Sith Lord
r68v15l.jpg

ZOkGA5Z.jpg

ytVgRNH.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
walkie said:
Thinking about pledging your support to a book backed by repro makers?, then think again...

images

For those that don't know thefansstrikeback sell the smithlord range of repro accessories and figures like the luke stormtrooper, yakface and blue snag. An example of these repros are below...

Ouch!... That's not good :-(

That's like Greenpeace accepting a donation from the Japanese Whaling Company.

lejackal

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
walkie said:
Thinking about pledging your support to a book backed by repro makers?, then think again...

images

For those that don't know thefansstrikeback sell the smithlord range of repro accessories and figures like the luke stormtrooper, yakface and blue snag. An example of these repros are below...

Apparently he takes new photos and sells them as vintage work anyway so I doubt he actually cares

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
lejackal said:
Snaketibe said:
walkie said:

images

Apparently he takes new photos and sells them as vintage work anyway so I doubt he actually cares

Perhaps not. It might however have a bearing on how some potential customers of his book feel about buying it.

lejackal

Grand Master
Yes, I hope so. I've highlighted this issue on his page and he has said he's trying to find a way around it but I won't hold my breath

walkie

Sith Lord
It's very good news and I'm happy that the majority of the community felt the same way.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
lejackal said:
Yes, I hope so. I've highlighted this issue on his page and he has said he's trying to find a way around it but I won't hold my breath

Excellent work, Carl! This is definitely the right outcome for his book and the community.

Jeremy

lejackal

Grand Master
Sadly it appears that Kim/Justin essentially lied, which given they allegedly take new photos and pass them off as vintage to ensure they always have fresh content, shouldn't come as a surprise.

I got one won't be buying this book.

1CA20FA8-0E65-4605-8405-3CE9F092895B.jpeg

660D7163-3C05-4E0D-AB5B-36C6830B082C.jpeg

C3C76FE1-28DC-47DB-B34B-E9E4CA1AF079.jpeg

walkie

Sith Lord
I was just about to post those images Carl and there's zero chance i will now be helping fund the project.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Well this is all turning out to be a complete mess and I was on the fence with this book due to the price it will cost to get it to the Uk but this had pretty much made my mind up to forget about it. I feel all the fun is getting taken away at this point and I'll make do with all the other vintage SW books I already have so it's really no big loss.

It's a shame that books of interest are costing so much now a days as it does force people into being very choosy.

Ian

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I'm glad they are encouraging 'everyone to think for themselves'. For myself, I think they can forget about me buying this book, even if the price drops.

I've never previously considered myself to be part of the 'anti-repro orthodoxy' or a 'repro zealot', but I do consider myself to be someone who's sick to the back teeth of repro garbage polluting this hobby, making it harder and harder to obtain and identify genuine vintage items, especially weapons, just because some greedy unscrupulous little shits think it's a great idea to flood the market with fake items which are clearly designed to be as close to vintage originals as possible. If that makes me 'orthodox' or a 'zealot', then so be it. There are far worse things to be...

cracatilla

Padawan
Supporter
Really enjoyed the first one but won't be getting this one because of these shenanigans.
Thanks to all involved for bringing this to everyone's attention

jared007

Padawan
I believe the main issue with accepting that repro company donation was soley because of the pledge level they bought. It was the executive producer level which meant they would have their repro company logo prominently displayed on the back cover. This would of course buy them good promotion of their company and items that we all feel destroys and weakens our hobby. If the donation was accepted, then it would slant towards credence/acceptance from the vintage community through endorsement from this particular book.

For me, Kim did the right thing once he was alerted to who the company actually is and what they do. End result being they will not be having that executive level spot anymore.

If the people behind that company do love the hobby, and believe in the book then they can of course donate at any other pledge level without getting the publicity that was the basis of the original gripe. They may have already done this now and it would be perfectly fine in my view. It's just a regular civilian pledge to get the book committed.

Anyway, I've just checked the kickstarter this afternoon and looks like Kim is home and hosed. The target has been reached - the book will come out.

Cheers, Jared.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom