Value of graded items in comparison to grades?

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
A discussion with my wife earlier has got me thinking, and it would be interesting for any other opinions.
On graded items, obviously the higher grade adds to the value. And an 80 grade should in theory be worth slightly less than an 85 grade.
So how much more would you say a 90 grade could be over an 85 grade ?

DarthHamblin

Jedi Master
Not sure if there's really a set percentage the value goes up, think it might depend on the item and the seller.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
So few items get a grade of 90, so if you are a collector who wants a full run of 'graded 90's' you need deep pockets and hit big when you need to. I don't understand the obsession with high grades, its hard enough putting an average run together. :lol:

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
theforceuk said:
So few items get a grade of 90, so if you are a collector who wants a full run of 'graded 90's' you need deep pockets and hit big when you need to. I don't understand the obsession with high grades, its hard enough putting an average run together. :lol:

That was close to our original discussion at home. :lol:
I have a 90 grade luke x wing and I didn't pay more for him than a few examples I have seen recently at auctions.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
It's good to talk to none collectors about this sort of stuff some times to get a different perspective.

DarthHamblin

Jedi Master
And also the figure in question I'm sure a 90 vinyl cape Jawa or blue snaggletooth would be a lot more than say a 90 logray or rancor keeper in price jump through the grades. I saw on eBay the other day a moc lando general for £300 ungraded but good contrition and then a 95 graded moc of the same figure for £8000. Mind you don't really care much for grades figures prefer mine loose how bout you guys?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
DarthHamblin said:
And also the figure in question I'm sure a 90 vinyl cape Jawa or blue snaggletooth would be a lot more than say a 90 logray or rancor keeper in price jump through the grades. I saw on eBay the other day a moc lando general for £300 ungraded but good contrition and then a 95 graded moc of the same figure for £8000. Mind you don't really care much for grades figures prefer mine loose how bout you guys?

That Lando General AFA 95 has been listed for about 10 years now. I think the seller has some other high grade items listed. He is saying I don't really want to sell these items, but everything has a price.

DarthHamblin

Jedi Master
Yeah I noticed there all 95 last 17 or high value items and yeah I did read the listing, he states he doesn't want to sell but 8k is a lot of money 🤔

DarthStanley

Sith Lord
Supporter
We all know a loose Lobot is a £15-20 figure & I got a UKG90 (F90,P85).I was told it was only the 3rd to achieve that grade & was curious to see what price it would fetch so I put it on eBay auction.

Imagine how shocked I was when it sold for £475!!! :eek:

There are quite a few people who are putting together a full loose UKG90 run & when the rare ones like Luke FB,Luke Stormie,Luke Hoth,Princess Leia Organa,Stormtrooper,R2's,CCP etc come up for sale,they go for silly money.

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
DarthStanley said:
We all know a loose Lobot is a £15-20 figure & I got a UKG90 (F90,P85).I was told it was only the 3rd to achieve that grade & was curious to see what price it would fetch so I put it on eBay auction.

There are quite a few people who are putting together a full loose UKG90 run & when the rare ones like Luke FB,Luke Stormie,Luke Hoth,Princess Leia Organa,Stormtrooper,R2's,CCP etc come up for sale,they go for silly money.

Well done on that outcome !!
Out of interest, was there much difference between yours and a 85 grade price wise?

jared007

Padawan
I had a similar discussion recently about this recently. In general, it's quite variable, with various elements to a pecking order that effects prices:

* Overall price is determined by popularity of figure - this basically follows the market for loose figures. Eg, AFA80 Luke Farmboy will always be more than an AFA80 Chief Chirpa
* Price gradient is not linear, in fact it seems to be exponential once you go past 80/85/90. The jump from 75 to 80 is minimal, but the jump from 85 to 90 can be double. But this is not always seen across all figures
* Grading company plays into it. AFA is desired, respected and considered the standard to aspire to. Very few will treat UKG or CAS with similar respect for the same grade. So a UKG 90 might only be worth as much as an AFA 80
* Plus you then have the often unexplained gyrations of an open market. Sometimes high grades go for a bargain, sometimes low grades are bid up for no obvious reason

If think there is also probably some general rule if you are in it for the money - break even in terms of selling on is probably around the AFA80 level. AFA80 market prices factor in the loose figure price, plus the grading cost and shipping. So if you are trying to make money, you have to be fairly confident your item is going to grade an 85 otherwise it may not be worth it.

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
Thanks Jared for the excellent reply.
I probably won't get my Afa Greedo re graded by UKG to match my other 20 backs now :lol:

DarthStanley

Sith Lord
Supporter
welshwookie said:
DarthStanley said:

Well done on that outcome !!
Out of interest, was there much difference between yours and a 85 grade price wise?

There's a massive difference mate as an 85 grade Lobot is worth around £45-£65.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
theforceuk said:
That Lando General AFA 95 has been listed for about 10 years now. I think the seller has some other high grade items listed. He is saying I don't really want to sell these items, but everything has a price.

More like 15 years. I remember looking at it when I was starting out and thinking I would buy it if i ever won the lottery. God knows what he has paid in listings fees but sure.

jared007 said:
* Price gradient is not linear, in fact it seems to be exponential once you go past 80/85/90. The jump from 75 to 80 is minimal, but the jump from 85 to 90 can be double. But this is not always seen across all figures

Gotta disagree here. In my experience there is, or was, a massive drop off in price once you go below AFA80.
If you took the time you could put together a very nice run of AFA75's, that were all but as good as 80's (allowing for the nonsense that two figures with identical sub grades can have a different final grade) for a fraction of the price.

A lot of collectors don't wanna know below AFA80.

UKG and CAS are newer and weren't about when I was actively buying so the above may now have changed. I suspect your third point has more than a grain of truth to it.

You're spot on with your first and fourth points though.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
He wont have paid anything in listing fees I don't reckon. Not until he sells it. This is the third time we have discussed this weasel and the third time you have forgotten about chatting about it. :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom