Forthcoming Vintage Collecting Books

Paddy the Jedi

Padawan
Due to the Lockdown I have become a bit obsessed with my vintage collection again! It's a good thing but also a bad thing as I troll ebay several times a day and purchase more items!!
Wanted to ask - are there any Collecting books focusing on the Vintage Toys due for publication this year or in the future?
I realise that to publish a book can not only be costly but if you decide to go through a publisher you are at their every whim! They might not even publish a book as it might not be financially viable (in their view anyway).
I was really looking forward to Joe's book on Trilogos -A Scaled Galaxy-but haven't heard any more details. I vaguely remember something about a new one which I had seen advertised on Facebook. The Trilogo book would have been fantastic due of course to Joe's extensive knowledge on the subject(I have become addicted to them-not far from owning a full set!)
Looking forward to any information from the very knowledgeable guys on the forum and hope if one is published that I can somehow sneak it into the house and past the wife!!!! Thanks Gary.

Richard_H

Grand Master
I can't see Mattias' book on ESB proof cards and 2D pre-production being too far away. There is another French collectable book coming out but I'm guessing that'll be modern too and not sure if it will be toy related.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Javi was close to finishing the third instalment of the Made in Spain books.

Also a book popped up in my feed a while back on FB by someone like Red 5 books which was meant to be a vintage figure book akin to the Kellerman. Can't find the post now and don't know if anyone else saw it

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
TheJabbaWookie said:

Also a book popped up in my feed a while back on FB by someone like Red 5 books which was meant to be a vintage figure book akin to the Kellerman. Can't find the post now and don't know if anyone else saw it

I also saw the new book that you have mentioned, and I too can't find anything about it now...strange.
It looked good, so I hope that it does get to print and it was a UK company so no daft postage charges either!

Paddy the Jedi

Padawan
I wish I had taken a screen shot of the book on Facebook as I can't find it either! I think this is the book which whetted my appetite the most! Is Todd de Martinis extensive book project obsolete now? Also what about - The Scaled Galaxy book on Trilogos? Thanks guys for the information so far!!

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
TheJabbaWookie said:

It's 'Read Five Designs'. Their facebook page is:

https://www.facebook.com/ReadFiveDesigns/

and their website is:

www.readfive.co.uk/our-book

though I can't check the website as my work's firewall won't let me on it!

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Brilliant thanks for posting. During my search for this post I found the Kickstarter link to Blue Milk's Hasbro Vintage Collection book.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bluemilk/star-wars-the-vintage-collection-archive-edition-book

Interesting that it's the same company and they've recently changed names to Read Five. Looks like this is part dependent on Kickstarter too.

Funny I read it as Red Five assuming the clear Star Wars link :lol:

Paddy the Jedi

Padawan
Thanks very much guys-the Facebook page(Red Five Designs) is the exact one I remember with regard to the vintage book! I hope it gets published although I realise that the Internet is a great resource. However there is a lot to be said for a physical book and being able to flick through it when needed!!
Sorry for asking again - did Joe's Trilogo book get close to being published or was it cost prohibitive? I would imagine that it would have been a classic!! Joe's knowledge on the subject is encyclopedic! The website is fantastic also!!

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Thanks very much for this. I will definitely be buying a copy of the book if it gets published, and I must say that the figure posters which are already available look fabulous! I will certainly be buying myself a set of those as well :-D

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
Their website is here:

https://www.readfive.co.uk/our-book?fbclid=IwAR2Y9jZo3NUlkFVMyWSw1qjotvZOZ0OqTTXBJhzpW8hq1wzLotQoYSaSFDM

Looks very promising.
I'll be in for that.
I seem to remember the kickstarter campaign was put on hold due to the corona.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
My posters arrived today, well packed in a strong cardboard tube. The designs are brilliant, albeit the 'Star Wars' version is a little eccentric in that they have manipulated the figure images in Photoshop to give them a slightly 'water colour' appearance to try to ape the design of the painted figures on the reverse of the original 12 backs. It looks a little odd, but it's good.

As for print and paper quality, the paper has more of a soft sheen finish to it rather than a shiny finish like most posters you buy, but that's not really an issue. The printing is very good too, so no marks off for that either. Two of my posters did have a slightly crumpled bottom corner, which is slightly annoying in a brand new poster, especially as it certainly did not occur during transit as all three posters were rolled up together and one of them has no such damage, and therefore they must have been like that before they were packed. That said, neither is damaged badly enough for me to ask for a replacement, it's just a slight annoyance.

The posters themselves are A1 in size and would look great on a wall or door. They are £14.99 each, or all 3 for £29.97, with free UK delivery (and no, I'm not on commission! :lol: ).

If you're considering buying one (or all three), I would say go for it.

Here they are, plus a close-up of the 'water colour' effect:

ROJ - 03.jpg

ESB - 02.jpg

SW - 01a.jpg

SW - 01b.jpg

The kickstarter is in full swing and we had them on the Paliboys livestream. We are regularly updating the totals on the stream and I've bought 5 books myself. Back it now as it won't be on sale after. Ewoks and Droids now added and sticker sheets will be provided for cardbacks that come to light after publication, making it fully updatable.
Check the livestream here  www.youtube.com/c/BlueHarvestVintageToys
And back the book on kickstarter.
I'm not involved, just want this amazing book.
Marc

Palifan

Sith Lord
Blueharvestleeds said:
The kickstarter is in full swing and we had them on the Paliboys livestream. We are regularly updating the totals on the stream and I've bought 5 books myself. Back it now as it won't be on sale after. Ewoks and Droids now added and sticker sheets will be provided for cardbacks that come to light after publication, making it fully updatable.
Check the livestream here  www.youtube.com/c/BlueHarvestVintageToys
And back the book on kickstarter.
I'm not involved, just want this amazing book.
Marc

I'm getting confused a bit with these two book (maybe it would have been better to have separate threads?), which one have you bought 5 copies of, the Vintage Collection one or the actual Vintage figures one?

Both are nice but I was just wondering (the Vintage Collection is trying to get $50K to get it made which does seem to be pretty high).

Ian

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom