Abbreviations for the Newbies

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Thought we could start a thread in here that explains all the abbreviations in the hobby for all those newbies.
I'm assuming they will be able to use google, or the like, to figure out "POTF" etc but possibly not the likes of "MOC" etc etc.

So feel free to add any I miss, my list is only those that I could remember while typing this (ie, not many).

COO - Country Of Origin (A stamp telling you where a figure was made, beloved of variant collectors)
IOP - Imperial Out Post (Another UK forum, sadly very quiet these days)
MIB - Mint In Box
MISB - Mint In Sealed Box (The box has never been opened)
MOC - Mint On Card (Ie not re-sealed..........unless Han's selling it! :wink: :lol: )
MOMC - Mint On Mint Card
RS - Rebel Scum (Probably the biggest, and most anal, Star Wars forum)

plantman

Sith Lord
Great Idea Weaz

Could we include something that explained what "45 back-B" ie

45 back = cardback type/figures illustrated on reverse of card

It might be useful although its not an abbreviation

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
plantman said:
Great Idea Weaz

Yeah sure, I just need someone to fully explain all the 45 back- "A," "B" or "C" stuff to me! :lol: :oops:

sith-smith

Grand Master
weasel said:
plantman said:
Great Idea Weaz

Yeah sure, I just need someone to fully explain all the 45 back- "A," "B" or "C" stuff to me! :lol: :oops:

It simply implies a later vesion of the same back number of a card.

In simple terms cards are described by the number of figures that appear on the back. Sometimes cards with the same number of figures get re-issued with a slight difference for example....

on a Palitoy 12a it says 'with laser light and sound' later in the run it was reissued without it, hence the 12b

Of course where it gets really complicated is that difference country releases each have distinct card numbers and variations, so for example a Kenner 12a is different to a Palitoy.

sith-smith

Grand Master
weasel said:
Aye, but how the hell do you tell if its an "A" or "B" etc?

oh my god, did I not just explain all that? :roll:

You look at the card

In simple terms cards are described by the number of figures that appear on the back

:lol: :lol:

plantman

Sith Lord
I think he means how do you tell if it is a, b, c if you dont know what the differences are between the cards in the first place???

i may be wrong though..

sith-smith

Grand Master
plantman said:
I think he means how do you tell if it is a, b, c if you dont know what the differences are between the cards in the first place???

i may be wrong though..

Well, you don't. It's impossible unless you use a guide that says what is on the card for each variation.

I can tell with palitoy up to a point just by looking at the card, with Kenner....not a hope I'd need a guide.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Bingo!

So basically, unless you have an encylopaedic knowledge of SW card backs you haven't a ****ing mission of telling if something is an "A" or "B" back! (Assuming you don't use a guide book.)

sith-smith

Grand Master
weasel said:
Bingo!

So basically, unless you have an encylopaedic knowledge of SW card backs you haven't a ****ing mission of telling if something is an "A" or "B" back! (Assuming you don't use a guide book.)

correct.

han duo

Sith Lord
weasel said:
Thought we could start a thread in here that explains all the abbreviations in the hobby for all those newbies.
I'm assuming they will be able to use google, or the like, to figure out "POTF" etc but possibly not the likes of "MOC" etc etc.

So feel free to add any I miss, my list is only those that I could remember while typing this (ie, not many).

COO - Country Of Origin (A stamp telling you where a figure was made, beloved of variant collectors)
MIB - Mint In Box
MOC - Mint On Card (Ie not re-sealed..........unless Han's selling it! :wink: :lol: )
MOMC - Mint On Mint Card

yeah you forgot two;

IEGP - Irish Eat Green Potato's
NBK - Never Been Kissed
:lol: :wink:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
The old "A", "B" thing makes no difference to me, but I'm just thinking of someone starting out who may want to know.

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
han duo said:
weasel said:

MIB - Mint In Box
MOMC - Mint On Mint Card

yeah you forgot two;

IEGP - Irish Eat Green Potato's
NBK - Never Been Kissed
:lol: :wink:
Also....
MOCRBH- Mint on card resealed by Han.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom