Anyone else having a vintage drought?

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
i have bought very little this year. As people have said it doesn't seem right blowing loads of cash when you don't know what the future will bring. Collecting has always been my escape and this year I just haven't been in the mood. When I do make purchases it's usually at the shows as I like to see what I'm buying, but the lack of FF and Echo have taken the fun out of it. I've always liked going to the shows and seeing everyone, viewing what's on sale, striking a deal and walking around with my purchase talking to the others. If I buy something off ebay it just goes on the shelf and I hardly look at it. I much prefer the walking around selecting an item rather than angrily bidding against a stranger online.
There's no denying that the crazy prices have soured it a bit also. I got back into collecting at the start of 2015 so still consider myself a newish collector but looking at todays ridiculous prices it makes me yearn for the good old days. The prices on Facebook are too rich for my blood and by the time I see an item 16 other people have claimed it!
I'm really optimistic for 2021. I think if we can just get through the next few months the back end of next year will be great. People will be well up for getting out there and the shows will be brilliant. Roll on Autumn Echo and Christmas FF 2021! Seems a long way off but after this year we all need something to aim for. You never know the prices might even drop?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
After a very busy start to 2020, I have really slowed down in the last few months. This is mainly due to being pretty much there with my collection and the remaining pieces I need are proving difficult to find (Pali 12-bk Vader reseal, Dengar mailer, The Force Lightsaber, Death Star canopy etc). I'm happy to wait it out for these, although I haven't been looking much, to be honest, as work has been all-consuming :(

benny100

Sith Lord
I just think after completing my loose run about 6 years ago I've been on a steady decline year on year.
There's nothing like opening a parcel and handling a loose figure, perhaps one youve not held for many years before.
Went big into mocs and managed to get most before prices went stupid but with only 3 of those for a full run it will be a once or twice yearly purchase, perhaps only upgrades.
I love looking at peoples variants and cardback variation runs etc but have no desire to do that myself.
In an ideal world I'll leave the fb groups after my Moc run is done and just get back to enjoying the forum more often.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Palifan said:
Our collections are for us to enjoy so we shouldn't be looking at items and feeling any sort of regret at the price we've ended up paying, it's just not worth it for me.

Ian

I do this all the time and believe me it's not great, so if you can I would take Ian's advice, unfortunately for me this doesn't work as if I don't buy something I feel equally as bad as I have missed out on something I may never get the opportunity to buy or own again.

poncho

Grand Master
I've bought nothing this year the odd loose figure that's it. I lost the bug a couple of years back. Theres too much starwars content these days which is good thing for most. but its diluted my taste for the franchise in general the modern retro also left a bad taste in my mouth they should of left the old scuplts alone.

jayums

Jedi Master
Not so good for me on the collecting front! Had to sell up most of my collection to help fund house move last year, and uncertainty with employment meant I had to sell off the rest!

I am planning to rebuild a loose collection, average condition , but still can't quite bring myself to pay the prices. I will collect next year, but go slow and steady, although I am probably not going to bother with accessories to make it more affordable.

Crumm

Padawan
jayums said:
Not so good for me on the collecting front! Had to sell up most of my collection to help fund house move last year, and uncertainty with employment meant I had to sell off the rest!

I am planning to rebuild a loose collection, average condition , but still can't quite bring myself to pay the prices. I will collect next year, but go slow and steady, although I am probably not going to bother with accessories to make it more affordable.

If prices keep going up like they are doing, I may need to reconsider finishing my mint loose run at all!

jayums

Jedi Master
I've actually picked up a few things this month and started to collect loose in fair-ish condition. In no great rush though! I can't see myself paying hundreds for figures, so will probably have a few gaps. The most expensive figures are ones I don't have any nostalgic connection to really (last 17) so I can happily live without those ewoks and the boring purple dude etc

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
This year is not off to a good start, it's nearly March and I have not bought anything. I have reduced my focus to just 30 backs but given how buoyant the market has been I thought something would have come out of the woodwork!

jayums

Jedi Master
Wreck-It Ralph said:
This year is not off to a good start, it's nearly March and I have not bought anything. I have reduced my focus to just 30 backs but given how buoyant the market has been I thought something would have come out of the woodwork!

Judging from your amazing collection in the showcase section , you don't need any more mate :lol:

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
jayums said:
Wreck-It Ralph said:

Judging from your amazing collection in the showcase section , you don't need any more mate :lol:

I only need a few more pieces and then I'll stop moaning :lol:

jayums

Jedi Master
Wreck-It Ralph said:
jayums said:
Wreck-It Ralph said:

I only need a few more pieces and then I'll stop moaning :lol:

I'd only need one of your pieces and I'd stop moaning :lol:

olisuds

Sith Lord
Collecting has been very slow for me after having 6 months out of work. However I've noticed that eBay has really dried up and there is very little interesting stuff for sale. My usual saved sellers have had nothing for sale for months. Even the classifieds on the forums don't have much. Perhaps it's all moved to facebook. I'm struggling to keep up with all the facebook groups though and stuff sells so quickly I usually miss it.

jayums

Jedi Master
olisuds said:
Collecting has been very slow for me after having 6 months out of work. However I've noticed that eBay has really dried up and there is very little interesting stuff for sale. My usual saved sellers have had nothing for sale for months. Even the classifieds on the forums don't have much. Perhaps it's all moved to facebook. I'm struggling to keep up with all the facebook groups though and stuff sells so quickly I usually miss it.

That's what I think has happened. I don't think that's a bad thing in a sense to escape eBay fees (which have contributed to price increases imo).

Equally I have no desire to traipse around Facebook so once I've completed my loose run I think I will be pretty much done with regards to vintage Star Wars. Not in a bad way ; I'm just happy with what I've got! Might save up and get a really nice moc or two for display maybe , we shall see !

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom