Advice again (sorry)

Charlton

Padawan
Hi gentlemen

Hope you are all well.

I'm looking to sell my Jawa boxed figure
And I'm going to get it graded there are a lot of extras that the company offer.

Is there anything I should pay extra for which would help me sell it.

Thanks Sean

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Which grading company are you planning to use? There are a few options. AFA are the best known and (with a high grade) will add the most value. But as they're USA based, it's a long and expensive process.

UKG are UK based so a bit cheaper (not necessarily quicker) you can pay most grading companies more for a faster service, which is one of the 'extras'.

Before deciding to grade you should look over the condition carefully, as any score lower than an 80 can actually reduce the value. Collectors of graded items are generally only interested in high grades, so if the box has any major creases or tears then you might not make your money back on the grading fee.

It's worth noting that to an 'outsider' grading scores may seem incredibly harsh, it's not like a percentage grade. A tiny mark can reduce the grade significantly, if you look on eBay you will find AFA 60 or 70 items that looks pretty good!

Other extras may include a certificate or extra condition report, I wouldn't bother with those for your boxed Jawa, they are more relevant to things like prototypes.

Charlton

Padawan
Thanks Edd

This is the list they offered me.

Attachments

• 3F06B12A-3A3C-4B9A-9711-38239C3A8B84.png
    3F06B12A-3A3C-4B9A-9711-38239C3A8B84.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 775

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I've used UKG a few times and have always had the cleaning service and the poly bag.

jayums

Jedi Master
Thought it was worth adding that the Jawa Sean is selling is MISB so I suggested to him that grading would be the way to go on this item, even if the box condition was not the best. Apart from protection / making it more displayable, would grading not also authenticate that the item is sealed to any potential buyers ? (Genuine question, not a rhetorical one :lol: )

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I wouldn't pay any extra just the bogged standard cost. I don't think UKG are fast tracking orders at the moment so all orders have a 12 week turn around time.

Charlton

Padawan
Thanks for the advice gentlemen.

I emailed hakes auction last night with the pictures and this was there reply which was quite nice to read.

I'm going to get it graded then see what happens.

Thanks again Sean

Attachments

• E4AD44E9-0DD1-4A58-A285-A7518073F44B.jpeg
    E4AD44E9-0DD1-4A58-A285-A7518073F44B.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 664

lejackal

Grand Master
So that's £1200 approximately less the £70 or so to grade it and say £50 in shipping and then the seller fees of what, 20%?
You'll get around £840, less if you get a lower grade. It's your item but you may as well list it at £800 plus shipping etc here or on Facebook for the ballache of all that

lejackal

Grand Master
Actually the 1500 USD drops to £1090 on today's bank rate so you'll do well to clear £750

Charlton

Padawan
I'm uk based mate

I was just trying to get a feel of what it is worth
As I keep getting different opinions.

And they sold one in 2017.

And that was the only site we could find one on.

👍

jayums

Jedi Master
lejackal said:
Actually the 1500 USD drops to £1090 on today's bank rate so you'll do well to clear £750

I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't go north of that estimate. The only auction price I could find was in better condition and it went for just shy of 2k back in 2017. I know condition is everything but you would think it would be in with a shout.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I think lejackal raises a good point, considering it's going to take a minimum of three months to get it back from the graders, plus a load of hassle, and risk of damage/loss by posting it twice, due to the condition I'm not convinced you will see a huge gain in price compared to what it would sell for as-is right now. I may be wrong, with obscure items like this you never really know until they go to auction, but any desirable item will do pretty well on eBay from a 99p start, in fact sometimes better than selling for a buy it now price. The worst thing that can happen if it sells for way lower than you think it's worth is you keep it and get negative feedback. Also if you're worried about the hassle of eBay or your lack of reputation on there, I bet there are several big traders who would happily sell it on your behalf for a cut of the sale price.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
jayums said:
Thought it was worth adding that the Jawa Sean is selling is MISB so I suggested to him that grading would be the way to go on this item, even if the box condition was not the best. Apart from protection / making it more displayable, would grading not also authenticate that the item is sealed to any potential buyers ? (Genuine question, not a rhetorical one :lol: )

What's the chance that the seal would break in transit before it arrives at AFA, pretty high I would think!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom