Never got a Falcon, because that was a bigger "Birthday" or "Christmas" list item according to my parents, still never got one though (even though it went on the list about 10 times).

Could never find a Luke Bespin for some reason. I hunted high and low for ages in toy shops. My friend had one and would never trade me it.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
The Pali Death Star. I'm just old enough to have seen it on cardbacks and inserts that were still in the shops but not the toy itself.

pauljs77

I know it's weird but......the Twin Pod Cloud Car I wish I'd had when I reached teenage years and started recollecting at comic book shops and markets in mid 90s.
Was pretty lucky getting all the major machines (AT-AT, Milennium Falcon, Palitoy X-Wing, AT-ST, Snowspeeder).

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
pauljs77 said:
I know it's weird but......the Twin Pod Cloud Car I wish I'd had when I reached teenage years and started recollecting at comic book shops and markets in mid 90s.
Was pretty lucky getting all the major machines (AT-AT, Milennium Falcon, Palitoy X-Wing, AT-ST, Snowspeeder).

Not sure I even new the Twin Pod Cloud Car even existed until the 1990's, I would have wanted one as well though, if I did!

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
theforceuk said:
pauljs77 said:

Not sure I even new the Twin Pod Cloud Car even existed until the 1990's, I would have wanted one as well though, if I did!

The Cloud Car is a bit of a weird one. A toy released for Empire of course, but it didn't do as much as the Snowspeeder, Slave 1 or AT-AT (obviously!)… in fact it didn't really do much at all, plus it was never re-released in Jedi or Tri-Logo packaging, unlike those others. Despite all that however, for some reason I've always loved the thing! I was lucky enough to get one from my local toy shop back in the early 80's, but I can't honestly say that I remember seeing them in the shops near me very often back then. Having said that, when I got back into collecting vintage again in the 90's, there seemed to be loads of loose ones around, and they're still easy to find loose on eBay today (nice packaged ones, not so much!), so perhaps it was more widespread upon its first release than my recollection / experience suggests, or maybe it was more plentiful in some parts of the country than others?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Thinking about it I obviously new about the cloud car pilot, so perhaps I did know about the cloud car vehicle? :?

x-pack

Grand Master
A Jawa. Never ever saw one in shops. Maybe they were more limited in numbers than say, Lando Skiff or something. There were loads of exciting bits and bobs I only realised existed in the early 90s, but top of that 'need to have as a kid' list item is still a Jawa. I really remember looking out for them in toy shops

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
x-pack said:
A Jawa. Never ever saw one in shops. Maybe they were more limited in numbers than say, Lando Skiff or something. There were loads of exciting bits and bobs I only realised existed in the early 90s, but top of that 'need to have as a kid' list item is still a Jawa. I really remember looking out for them in toy shops

Funny how different parts of the country had different stuff. I had 3 Jawas as a kid, even got one on a Meccano card!

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
x-pack said:

Good to see you back posting again :)

x-pack

Grand Master
bosk70 said:
x-pack said:

Good to see you back posting again :)

It's good to be back

x-pack

Grand Master
theforceuk said:
x-pack said:

Funny how different parts of the country had different stuff. I had 3 Jawas as a kid, even got one on a Meccano card!

In the north I personally never saw one. I know that for sure because we would never have left the shop until my dad got his wallet out. Always had an eye out for a Jawa

Jez

Sith Lord
Imperial Troop Transport, simply for the sound effects. I absolutely loved it but never got one.

Jez

Sith Lord
Jez said:
Imperial Troop Transport, simply for the sound effects. I absolutely loved it but never got one.
It's just occurred to me that I never got one! Why the hell not? I've been collecting for 11 years :eek: I'm such a rubbish collector!
Must get one soon :D

Palifan

Sith Lord
Jez said:
Jez said:
It's just occurred to me that I never got one! Why the hell not? I've been collecting for 11 years :eek: I'm such a rubbish collector!
Must get one soon :D

You know I'm exactly the same Jez, I always loved this vehicle but never had one growing up or since. There was a boxed one at FF and I never realised the box was so small with this so it looks like it wouldn't take up to much space either.

maybe one day but I'll let you go first :D

Ian

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom