Removing mould inside bubble?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
The lamp has arrived, I will report back! 8)

IMG_1599.jpeg

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Well it's made no visible difference. It might have killed it, no way of knowing really, so looks like plan B is needed.

welshwookie

Jedi Master
Supporter
Would you settle for the mold not being on the card back. But sort of like dust in the bottom of the bubble?
As I can't see how you are going to catch it all. From a small area lift.
If the mold was "wet" or alive so to speak what about trying cat litter or rice to see if it would have drawn it out from the bubble to the card back ?
I'll send you some wires, as if you use the dental sticks you might need a longer length for manipulation.
The fabric from pledge fluffy dusters might have good grab quality if you could get a piece small enough inside.
Best of luck on whatever you decide .

batman

Padawan
Sorry i did not see this topic any sooner, judging from your picture i'm too late to warn you that UVC light is the most effective light to damage the blister and cause it to yellow https://www.usplastic.com/knowledgebase/article.aspx?contentkey=858
I have been working with UVC light to battle mildew on plants and while it kills the mildew and it's spores it does not remove it so you will have to agitate it to remove it from the cardback.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
batman said:
Sorry i did not see this topic any sooner, judging from your picture i'm too late to warn you that UVC light is the most effective light to damage the blister and cause it to yellow https://www.usplastic.com/knowledgebase/article.aspx?contentkey=858
I have been working with UVC light to battle mildew on plants and while it kills the mildew and it's spores it does not remove it so you will have to agitate it to remove it from the cardback.

Thanks, appreciate it! I only put it under the light for 15 minutes as per the recommendations with the lamp, hopefully not enough to do any damage. I also covered the card with paper.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I had a thought. How about a very long, thin blade or knife? If you could insert it through the gap in the blister, you might be able to literally scrape off the mould and bring it back to the gap on the end of the blade. Brushing off the mould risks dislodging it and spreading it around inside the blister, but if it could be neatly retrieved back to the gap, you might be able to remove almost all of it from the blister.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Well attempt 1 has been pretty successful, before and after below :) I bought one of these from eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333735464167

There was a small gap at the bottom of the bubble where the seal was weak, so I popped it in there and with much manouevering and patience managed to get most of it off. I have probably made the bubble lift slightly worse, but I would prefer that to a load of mould inside. Will have another go later.

Screenshot 2021-03-27 at 13.38.39.png

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
Well attempt 1 has been pretty successful, before and after below :) I bought one of these from eBay:

There was a small gap at the bottom of the bubble where the seal was weak, so I popped it in there and with much manouevering and patience managed to get most of it off. I have probably made the bubble lift slightly worse, but I would prefer that to a load of mould inside. Will have another go later.

What a difference, well done with your perseverance.

Palifan

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:

Well that's a well spent 99P Edd :)

Great work and good to know you got there in the end.

Ian

Palifan

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
Palifan said:
Well that's a well spent 99P Edd :)

Yes, £20 on the UV lamp maybe not :oops:

Well you can't win them all but maybe you can use it to check that your loose weapons are all legit (or failing that maybe just use it to get a face tan :))

Ian

r5-d4cus

Padawan
I think I've got that version of 8D8 so was going to see if you were interested in it so you could send the other one back for a refund without worrying about getting a replacement. But what you've done there looks great! I'm in no rush to move my stuff on though, so will leave it a while; if you want me to send pics etc. of the one I've got in case you would be interested let me know and I can post some up or stick it in the valuations section.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
r5-d4cus said:
I think I've got that version of 8D8 so was going to see if you were interested in it so you could send the other one back for a refund without worrying about getting a replacement. But what you've done there looks great! I'm in no rush to move my stuff on though, so will leave it a while; if you want me to send pics etc. of the one I've got in case you would be interested let me know and I can post some up or stick it in the valuations section.

Thanks for the offer, I will drop you a message :)

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Big thanks to welshwookie for sending me some more tools in the post! I had another go this morning and 99% of it is now gone :) There is now a lift in the bottom right corner of the bubble and a little wear on the card where I was rubbing (in hindsight should have put some masking tape on it, whoops!) but it's still a lot better than it was before, and a big upgrade on my old one. Thanks all for the advice!

IMG_1629.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom