Childhood Toy shop

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I posted about this before in a couple of other threads: https://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34058&hilit=vintage+toyshops&start=15

It's the toy shop in my hometown in Essex I used to visit a lot and get most of my Star Wars toys from in the 80's, Peter Jones. I've been looking out for an example of a price sticker or trying to find an item or cardback from that shop for a good ten years now. Even just to confirm what the price sticker looked like, I didn't even know if it had the name of the shop on it or not. I've never seen anything or found anyone who could tell me what they looked like. Well, something amazing happened this week which ended my search!!

A friend alerted me to a new FB page about the the town I grew up in and people post old photos and discuss things and search for people etc. So I decided to make a post about the toy shop, just to see if I could get any photos of the shop or info about anyone who worked there at that time, find anything out about the price stickers. To my surprise I got several interesting comments from a couple of people who worked there and one woman even told me the names of the manager and some other people who worked there in the 80's.

Then, a guy comments that he used to be in there every weekend and that's where he got a lot of his Star Wars toys from. I send him a PM and we start chatting and reminiscing and then he astonishes me by saying he has an almost complete cardback collection of his childhood figures :shock: I almost fell over. I asked him about the price stickers and he said he wasn't sure and would have to have a look and get back to me. I was hopeful but it seemed too good to be true so I just kept my fingers crossed that he would.

A couple of days later I received the following, 21 photos of vintage cardbacks with either Peter Jones or Pope and Smith LTD price stickers!!! (Pope and Smith LTD was another toy shop in the town). I couldn't ****ing believe it. Sadly, he's not willing to part with any. I'm gutted but I understand. The only figure I still have from childhood is my Squid Head and he has a Squid Head card from that very shop mine came from. What I would give to have it! At least I now know what they look like and that they exist with the name on them, so I'm over the moon and the search continues to acquire one :)

IMG_0299.PNG

IMG_0276.JPG

IMG_0289.JPG

IMG_0280.JPG

IMG_0272.JPG

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Andy, what a brilliant story! Shame he won't let any go- have you asked if he would let you have an individual sticker?

Would love a price sticker from my favourite childhood toy shop- GW Hurley in Burnham-on -Sea. Used to go when we visited my Gran. Never, ever seen a price sticker, but you've given me hope! :)

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Cazza said:
Andy, what a brilliant story! Shame he won't let any go- have you asked if he would let you have an individual sticker?

Would love a price sticker from my favourite childhood toy shop- GW Hurley in Burnham-on -Sea. Used to go when we visited my Gran. Never, ever seen a price sticker, but you've given me hope! :)

I know, it's amazing isn't it. Bitter sweet. I'd love to buy one but I'm just so happy to have seen one and confirmed it. Same as you I'd never ever come across one but they are out there and the GW Hurley one does exist somewhere. If we both look out for both we'll double the chance! 8)

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Robstyley said:
Cazza said:

I know, it's amazing isn't it. Bitter sweet. I'd love to buy one but I'm just so happy to have seen one and confirmed it. Same as you I'd never ever come across one but they are out there and the GW Hurley one does exist somewhere. If we both look out for both we'll double the chance! 8)

Thanks mate, much appreciated! Hopefully another Peter Jones one will turn up too...

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
Tesco In Sutton was my local, I got an AT-AT from there Christmas 1982.

Bought myself a boxed one a couple of years ago, has a £24.99 Tesco price sticker on it, same price my Dad paid for it back then.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Great story Robstyley and the hunt will just have to go on. Funny enoough I am a member of a price sticker group on Facebook and noticed that a member posted some MOCs that were listed on ebay, one with my childhood toy shop price sticker on it. I'm lucky enough to still have a lot of card backs with my childhood shop price stickers on, but I really want a MOC! The post on Facebook was a while ago so the trail is dead, but I will keep looking.

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
What a cracking thread Rob - great result. I think this hammers home why some of us collect, the nostalgia, that connection with our childhood and the memories we have of happy times :)

I generally don't collect anything that is outside the UK in terms of brands BUT there is the odd exception, like this re-seal Twin Pod with a Lewis's price label. There were apparantly more than one of these department stores in the north west but the one in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent is the one I have very vivid and happy memories of all the way through my childhood and teens. It was an amazing place, over 3 floors that sold absolutely everything and an enourmous restaurant. I remember getting my Ugnaught from there, along with much of my Lego and Transformers.

When it closed and became a Debenhams in 1998, Hanley was never quite the same.

Attachments

• DSCN7277.JPG
    DSCN7277.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 1,444
  • DSCN7278.JPG
    DSCN7278.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 1,450
  • 87729887_2987900657959220_7022491289551634432_o.jpg
    87729887_2987900657959220_7022491289551634432_o.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,448

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Loved the Lewis' in Birmingham. Bought an ESB Stormtrooper there, just before closing time. I saw LOADS of ESB 6-packs. They had both types. Never saw them anywhere ever again until I started collecting. Fetch crazy money now!

Leemcl

Jedi Master
Cazza said:

Oh my f**king days ! Lol. Just about 3 weeks ago I was researching that very shop in Burnham!

We lived near there for a few years and My brother and I would go there for toys and books between 1984 & 86. I remember it both well and vaguely, does that make any sense ?

My brother used to love looking at the Doctor Who target books and I used to love popping up stairs to the toys. I'm pretty sure I got Han Trench Coat in there...... like you mate would love to grab a Cardback with a price sticker on it !

Thanks for the memories guys.

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
GW Hurley is still going strong in Burnham, I've been in numerous times with my kids buying toys.

The places I recall buying Star Wars are a small department store in Teignmouth (South Devon) where we were living, Tesco in Newton Abbot, and Exeter Pram & Toy Shop. I'd love to find anything with an Exeter Pram & Toy Shop sticker one day.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Leemcl said:
Cazza said:

Oh my f**king days ! Lol. Just about 3 weeks ago I was researching that very shop in Burnham!

We lived near there for a few years and My brother and I would go there for toys and books between 1984 & 86. I remember it both well and vaguely, does that make any sense ?

My brother used to love looking at the Doctor Who target books and I used to love popping up stairs to the toys. I'm pretty sure I got Han Trench Coat in there...... like you mate would love to grab a Cardback with a price sticker on it !

Thanks for the memories guys.

Leemcl remember the lion on the stairs? Still there! Up the stairs, turn right and go into the front corner, in the window. SW, Action Man, Scalextric heaven! Definitely bought my Leia Hoth there and probably others as well.

There was another shop I used to like- turn left out of Hurley's, go to the end of the High St, turn right up towards the front and it was there. Remember buying Corgi cars and Action Force in there.

Andy_Preston , yes, been back a few times. Exchanged messages with them (they were pretty helpful), but they don't have any old rolls of price stickers :lol: Could kick myself though... went in a few years ago and they had an old shelving unit with a big ESB POS sticker on the top. It was shiny like the old football stickers. Was quite worn, but I'm sure they would've let me have it, if I'd asked. The next time I went back, it had gone and when I asked about it, the lady I spoke to was really stroppy.

Alisdairmac

Jedi Knight
Supporter
I had a look through my cardbacks and I do t have any that you guys are looking for. I did have an Exeter toy and pram shop sticker but let someone else have it who was interested in the shop. I e go this lewis's bag and a few sticker from there. As you say they had a few department shops around the country

Attachments

• IMG_20200525_201418.jpg
    IMG_20200525_201418.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 1,092

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Wow! Cheers for all the posts. I really find all this stuff fascinating and love hearing others stories about their toyshops etc. Those lucky enough to have examples really are fortunate, especially from one offs or small chainstores.

SublevelStudios I know that feeling of the department store Mark. We had a big one in Southend called Keddies which had a fat toy department. I think they used to have Star Wars promotions and events there. Great memories, it seemed massive at the time. I got lost in there once for an hour when I was three and there was a dozen people looking for me! But nothing gets me like Peter Jones, that was the one. One day I'll find something :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom