SWTOTW, Week 32, 2020 Yoda

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Kader

Kader did not produce an Orange Snake variant and in fact the Figure didn't debut on a card Back to much later in the run probably on a 48 back.

Early Kader Yodas also featured a MADE IN HONG KONG tag, but this is made of cotton and is much harder to find (only a few known examples). Perhaps, and this is just speculation on my behalf, they were found in the figures found in the baggies that came with the Darth Vader carry case or the ESB 6-pack.

The Kader Yodas are sometimes called "Grey Heads" and "Green Heads". The grey heads were made of a plastic that tended to discolour to a grey colour with time, hence the name, whereas the later green heads do not discolour.

The Kader snakes are rubbery like the Smile snakes but are easily identified by the circular epms that can be located on the top or bottom of the head and half way along the body.

On the grey heads, like the head of the Yoda itself, the snakes are prone to degradation, turning a greenish colour and so are often termed "green snake" Yodas. There are some Yodas termed "true green snake" which have a proper green snake, but these are all Smile Yoda figures and all trace back to the same seller, and can not be verified.

On the transition green Head Yodas and later Kader no coos an tan epm version of the snake that doesn't degrade can be found. You can see this on the green head figure on the right of the pic below.

The Kader canes can be found in dark brown and red brown colours and can again be identified by the circular epm found on the arch of the cane. The belts can also be identified by the circular epm on the lightsaber holder (v5 on TIG).

Attachments

• 5F65F3A5-243C-4711-B987-7ED76F1FEFA1.jpeg
    5F65F3A5-243C-4711-B987-7ED76F1FEFA1.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 728

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
POTF, European No Coo and Meccano

Things are definitely getting complicated here. If you're interested in reading up about it you should head over to the Vintage Yoda Action Figures group on Facebook where Jon Meade has posted a very comprehensive guide to the Kader factory figures.

Suffice to say Kader received the Unitoys moulds and scarred the Coo to produce these 3 sought after variants. Each differs slightly from the other in its paint apps with the Meccano for example having darker limbs and "true black" eyes.

The POTF and European no Coo variants are found with a mixture of Kader No Coo EPM / Kader No Coo and Unitoys accessories. The "tan" Kader no coo snake is based on the Unitoys mould and is unique to these figures. There is also a softer more flexible Cane based on the Unitoys mould.

The Meccano variant has a soft cane also but it is different to the Euro no coo. The belt is based on the Unitoys mould but is softer and light browner in appearance.

Attachments

• 7E1DBFF6-4160-4733-A954-022C7ABEC623.jpeg
    7E1DBFF6-4160-4733-A954-022C7ABEC623.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 724
  • 045B1D94-7195-447E-9FFB-E53FF3134274.jpeg
    045B1D94-7195-447E-9FFB-E53FF3134274.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 722

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Lili Ledy

Kader sent their original moulds to Lili Ledy (probably around the time they took over producing figures with the Unitoys moulds). Lili Ledy produced two figures. Retorno (the first) using the original family I Hong Kong Coo, and later the Regreso using a scarred version of this Coo.

Both figures have unique accessories with a richer redder cane and rounded corner cloak. The cloak and snake often have paint marks on as they were packed wet, and the Regreso figure is often still tacky after all these years.

I only have the Regreso. Still looking for a Retorno at the right price.

Attachments

• D83D2E9F-47BE-4A14-8160-4C9AB89D7F6B.jpeg
    D83D2E9F-47BE-4A14-8160-4C9AB89D7F6B.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 716

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
POCH

Parts were also sent to Spain to produce the Poch Grey Head and Apple Poch figures.

Poch figures are almost always found with melt marks and have a unique paint application. There is an extremely light paint variant as well as a darker variant. The key here is the consistency as there is a Kader light paint app which is very similar in colour but is never applied with the same consistency (see last pic).

Because Kader took over the production of Yoda figures with Unitoys moulds figures and accessories from both factories were sent to Spain, assembled, painted and kitted out resulting in figures not only with varying accessories, but also mixed up Heads, bodies and limbs.

For example my Apple Poch with light paint apps has Unitoys head and body but Kader limbs.

Also both my Apple grey heads have Kader heads but Unitoys bodies and limbs.

Attachments

• D3CA1FEA-DE25-4F0B-BE4C-80DD8AE6F4A3.jpeg
    D3CA1FEA-DE25-4F0B-BE4C-80DD8AE6F4A3.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 718
  • C73BB5EC-DC7D-4C30-B06C-5A3AB1C6730B.jpeg
    C73BB5EC-DC7D-4C30-B06C-5A3AB1C6730B.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 721
  • 7909FD7B-B06A-450C-9C06-615986AD6B39.jpeg
    7909FD7B-B06A-450C-9C06-615986AD6B39.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 719
  • 741BA3D4-5FDE-43BA-92E2-298CC98A2FBF.jpeg
    741BA3D4-5FDE-43BA-92E2-298CC98A2FBF.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 718
  • ADE696C7-2B03-4F24-9397-DB7E0D10AF1E.jpeg
    ADE696C7-2B03-4F24-9397-DB7E0D10AF1E.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 719
  • 87DAAC04-63D9-4D74-9E25-CA0A14974B18.jpeg
    87DAAC04-63D9-4D74-9E25-CA0A14974B18.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 718
  • 3F7E2963-2F98-40E3-8EE1-3D174BB67276.jpeg
    3F7E2963-2F98-40E3-8EE1-3D174BB67276.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 715

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
TheJabbaWookie said:
POCH

Parts were also sent to Spain to produce the Poch Grey Head and Apple Poch figures.

Poch figures are almost always found with melt marks and have a unique paint application. There is an extremely light paint variant as well as a darker variant. The key here is the consistency as there is a Kader light paint app which is very similar in colour but is never applied with the same consistency (see last pic).

Because Kader took over the production of Yoda figures with Unitoys moulds figures and accessories from both factories were sent to Spain, assembled, painted and kitted out resulting in figures not only with varying accessories, but also mixed up Heads, bodies and limbs.

For example my Apple Poch with light paint apps has Unitoys head and body but Kader limbs.

Terrific post, Jay. Thanks for sharing your wonderful collection of Yodas and for all the fascinating information.

If only every TOTW post could have this much detail! :-D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
Yoda is my favourite figure. As Jeremy says what's not to like? He has so many accessories and so many variants.

I'll start off by posting a link to the coo guide created by the might Wolff as this will help identify what the f**k I'm talking about :lol:
https://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/coo-guide-3-0/esb/yoda/#a

Smile
First up is Smile factory (family III on Wolff's excellent coo guide). There are actually three known variations of the Coo with a 1a, 1b and 1c.

Smile is simples really. There is the early Orange Snake figure which debuted on the 32 cards and ended with the 41 back; and there's the brown snake which first appeared on the 41d and ran to the end of the run.

The light coloured Yoda should be paired with the Orange Snake and light brown cane, while the dark green Yoda (often affectionately called the Pac-Man Yoda because of the shape of his eyes) should be paired with the brown snake and darker brown cane. There is a variant of the dark green Yoda with light paint apps on the limbs (the figure on the right of my three below. This also happens to have the Family III 1c coo not shown on Wolff's coo guide - I'll see if I can add a pic at a later date).

Both the Orange and brown Smile snakes can be identified and differentiated from the Unitoy snake by a gate scar found on the side of the snake as opposed to a sprue found in the mouths of the Unitoy snakes. The Smile Orange Snake is rigid, while the Smile brown snake is rubbery.

The Smile factory cane can be identified and differentiated from the Unitoy cane because of a lack of detail on the reverse of the cane. I believe it is always narrow whereas the Unitoy cane is often wide but can be narrow, but always has more detail.

The belt is thinner than both the Unitoys and Kader variants and can be identified by the circular epms found on the belt strap itself. The Smile Yoda can be found with belt version 1, 3, 4 and 6 on TIG.

Thanks mate for sharing your awesome collection and all the great info about the variants 8)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
TheJabbaWookie said:
POCH

Terrific post, Jay. Thanks for sharing your wonderful collection of Yodas and for all the fascinating information.

If only every TOTW post could have this much detail! :-D

I agree, It could be cool if every TOTW had this info :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom