Vintage y wing replacement canopy and afterburner struts.

Just picked up what looks to be a decent y wing with a view to restore back to glory.

Does anyone have any experience with replacement struts - Looking 3D printed rather than vintage replacements due to budget. Would there be one type to recommend above others? Colour or durability etc.

I actually have one strut left from my original which I binned it foolishly 5 years ago which I'm going to use as a token link back to my toy.

Any links or advice appreciated. Also if anyone has a spare canopy going that would be something I would be after as well

Thanks guys

lejackal

Grand Master
3d printing of replacement vintage parts is not really something that's supported on the forum.

Noted

I dislike the idea of repo blasters but the struts are just out of my budget.

If anyone has a canopy or strut end caps though let me know 🙂

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
You will find opinions on reproductions vary. I personally don't have a problem with ones that are either noticeably different from the originals in sculpt, or are cast/printed in a different colour. They will never be mistaken for originals, and I understand some original parts are prohibitively expensive for some collectors. It's the ones that are made to look and feel authentic that are frowned upon.

It's frustrating really as I kept all my stuff from the 80s till about 7 years ago when I gave half of it away and binned some rougher looking pieces. A y wing that had fallen to bits, a bright yellow 78 tie fighter, 2 yellowed x wings.

I still have a lot but even looking back just salvaging those struts and bits and pieces would have made sense, but such is life.

This was all before the Force Awakens came out though and re ignited a love of SW

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I don't think you'll find a single collector on here without similar regrets :) mine all went to the tip in the late 80s, I remember people rifling through it all even back then.

jayums

Jedi Master
Admiral Snackbar said:
Noted

I dislike the idea of repo blasters but the struts are just out of my budget.

If anyone has a canopy or strut end caps though let me know 🙂

If I see any knocking about will keep you posted.

Happy hunting!

Ps. Personally I see nothing wrong with restoring vehicles to former glory . I love seeing some of the amazing reseal moc efforts on here. It is obvious that there aren't enough struts / parts to go around , so what are people supposed to do if they don't have pots of money to spend on being fleeced by douche bags who hoover up originals in job lots and then rip toys apart to flog the parts? Or perhaps they just throw it away?! As long as it makes an old toy look complete, and it won't fool anybody who collects into thinking it's vintage (which 3D prints won't), I can't see the problem myself, although I appreciate not everyone agrees. 3D prints would bug me, so they wouldn't be for me , but if you're happy with cheap 3D prints and then play the long game (if it bothers you enough) to replace them over time with vintage when you see them come up at a fair price (and they do!). Just don't be that other douche bag who tries to flog it as the real thing :lol:

I think that's the plan. Maybe build it up over time but in the meantime I want it to look good.

To be honest I could probably just buy a complete one, but where's the fun in that!?

Thanks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom