SWTOTW, Week 27, 2020 Death Squad Commander / Star Destroyer Commander

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Death Squad Commander / Star Destroyer Commander:

01.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
The 'Death Squad Commander', aka the 'Oh ****, 'Death Squad' Sounds A Bit More Nazi Than We Intended, So Let's Rename Him 'Star Destroyer Commander' Even Though He's No Such Thing' :-D

Of course these days Lucasfilm have renamed this particular Officer the 'Imperial Navy Trooper' or 'Death Star Trooper', but actually the renaming of this figure is the least of its problems, IMHO. As a kid in the 1970's, this was easily my least favourite of the original 12 figures. I didn't really remember it from the film (which isn't surprising, considering Kenner really screwed the pooch on his uniform's colour, which should actually be black and not grey), plus I spent hours scratching my head wondering why he wasn't Grand Moff Tarkin instead, and quite frankly I found it a bit boring as well. The picture on the cardback didn't help as they chose the Galaxy's oldest pensioner (and one wearing space headphones to boot), to illustrate the figure, which hardly increased my excitement levels.

Renamed Commander - 12.jpg

On the plus side, Palitoy brought the character to life on one of the panels of their excellent Death Star playset where they stood him before 5 of his clones, 4 of which they seated in transparent space eggs... Don't believe me?:

Renamed Commander - 11.jpg

This was also the figure everyone tried to (or wished they could) customise into a Rebel Fleet Trooper, on account of the unusual shape of his massive helmet (insert sniggering schoolboy joke here). But massive or not, his helmet was still the wrong shape and looked more like a weird ladies' hairstyle than a giant upside down wok.

Anyway, enough abuse of a 43 year-old toy sculpt! Dull or not, this figure has plenty of variants :-D. There are at least a couple of admittedly pretty similar sculpts, but his rank bar comes in all manner of different shades of blue and red. It can even be found in just red, just blue, or missing entirely. The latter is definitely a bona fide variant, but I'm still not 100% convinced on the solo colour versions, as they may simply be due to one colour rubbing off preferentially. However, my two examples don't seem to have any of the missing colour left on them at all, so in the absence of evidence to the contrary, I am classing them as variants for now. His grey torso is prone to yellowing on certain COO's, but despite that there are also different shades of grey to be found, especially (and most famously) on the dark grey Lili Ledy variant (far right in the line-up below), plus his face paint apps have some variety too, including a mega eyebrows version :lol:. And then there's the PBP 'Disco Boots' variant, with his 1970's platform soles. Sadly that's a variant I do not own, but perhaps another forum member can assist with that particular fashion disaster?

Anyway, here are my 9 different DSC's:

Renamed Commander - 01.jpg

Renamed Commander - 02.jpg

Renamed Commander - 03.jpg

Renamed Commander - 04.jpg

quins

Padawan
Supporter
I liked this figure as a kid.
Was always on the rebel side though when playing
Got a loose i will try and get a photo of and this is the next moc on my list of wants!
Great stuff Snakebite!

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Snaketibe said:
Thanks everyone :)

Anyone else have some to share?

I've got a Kenner 12 back MOC to add, will do it later in the week. Would like a Meccano MOC, but who wouldn't?! :lol:

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Forgot I have pics of my 12 back to hand. It's a 1SW12B . Nice MOC. Shame the blaster is loose in the bubble.

Attachments

• A6A81FA4-2A9F-482C-9815-991F78E31A0B.jpeg
    A6A81FA4-2A9F-482C-9815-991F78E31A0B.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 1,175
  • 68266C61-B14C-4703-9DE9-46321E3562CE.jpeg
    68266C61-B14C-4703-9DE9-46321E3562CE.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 1,173

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
The 'Death Squad Commander', aka the 'Oh ****, 'Death Squad' Sounds A Bit More Nazi Than We Intended, So Let's Rename Him 'Star Destroyer Commander' Even Though He's No Such Thing' :-D

Of course these days Lucasfilm have renamed this particular Officer the 'Imperial Navy Trooper' or 'Death Star Trooper', but actually the renaming of this figure is the least of its problems, IMHO. As a kid in the 1970's, this was easily my least favourite of the original 12 figures. I didn't really remember it from the film (which isn't surprising, considering Kenner really screwed the pooch on his uniform's colour, which should actually be black and not grey), plus I spent hours scratching my head wondering why he wasn't Grand Moff Tarkin instead, and quite frankly I found it a bit boring as well. The picture on the cardback didn't help as they chose the Galaxy's oldest pensioner (and one wearing space headphones to boot), to illustrate the figure, which hardly increased my excitement levels.

Renamed Commander - 12.jpg

On the plus side, Palitoy brought the character to life on one of the panels of their excellent Death Star playset where they stood him before 5 of his clones, 4 of which they seated in transparent space eggs... Don't believe me?:

Renamed Commander - 11.jpg

This was also the figure everyone tried to (or wished they could) customise into a Rebel Fleet Trooper, on account of the unusual shape of his massive helmet (insert sniggering schoolboy joke here). But massive or not, his helmet was still the wrong shape and looked more like a weird ladies' hairstyle than a giant upside down wok.

Anyway, enough abuse of a 43 year-old toy sculpt! Dull or not, this figure has plenty of variants :-D. There are at least a couple of admittedly pretty similar sculpts, but his rank bar comes in all manner of different shades of blue and red. It can even be found in just red, just blue, or missing entirely. The latter is definitely a bona fide variant, but I'm still not 100% convinced on the solo colour versions, as they may simply be due to one colour rubbing off preferentially. However, my two examples don't seem to have any of the missing colour left on them at all, so in the absence of evidence to the contrary, I am classing them as variants for now. His grey torso is prone to yellowing on certain COO's, but despite that there are also different shades of grey to be found, especially (and most famously) on the dark grey Lili Ledy variant (far right in the line-up below), plus his face paint apps have some variety too, including a mega eyebrows version :lol:. And then there's the PBP 'Disco Boots' variant, with his 1970's platform soles. Sadly that's a variant I do not own, but perhaps another forum member can assist with that particular fashion disaster?

Anyway, here are my 9 different DSC's:

Renamed Commander - 01.jpg

Renamed Commander - 02.jpg

Renamed Commander - 03.jpg

Renamed Commander - 04.jpg

Ok I think this is the first time you do not have any good things to write about a figure :lol: I only had one of him when I was a kid and I was so bussy playing with him that I must admit that it was first when I got to old to play with him that I noticed he has the wrong colour :lol:

Anyway great collection that you have and thanks for sharing it :D

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Here's my Kenner 12b, the figure had really bad frosting when I purchased it. I did the direct sunlight trick and it worked a treat, must be 10 years ago. Ok it's a boring figure but I really do like the Star Wars MOC of this figure, looks top notch to me. :D

image.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
theforceuk said:
Here's my Kenner 12b, the figure had really bad frosting when I purchased it. I did the direct sunlight trick and it worked a treat, must be 10 years ago. Ok it's a boring figure but I really do like the Star Wars MOC of this figure, looks top notch to me. :D

image.jpg

Another great MOC! Congratulations on successfully 'defrosting' it... which makes it sound a bit like a turkey :lol:

Thanks for sharing :)

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Snaketibe said:
theforceuk said:

image.jpg

Another great MOC! Congratulations on successfully 'defrosting' it... which makes it sound a bit like a turkey :lol:

Thanks for sharing :)

Thanks and yes defrosted sounds wrong! :lol:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
Forgot I have pics of my 12 back to hand. It's a 1SW12B . Nice MOC. Shame the blaster is loose in the bubble.

Wow that is a beautiful moc that you have there, thanks for sharing it :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
theforceuk said:

image.jpg

Another beautiful moc, thanks mate for sharing it :D and a cool story about the sunlight trick :wink: Was it cheaper to buy it frosting ? :D

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
theforceuk said:

image.jpg

Another beautiful moc, thanks mate for sharing it :D and a cool story about the sunlight trick :wink: Was it cheaper to buy it frosting ? :D

Yes thanks Pomse2001 it was cheap, I think I paid £180 for it already graded. As I said though 10 years ago, think I bought it from someone who lived not that far from me at the time and I met him in a garden centre car park and handed over the cash!

Pomse2001

Grand Master
theforceuk said:
Pomse2001 said:
theforceuk said:

image.jpg

Yes thanks @Pomse2001 it was cheap, I think I paid £180 for it already graded. As I said though 10 years ago, think I bought it from someone who lived not that far from me at the time and I met him in a garden centre car park and handed over the cash!

Great story, thanks for sharing it :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom