How much is out there??

Imperial nut

Sith Lord
Hey

Over the last while i have been reading up and finding my feet in a whole world of starwars i never knew existed, (mainly this forum) and it seems especially through the showcase thread there is quite a lot of big collections out there.

A shop in ireland here that sells vintage star wars recently was fire damaged and i was gutted as there were a few bits i had my eye on when i could affford them.
And i am pretty sure the guy who owed the shop is pretty pissed off if it cost him any of his collection.

So this got me thinking, even with fires loss and ,,,,dare i say the rubbish tip :eek: circa 1987 do folks think that all the origional toys, figures ships are pretty much still out there or did most of them get chucked or lost?

I just dug out most of my "collection" or two toy boxes from the attic?

Are there massive uber collections in the U.S. or even the uk (one or two in the showcase qualify)

i know folks have focuses to stop them selves buying everything that was ever made, but has anyone ever gone for the motherload or all the toys and vehicles/playsets?

i know that this may be a bit noobish, but i have started having dreams about finding the jackpot in a dusty old toyshop :lol: :lol: :lol:

steve

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
I and many others cant focus and collect everything...It just requires a ton of space. Even with fires and disasters there was so much of it made back then...that the supply is still endless as far as I am concerned.

Imperial nut

Sith Lord
Yeah i reckon there is tons of it out there, even after finishing my imperial army (which could take years) i would mind picking up more, but MOC's and Baggies and variants terrify me especially when some of them go for craaazzyyy money.

And looking at some of the posts, its an itch that once your scratch it you are gonna have to go all the way, the toy collecting version of heroin :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

still maybe one stormtrooper MoC wont hurt will it???

steve

sith-smith

Grand Master
So this got me thinking, even with fires loss and ,,,,dare i say the rubbish tip :eek: circa 1987 do folks think that all the origional toys, figures ships are pretty much still out there or did most of them get chucked or lost?

There were millions of these things made. And millions got lost/destroyed. There's enough for you to get every figure and every vehicle/playset loose. It's when you start moving into rarer variations, and carded figures and sealed vehicles/playsets that it becomes harder. And I 'd be surprised if every figure ever made survives mint on a card.

Are there massive uber collections in the U.S. or even the uk (one or two in the showcase qualify)

Yes there are, but, not wishing to put down anyone's collection I'd be surprised if any of us on here would class as an uber collection.

As TFB correctly says most of us can't collect everything. There are many amazing collections on here but they have much more limited focus than an uber collection. Time, space, money and opportunity prevent most of us from doing this, and also desire. As They really did make so much stuff and I just don't have any desire to collect most of it.

i know folks have focuses to stop them selves buying everything that was ever made, but has anyone ever gone for the motherload or all the toys and vehicles/playsets?

Yes. This is quite a common focus. It's how I started. and is quite achievable.

i know that this may be a bit noobish, but i have started having dreams about finding the jackpot in a dusty old toyshop :lol: :lol: :lol:

Been there, done that, still dreaming it :lol:

stevemac1976

Jedi Master
There are some amazing collections out there (Jeffs Museum and Jedidallas) certainly spring to mind when you talk about collecting just about everything and there are certainly more focus collectors that have amazing collections.

I agree with the comments that there is still loads of stuff out there and it is only really when you move into the foreign (non us and uk) stuff that it starts to get a little bit harder. If you decide to move into prototype and pre-production then you start to bring the volume and cost element into it.

Either way your collection will develop with your own tastes, desires and wallet. 8)

Steve

jimmymindtricks

Jedi Master
some one posted a clip ones of a guy an old guy who collected everything from toy's to ,cereal boxes

i rember seeing a guest room filled wall to wall with moc's

he had quite a few props aswell

it looked like he could bearly open his front door because of all the stuff he had on display everywhere

maybe some one else remebers this clip , think it came from a tv show

Imperial nut

Sith Lord
Yeah

there are crazy ones out there, but yeah the vintage toys are the ones that kick off the nostalgia.
Cereal boxes and macdonalds Starwars disposable cups, for me, are a step too far. :)

So if i give it time a loose collection of vehicles and figures is what i am after, starting with the imperial side then maybe the rebels.

I just read that (although you guys already know :D ) hasbro have released a "more like the origionals" style, line of figures , probably boyed up by the popularity of the vintage ones?
IMG_2579.jpg

I dont get the point, but maybe just maybe (gonna get kicked off the forum) a modern giant AT-AT.
IMG_2566.jpg
:lol:
It is big,

steve

ctscanman68

Padawan
From what I've read about these, I think they're supposed to be a modern take on some of the vintage figures, and not an exact duplicate of the older style. Not that I'm an expert on that "modern" stuff or anything! :wink:

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
The only figure that is a replica from the vintage line is the special offer rocket firing fett, the rest are just modern figures on Semi-replica packaging.

tundra9

Sith Lord
jimmymindtricks said:
some one posted a clip ones of a guy an old guy who collected everything from toy's to ,cereal boxes

i rember seeing a guest room filled wall to wall with moc's

he had quite a few props aswell

it looked like he could bearly open his front door because of all the stuff he had on display everywhere

maybe some one else remebers this clip , think it came from a tv show

You thinking about Steven Sansweet? Here's a short video of him giving a tour of his "collection":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhllXGEQuyk

There should be about 5 parts, but I can't find them atm... He has everything........

ctscanman68

Padawan
Great video. Thanks for the share.
I was wondering when someone was going to mention Sansweet's collection. He is probably one of, if not THE man when it comes to Star Wars collections.
I love the "blue milk" he pours into the glass at the end. Nice touch.

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
ctscanman68 said:
Great video. Thanks for the share.
I was wondering when someone was going to mention Sansweet's collection. He is probably one of, if not THE man when it comes to Star Wars collections.
I love the "blue milk" he pours into the glass at the end. Nice touch.

Considering he was like 28 years old in 1977, I would think he could have ammassed a huge collection. Just scares me a little bit that he was in the toy aisles in 1977 looking thru toys as it was not common for adults to collect modern toys back then...."Hey kid...want sum candy???" :D :wink:

saber

Jedi Knight
I love seeing all those massive collections :mrgreen:

I'm not into collecting alsorts like cereal packs etc but you do get excited when seeing and
knowing how much Star Wars stuff id out there :shock:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom