SWTOTW, Week 29, 2020 Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight Outfit)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight Outfit):

Luke Jedi.jpg

a little late again, sorry about that :oops:

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Luke Jedi is cool. The HK blue Lightsaber and Taiwan Molded Face with snap cape are two of my favourite variants. A Unitoys Made in Hong Kong version is high on my variant wishlist but this is so hard to find especially in the UK.

L-R: Hong Kong (Smile Factory) with blue Lightsaber; No Coo (Smile Factory) with green Lightsaber; Taiwan with Molded Face and Snap Cape and green Lightsaber.

Plus my MOC. This is the first MOC I bought as an adult collector. Actually that's a lie I bought a Prune Face back in 2003 and a Logray when I started collecting again in 2017 but I didn't like them so moved them on so they don't count. Of the ones I intend to keep LJ was the 1st so technically its true honest :lol:

Attachments

• 69453C78-757B-4619-8414-85A328A29AE2.jpeg
    69453C78-757B-4619-8414-85A328A29AE2.jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 1,116
  • CD030985-AD83-4FE9-9093-493F6E3388B0.jpeg
    CD030985-AD83-4FE9-9093-493F6E3388B0.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 1,116
  • A3AE0C6E-D1CF-4FD4-B241-D3982A9C4943.jpeg
    A3AE0C6E-D1CF-4FD4-B241-D3982A9C4943.jpeg
    190.1 KB · Views: 1,114

DarthHamblin

Jedi Master
Really nice figures and really like your carded figure.
Been watching a few on eBay but the value of this figure complete now has gone up quite a bit.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
TheJabbaWookie said:
Luke Jedi is cool. The HK blue Lightsaber and Taiwan Molded Face with snap cape are two of my favourite variants. A Unitoys Made in Hong Kong version is high on my variant wishlist but this is so hard to find especially in the UK.

L-R: Hong Kong (Smile Factory) with blue Lightsaber; No Coo (Smile Factory) with green Lightsaber; Taiwan with Molded Face and Snap Cape and green Lightsaber.

Plus my MOC. This is the first MOC I bought as an adult collector. Actually that's a lie I bought a Prune Face back in 2003 and a Logray when I started collecting again in 2017 but I didn't like them so moved them on so they don't count. Of the ones I intend to keep LJ was the 1st so technically its true honest :lol:

An excellent trio of figures, Jay, and a lovely MOC too!

Thanks for sharing :)

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight Outfit). An excellent figure! He came with a generous amount of accessories, and all of them made perfect sense (well, apart from the blue version of his lightsaber, but more on that in a minute). The figure could hold both of his weapons, he could wear his cloak correctly, and said cloak was also removable! What more could a young boy ask from a Luke Jedi Knight figure? :-D This is an example of Kenner's efforts at their very best, IMHO, and is certainly a much better one than their feeble subsequent Luke Endor figure, where they felt the need to mould his helmet in place and exclude his lightsaber!

And speaking of lightsabers, whilst this figure can be found with both a snap fastening cloak and a sewn cloak, the lightsaber can also be found in a variety of shades, and I'm not talking about the blue version (more on which imminently). I'm no expert in 'V' numbers (for that I use The Imperial Gunnery :-D), but I do have two eyes that work, and they tell me that the shade of green used in Luke Jedi Knight's lightsaber varied a fair bit from a dark green to a quite light green... and that's just in the examples I happen to own. Obviously there could easily be further shades of green that I do not own:

Luke and His Amazing Technicolour Lightsaber - 09.jpg

Although sadly (and foolishly) I had stopped collecting the figures by the time 'Return of the Jedi' came out in 1983, I certainly didn't lose all interest in them, and I can clearly remember the first time I saw a Luke Jedi Knight MOC with a BLUE lightsaber hanging on the pegs in my local Co-op, and being positively outraged by it! :lol: Luke's saber was transparently green in ROJ, so how the hell could Kenner make such a dog's breakfast out of it? It's not like it was the first time they mucked up Luke's saber colour either, having made a right royal balls up of it not once, but twice already by giving both Luke Farmboy and Luke Bespin a highly inaccurate YELLOW saber!... How the childhood me bristled at their incompetence! :lol:

Of course in reality, although I personally certainly saw green sabered Luke Jedi Knight figures long before I saw a blue one, the first trailers for the film itself featured Luke wielding a blue lightsaber on board Jabba's Sail Barge as he rescued Princess Leia. It was actually quite late on in the production process that George Lucas decided to switch the colour to green to make it obvious it was a different saber to the one Luke had lost on Bespin at the end of 'The Empire Strikes Back', so perhaps the blue sabered figure was a result of someone working off early production stills / info? If so, the blue version becomes a lot more explicable... even though it remains HIDEOUSLY WRONG, DAMN IT! :lol: :lol: :lol: ... Still, at least you can put your blue saber with your Luke Bespin figure to correct that one :wink:

Here are my three. A Taiwan moulded face with snap cape, grey blaster and dark green saber, a no COO painted face with sewn cloak, brown / grey blaster and light green saber, and a Hong Kong painted face with sewn cape, brown / grey blaster and blue saber. Notice how much taller Luke becomes in Taiwan!

Luke and His Amazing Technicolour Lightsaber - 01.jpg

Luke and His Amazing Technicolour Lightsaber - 02.jpg

Luke and His Amazing Technicolour Lightsaber - 03.jpg

Luke and His Amazing Technicolour Lightsaber - 04.jpg

Luke and His Amazing Technicolour Lightsaber - 05.jpg

Luke and His Amazing Technicolour Lightsaber - 06.jpg

Luke and His Amazing Technicolour Lightsaber - 07.jpg

Luke and His Amazing Technicolour Lightsaber - 08.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:

Wow 3 mint figures and a beautiful moc, even with the little damage on the back :wink: ok I believe you, it is your first :lol: my first moc as an adult collector is a anakin tri-logo with a danish price sticker and I still have it :lol: oh I did not know that you have collected before and started again :shock: so when do you started to collect the first time as an adult and why did you stop to collect ? :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight Outfit). An excellent figure! He came with a generous amount of accessories, and all of them made perfect sense (well, apart from the blue version of his lightsaber, but more on that in a minute). The figure could hold both of his weapons, he could wear his cloak correctly, and said cloak was also removable! What more could a young boy ask from a Luke Jedi Knight figure? :-D This is an example of Kenner's efforts at their very best, IMHO, and is certainly a much better one than their feeble subsequent Luke Endor figure, where they felt the need to mould his helmet in place and exclude his lightsaber!

And speaking of lightsabers, whilst this figure can be found with both a snap fastening cloak and a sewn cloak, the lightsaber can also be found in a variety of shades, and I'm not talking about the blue version (more on which imminently). I'm no expert in 'V' numbers (for that I use The Imperial Gunnery :-D), but I do have two eyes that work, and they tell me that the shade of green used in Luke Jedi Knight's lightsaber varied a fair bit from a dark green to a quite light green... and that's just in the examples I happen to own. Obviously there could easily be further shades of green that I do not own:

Although sadly (and foolishly) I had stopped collecting the figures by the time 'Return of the Jedi' came out in 1983, I certainly didn't lose all interest in them, and I can clearly remember the first time I saw a Luke Jedi Knight MOC with a BLUE lightsaber hanging on the pegs in my local Co-op, and being positively outraged by it! :lol: Luke's saber was transparently green in ROJ, so how the hell could Kenner make such a dog's breakfast out of it? It's not like it was the first time they mucked up Luke's saber colour either, having made a right royal balls up of it not once, but twice already by giving both Luke Farmboy and Luke Bespin a highly inaccurate YELLOW saber!... How the childhood me bristled at their incompetence! :lol:

Of course in reality, although I personally certainly saw green sabered Luke Jedi Knight figures long before I saw a blue one, the first trailers for the film itself featured Luke wielding a blue lightsaber on board Jabba's Sail Barge as he rescued Princess Leia. It was actually quite late on in the production process that George Lucas decided to switch the colour to green to make it obvious it was a different saber to the one Luke had lost on Bespin at the end of 'The Empire Strikes Back', so perhaps the blue sabered figure was a result of someone working off early production stills / info? If so, the blue version becomes a lot more explicable... even though it remains HIDEOUSLY WRONG, DAMN IT! :lol: :lol: :lol: ... Still, at least you can put your blue saber with your Luke Bespin figure to correct that one :wink:

Here are my three. A Taiwan moulded face with snap cape, grey blaster and dark green saber, a no COO painted face with sewn cloak, brown / grey blaster and light green saber, and a Hong Kong painted face with sewn cape, brown / grey blaster and blue saber. Notice how much taller Luke becomes in Taiwan!

Wow thanks for another great post from you with great info. I have never noticed that the sabers had so many different green colours and also a few in blue :shock: some beautiful figures and a lot of sabers that you have :wink:

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Pomse2001 said:
TheJabbaWookie said:

Wow 3 mint figures and a beautiful moc, even with the little damage on the back :wink: ok I believe you, it is your first :lol: my first moc as an adult collector is a anakin tri-logo with a danish price sticker and I still have it :lol: oh I did not know that you have collected before and started again :shock: so when do you started to collect the first time as an adult and why did you stop to collect ? :D
1997-2006; 2016-present day
Moved in with ex into small 1 bedroom flat in London. No space. Sold most of the boxed collection save 2-3 favourite items; kept best example of each loose 79 collection (78 as it turns out I sold off my Rebel Commander by mistake) :lol:

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:

Nice. Same three as me. Thought you would have more particularly as the Taiwan got progressively lighter faced throughout and would be a noticeable enough paint variant for you surely?

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
TheJabbaWookie said:
Nice. Same three as me. Thought you would have more particularly as the Taiwan got progressively lighter faced throughout and would be a noticeable enough paint variant for you surely?

To be brutally honest, I wasn't aware of that particular variation. I'll have to look out for it :)

I would like a Lili Ledy pink cape Luke Jedi, but alas don't have one of those either yet. Maybe next year! :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom