SWTOTW, Week 24, 2020 Han Solo (Hoth Outfit)

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Great figure. Ace collections Andy spoons and Jeremy Snaketibe.

I'm laid up with a gammy back at the moment so can't photograph mine. I'll add when I can but nothing as spectacular as either of you two sadly. I'd love to get my hands on a Molded legs, a purple jacket, and a chocolate legs.

What I can add is a little information.
Family I (2 line Coo with large copyright) was made in the Unitoy factory. This figure came with the v2 blaster from the TIG website. It is easily identified by its elongated thumb on the right hand.

I believe Unitoy stopped making Han Hoth from the 65c Emperor offer onwards. At this point the Unitoy moulds were sent to Kader and they released a no Coo version (which I believe) can be found in the US on Kenner 65c cards and onwards. They were also released for the European market. This figure is often found with a blue / black rather than black Kader v4/v5 blaster instead of the blue v2 blaster. You can see an example of this in Spoons' China baggie with double weapons error.

The dark tan pants variant was also produced by Unitoy (though I haven't yet determined which card Back they appear on being at the start of my research).

Family II (2 line Coo with small copyright) was made in the Smile factory. This figure came with the v1 blaster from the TIG website. They also made a no Coo version for the European market.

Family III (5 line Coo) was made in the Kader factory. This figure came with the v4 and v5 Blasters from the TIG website.

It is the Kader factory that is responsible for the moulded legs Han Hoth Figure.

Parts were also sent to POCH and painted to produce the chocolate legs Han Hoth variant. Later the moulds were sent to PBP and scarred to produce the PBP variants including the purple jacket variant.

*ref pics from Wolff's Coo guide and TIG's weapon guide

Attachments

• CA4FBE2A-9B4F-469A-8B01-48649B94760D.jpeg
    CA4FBE2A-9B4F-469A-8B01-48649B94760D.jpeg
    49.4 KB · Views: 894
  • AE871EC1-5F2F-4BEB-80EC-BB3EC465A644.png
    AE871EC1-5F2F-4BEB-80EC-BB3EC465A644.png
    206.5 KB · Views: 896

spoons

Grand Master
Thats interesting TheJabbaWookie - I've never really paid much heed to facotries. The onyl hting I'm ocnfused about is if you are saying Kader only released HH from 65C onwards?

The moulded legs is a 31 back release so the first or second Han Hoth on the market - there is also a non-moulded 31 back so not sure which factory made which. I'm sure you do :)

Dark tan pants is a Palitoy/Euro release (tri-logo maybe?) and also found on two packs from Euro stock.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I too can add to this one but not to the degree that others have done for this figure.
There are so lovely examples of this figure in collections and of course his great ability to holster his blaster.

Attachments

• F02E8B16-61B2-42E1-B5F6-81E076074222.jpeg
    F02E8B16-61B2-42E1-B5F6-81E076074222.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 879
  • C2D2A47D-3DA1-45FA-99FB-AF0FAB919021.jpeg
    C2D2A47D-3DA1-45FA-99FB-AF0FAB919021.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 882

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
spoons said:
Thats interesting @TheJabbaWookie - I've never really paid much heed to facotries. The onyl hting I'm ocnfused about is if you are saying Kader only released HH from 65C onwards?

The moulded legs is a 31 back release so the first or second Han Hoth on the market - there is also a non-moulded 31 back so not sure which factory made which. I'm sure you do :)

Dark tan pants is a Palitoy/Euro release (tri-logo maybe?) and also found on two packs from Euro stock.
No all three factories released from 31 back. But the Unitoy mould was sent to Kader to make the Made in China baggie figure and the no Coo version of the Unitoy Figure.

From my research this is not the only time this has happened. The Zuckuss Figure moulds were also sent to Kader and the figure can be found on 65c Kenner cards onwards as well as in made in China baggies.

And Jon Meade has shown that the same thing happened with Yoda.

spoons

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
spoons said:
Thats interesting @TheJabbaWookie - I've never really paid much heed to facotries. The onyl hting I'm ocnfused about is if you are saying Kader only released HH from 65C onwards?

No all three factories released from 31 back. But the Unitoy mould was sent to Kader to make the Made in China baggie figure and the no Coo version of the Unitoy Figure.

From my research this is not the only time this has happened. The Zuckuss Figure moulds were also sent to Kader and the figure can be found on 65c Kenner cards onwards as well as in made in China baggies.

And Jon Meade has shown that the same thing happened with Yoda.

That makes sense! Thanks

And two lovely Hans Nick, a normal amount to own :)

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Mini99 said:
I too can add to this one but not to the degree that others have done for this figure.
There are so lovely examples of this figure in collections and of course his great ability to holster his blaster.

And another two lovely examples from you too, Nick!

I'm loving the contributions to this thread so far. Let's hope it continues :)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
spoons said:
Hooray! One I can help with

Here's all my Kenner

Will post some more up after others chime in

Wow andy that is an amazing solo collection, so do you have a solo hoth focus ? :lol: just joking. Not to be rude but if you get the time then I would love to se the cards from the back in the same order as you shared them from the front, it could be cool to see which back variants that there is and what types of stickers that is on some of them on the back 8)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
spoons said:
Close ups and a few more in this thread https://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29058&p=389453&hilit=Han+hoths#p389453

ok forget about the pictures I asked for in the last post, I guess that they are in this thread on the link :lol:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Cazza said:
Here are mine- my loose childhood figure and my 41-bk Palitoy MOC purchased in around 1994-5.

20200615_155247.jpg

thanks for sharing your solo hoth collection, that moc is a beauty love the palitoy logo and a nice mint figure.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Some great examples, no wonder he's so hard to find MOC spoons ! :lol: Amazing focus you have.

Here is my Kenner 31 A and childhood loose.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Han Solo (Hoth Outfit). A truly essential figure for any young boy in 1980 who had seen 'The Empire Strikes Back'! It was one of the first wave of ten figures released for that film by Kenner, and it was a great one.... The colour they gave Han's jacket... not so much :lol:. For an entire generation of fans, Kenner's incorrect colour choice for Han Hoth's jacket had us all convinced for decades that Harrison Ford wore blue in that film, when he did nothing of the sort! Han Hoth's jacket is, was and always will be brown, not blue... but try convincing die-hard 'blue-ists' of that! :lol:

Kenner's colour blindness aside, this really is a great figure. He looks like Han, you can shove him in a tauntaun, he comes with the right gun... what more could a child want? :-D Well, if I'm nitpicking, the ability to hold his weapon would be nice if you're talking about my childhood one, as his grip could barely manage it! A fact I guess Kenner became aware of, as later (I assume they were later at any rate) sculpts had the thumb modified by lengthening it so as to remedy that particular shortcoming.

This figure holds a special place in my affection. Growing up, my family was not very well off, and so for a Star Wars mad young boy like me back in 1980, Christmases and birthdays were a very big deal! They were a golden opportunity to rapidly expand one's collection and gain a bit of cash in readiness to hand it over to George Lucas. My uncle was a self-made man and (compared to us at least), much better off, and his presents to us were always great :-D. However, in an uncharacteristically unmercenary act on my part, when he asked me what I wanted for Christmas in 1980, I only asked for one thing; Han Hoth! I hadn't managed to track him down in the shops at a time which coincided with me having the funds to buy one, and so I asked my uncle to get me one. Bear in mind that at the time new figures were of the order of £1.25 - £1.50 each, and my uncle was used to spending more than that on my brothers and me, but that's all I requested that year. And so when Christmas arrived, a brand new shiny Palitoy Han Hoth duly became mine! However, even though that's all I'd asked for, my excellent uncle decided to add a box of Maltesers and a cheque for £7.50 to my stocking as well! Bonus! :-D :-D :-D

Sadly, I stupidly parted with my childhood figures when I was still a child, but I never forgot my original Han Hoth, and even though I didn't keep my cardbacks either (my mother would never have tolerated me keeping 'rubbish' the toy came in), when I started collecting again in the 90's, it was high on my wants list. And a few years later when funds allowed, I also targeted a 30-back, which I'm pretty sure is what my uncle bought me.

Anyway, here are my 9 loose Han Hoths. Hopefully Andy (Spoons) will soon put this little lot to shame :-D, however in the meantime, there are lots of different variants to be had with this figure. There are different sculpts (including the aforementioned thumb, and also belt buckle and neck scarf), obviously different leg colours, including a chocolate legs Poch (not to be confused - as many an eBay auction does - with the more common dark legs variants), a tan-moulded legs variant, and other shades. He comes with a rainbow of different face paint shades, and there is also the famous PBP 'purple' jacket version (which isn't really purple at all, but it is a clearly different shade of blue to the others). And lastly, there's also that 30-back.

And Maltesers Too - 01.jpg

And Maltesers Too - 02.jpg

And Maltesers Too - 03.jpg

And Maltesers Too - 04.jpg

And Maltesers Too - 05.jpg

fantastic story about your uncle and that solo hoth figure :D thanks for sharing your fantastic army of solo hoth variants and that cool palitoy moc 8)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
spoons said:
Thats a great story @Snaketibe Jeremy, my favourite figure as a kid too but I dont really have anything to add to my story :lol:

Your 30 back is lovely, mine is creased with a yellow bubble and as for vairants you win there! The one loose figure I have that I dont think you do is this error. Odd legs and no paint ap to the front. A real Friday afternoon job

3C46704E-2800-4913-8729-5929B079718C.jpg

loose leg colour variations

46256CE5-4CDA-41F9-B003-2C90C37C06ED.jpg

and other loose Han Hoths

7C37FFAE-F8CD-4D49-9C3A-64880F50831B.jpg

Wow andy, awesome variants, thanks for sharing them. Does it ever stop how much more solo hoth do you have ? :shock:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
Great figure. Ace collections Andy @spoons and Jeremy @Snaketibe.

I'm laid up with a gammy back at the moment so can't photograph mine. I'll add when I can but nothing as spectacular as either of you two sadly. I'd love to get my hands on a Molded legs, a purple jacket, and a chocolate legs.

What I can add is a little information.
Family I (2 line Coo with large copyright) was made in the Unitoy factory. This figure came with the v2 blaster from the TIG website. It is easily identified by its elongated thumb on the right hand.

I believe Unitoy stopped making Han Hoth from the 65c Emperor offer onwards. At this point the Unitoy moulds were sent to Kader and they released a no Coo version (which I believe) can be found in the US on Kenner 65c cards and onwards. They were also released for the European market. This figure is often found with a blue / black rather than black Kader v4/v5 blaster instead of the blue v2 blaster. You can see an example of this in Spoons' China baggie with double weapons error.

The dark tan pants variant was also produced by Unitoy (though I haven't yet determined which card Back they appear on being at the start of my research).

Family II (2 line Coo with small copyright) was made in the Smile factory. This figure came with the v1 blaster from the TIG website. They also made a no Coo version for the European market.

Family III (5 line Coo) was made in the Kader factory. This figure came with the v4 and v5 Blasters from the TIG website.

It is the Kader factory that is responsible for the moulded legs Han Hoth Figure.

Parts were also sent to POCH and painted to produce the chocolate legs Han Hoth variant. Later the moulds were sent to PBP and scarred to produce the PBP variants including the purple jacket variant.

*ref pics from Wolff's Coo guide and TIG's weapon guide

Thanks mate for all the great info, I can't wait to see your collection :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Mini99 said:

Thanks mate for sharing your beautiful moc and a nice mint figure

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
theforceuk said:
Some great examples, no wonder he's so hard to find MOC @spoons ! :lol: Amazing focus you have.

Here is my Kenner 31 A and childhood loose.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Fantastic stuff! Thanks for sharing :)

spoons

Grand Master
Pomse2001 said:
spoons said:
Close ups and a few more in this thread https://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29058&p=389453&hilit=Han+hoths#p389453

ok forget about the pictures I asked for in the last post, I guess that they are in this thread on the link :lol:

Ha ha - was just about to send you there

Thanks for the nice words Lars, and two very mice Hans theforceuk

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Pomse2001 said:
Ha, it's not really a collection. He's just one of the figures I've just started collecting the variants for.

Just these 5 so far. L-R: Smile (2 line Coo); Smile Euro No Coo; Unitoy (2 line Coo; Dark pants); Unitoy (No Coo; packed on Kader cards & China baggies); PBP (Pink Face)

Attachments

• F6932277-EA5C-40B6-BC80-B25328526F25.jpeg
    F6932277-EA5C-40B6-BC80-B25328526F25.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 709

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
Pomse2001 said:
Ha, it's not really a collection. He's just one of the figures I've just started collecting the variants for.

Just these 5 so far. L-R: Smile (2 line Coo); Smile Euro No Coo; Unitoy (2 line Coo; Dark pants); Unitoy (No Coo; packed on Kader cards & China baggies); PBP (Pink Face)

Now we can call it an army there is 5 :D cool collection that you have, thanks for sharing it and thanks for the info about them :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom